Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I've been asked to do a memorial presentation for our high school reunion, showing scans of students and teachers who have passed away. I also have a short film to attach to this. Can I do a slide show in iPhoto and export it to FCPX? Any suggestions to make this interesting?

sjschall

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
I use iPhoto for slideshows fairly frequently. You can set music, ken burns effect, slide duration, etc. And yes, you can export directly from iPhoto to mov at a decent resolution and drop right into final cut. Works great.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I know aperture allows video... I put together a slideshow from a template and included a video clip for my then D90. Instead of the picture playing, it showed the video in the drop zone and cross faded the music in the background to the audio of the video then back to the music. Best of all it was a slideshow about a trip(s) so I was able to add the video in sequence with the pictures. I didn't need to put it in at a particular spot.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I've been asked to do a memorial presentation for our high school reunion, showing scans of students and teachers who have passed away. I also have a short film to attach to this. Can I do a slide show in iPhoto and export it to FCPX? Any suggestions to make this interesting?

iMovie was basically made for exactly this purpose and is extremely easy to use. I'm not sure why you wouldn't make your project in that, and then export it as a movie file that gets played.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
iMovie was basically made for exactly this purpose and is extremely easy to use. I'm not sure why you wouldn't make your project in that, and then export it as a movie file that gets played.

I'm not too familiar with iMovie since going with Final Cut. As long as I can do this with iPhoto and Final Cut, I should be good to go.

Now to find a musical background that's not too hokey or chiche', like Forever Young or Ava Maria.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I also have a short film to attach to this. Can I do a slide show in iPhoto and export it to FCPX? Any suggestions to make this interesting?

If you have FCPX do the entire thing in FCPX. You can place still shots directly int the time line. Then place your audio in there to. You can get fancy and use motion to animate the images if you want.

If you want more automation, yes iPhoto will automat the process and export to a video theta you can import to FCPX.

Which way to go depends on how much control you want over the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.