Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I believe someone said that the software reads the voltages incorrectly. So it gets confused and the battery is fine but the software is not. Making the iPhone 5 shut down randomly for those software bugs.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
I believe someone said that the software reads the voltages incorrectly. So it gets confused and the battery is fine but the software is not. Making the iPhone 5 shut down randomly for those software bugs.

I believe its much better in beta 4, my iPhone 5 is running much better i have background refresh off, reduce white point on (makes it less bright and removes the purple display issue which is caused over age on pretty much all iPhones 5's) and reduce motion on and the device is easily lasting the full day with 3g data enabled, getting about 9/10 hours usage with 12 hours standby. if i recall this is about the same i was getting under 6.1.4

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I believe its much better in beta 4, my iPhone 5 is running much better i have background refresh off, reduce white point on (makes it less bright and removes the purple display issue which is caused over age on pretty much all iPhones 5's) and reduce motion on and the device is easily lasting the full day with 3g data enabled, getting about 9/10 hours usage with 12 hours standby. if i recall this is about the same i was getting under 6.1.4

But the random shutdown is gone?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I hope 7.1 fixes battery issues that some users on this forum have been experiencing but I'm not too optimistic about it.

Last edited:

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I am getting terrible battery drain is iOS 7.1 beta 4, phone went from 29%-21% without touching it and when I plugged it in dropped instantly to 17% and then just now went from 25%-20% in an instant

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
No battery issues on mine anymore on beta 4, 7.0.4 for me was terrible.

I just find it so odd. I've had no battery issues on any version of iOS 7 on my iphone 5 and yet others have and those who have had issues have not seen them go away in newer versions. I hope a lot of users experience what you have in 7.1

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
My battery life has sucked since I got my iP5 last September. The beta doesn't seem to have any effect. It's pretty much impossible to tell if its better or not. All I know is by the time I get home from work my battery is in the teens. Nothing seems to help.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
My battery life has sucked since I got my iP5 last September. The beta doesn't seem to have any effect. It's pretty much impossible to tell if its better or not. All I know is by the time I get home from work my battery is in the teens. Nothing seems to help.

There are so many variables that affect battery life that it's difficult to nail down in 1 attempt:

- Do you have a strong signal at work? less than 2 bars and your battery takes a hit trying to maintain connection to the nearest cell tower.

- Have you tried to restore your phone as NEW and not from a backup?

- Have you tried to restore your phone and not install ANY apps at all and see how behave for a few days?

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
There are so many variables that affect battery life that it's difficult to nail down in 1 attempt:

- Do you have a strong signal at work? less than 2 bars and your battery takes a hit trying to maintain connection to the nearest cell tower.

- Have you tried to restore your phone as NEW and not from a backup?

- Have you tried to restore your phone and not install ANY apps at all and see how behave for a few days?

I think I've tried all these things. I know I've set it up as new and I've tried turning off LTE. My signal's good at work, I've been to the Apple store and they say the battery's normal. I've just learned to accept it. It's really hard to tell how well the battery holds up because of all the different variables. I often stream satellite radio which I know can eat the battery. But today, for example, I haven't streamed any radio, did some surfing, a few emails, and I'm down to 36% with 3 hr 32 minutes of usage, 5 hr 22 minutes of standby.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I think I've tried all these things. I know I've set it up as new and I've tried turning off LTE. My signal's good at work, I've been to the Apple store and they say the battery's normal. I've just learned to accept it. It's really hard to tell how well the battery holds up because of all the different variables. I often stream satellite radio which I know can eat the battery. But today, for example, I haven't streamed any radio, did some surfing, a few emails, and I'm down to 36% with 3 hr 32 minutes of usage, 5 hr 22 minutes of standby.

Try a DFU restore. I don't know what is different in that type of restore vs a regular one but it fixed this weird battery issue I had in GM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.