Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pixelmator.png
Pixelmator has updated its image editing software to version 3.1, adding full support for the new Mac Pro, including 16-bit per channel images, full GPU support, and optimizations for the multi-core processors in the new machine.

The app now uses both Mac Pro GPU's simultaneously for composition rendering and uses lots of background computing to speed up zoom and other tasks, with the company claiming that "image editing is now completely seamless, and even with large and complex compositions you will experience profoundly faster and more responsive performance."
"We are extremely excited for professionals to experience the power and speed of Pixelmator 3.1 Marble on their new Mac Pros," said Saulius Dailide of the Pixelmator Team. "Harnessing the power of the Mac Pro's dual-GPU architecture, we're now able to support 16-bit per channel images for the first time and push the limits of Pixelmator performance like never before."
pixelmatormarble.jpg

Pixelmator has also gained a new Order Prints feature that allows users to order postcards, notecards, gallery frames, or posters right in the app. The app received its last significant upgrade back in October when it gained a new image editing engine.

Pixelmator 3.1 is a free upgrade for existing users, while new users can download the app from the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Updated With 16-Bit Color and Full Mac Pro Support

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Always good news to see Pixelmator updated. But I do wonder how many Mac Pro users are actually using Pixelmator that much. Seems if a pro is going to spend that much on a tool, they'd use Photoshop.

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Pixelmator is a very nice program. I give it a few more years to become _really_ competitive against Photoshop (esp. in regard to the fact many people hate CC). :D

The problem may be that many designers use Photoshop, because it nicely fits into the Adobe-ecosystem (Illustrator, InDesign, ...). That probably is the most important factor to consider here.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The main thing I don't like about Pixelmator is how there's no greyscale or CMYK. Their approach is that if you're going to create images for print, the color space will be prepared by exporting to PDF.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I'm not a pro either

and Pixelmator is a snap to use.

I prefer it to Photoshop, but Pro mileage may vary.

I am very impressed at how quickly they've updated the software to utilize the Mac Pro (I know they were used in the Mac Pro demos but still this is very nice to see.) They were pretty fast with Retina optimization too.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I haven't yet moved from Photoshop CS6 to CC yet. The more Pixelmator improves the less I may be forced into CC slavery. 16 bit support, though, is a big big help. I may have found the successor for PS for the things I need.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
What a p.o.s. 8( The 16bit support *ONLY* works on nMP... I wonder what they smoke. It's not like coreimage utilizing 128bit per pixel internally anyway.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I love Pixelmator. It does a lot of stuff better than Photoshop (MUCH better Pen Tool, real time Gradients vs Photoshops gradient guessing game, etc).

I can't abandon Photoshop because my workflow is built around it (and I need 32 bit image editing for depth masks and such) but I love to use Pixelmator.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I own Pixelmator, but haven't been able to incorporate it into my regular workflow because of the very dark UI. I find it incredibly difficult to read the text on the black menu backgrounds. If the developer would give us a chance toggle between a light and dark UI, I'd probably never open Photoshop again.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Well my painting has migrated mostly to ClipStudioPaint anyway ;P But the colors in Pixelmator are really hard to see on calibrated displays, they get better when you push brightness to insane levels...

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Photoshop Elements is dead

Pixelmator isn't to the point of upending the Photoshop market yet, but with full 16-bit support (on a Mac Pro only for the moment, but I'd suspect that will extend to all new hardware shortly) Photoshop Elements (with half-assed 16-bit support where it will open 16-bit images but you can't do anything with them unless you thunk down to 8-bit) is dead. There is absolutely no reason to go with Adobe's "consumer" software range when Pixelmator surpasses it across the board (and so much cheaper, at $30 for multiple years instead of $70-99 per ~yearly upgrade).

While Photoshop is still safe, PSE is obsolete. There is simply no reason to spend money on that software now.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Always good news to see Pixelmator updated. But I do wonder how many Mac Pro users are actually using Pixelmator that much. Seems if a pro is going to spend that much on a tool, they'd use Photoshop.

While I would agree that it is unlikely high end users are going to go for Pixelmator over Photoshop it does give them an advantage that Photoshop is unlikely to match for quite some time given Adobe's sluggish reaction to new technology. This not only benefits Mac Pro users using openCL will give performance improvements on any machine with the a GPU that is supported which are quite a few. Pixelmator is getting better all the time and I think will start to be a serious contender for many Photoshop users within a couple of years.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Just got a reply from them that other macs will get the 16bit just a little later. My personal opinion is it needs some new api in 10.9.2 that is already in the special build of 10.9.1 for nMP...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually it depends on the main use of the Mac Pro. And from what I've been reading, not all th epeople buying Mac Pros are professionals anyway.

not a pro, but have yet to find any feature i was missing from photoshop when using pixelmator. i think its a viable alternative.
The 16bit support is what was missing for me

What a p.o.s. 8( The 16bit support *ONLY* works on nMP... I wonder what they smoke. It's not like coreimage utilizing 128bit per pixel internally anyway.
Well as it was stated 16bit support is coming for all Macs.

I own Pixelmator, but haven't been able to incorporate it into my regular workflow because of the very dark UI. I find it incredibly difficult to read the text on the black menu backgrounds. If the developer would give us a chance toggle between a light and dark UI, I'd probably never open Photoshop again.
Have you seen the dark interface for Photoshop Elements? It's pretty bad. In any case, send feedback to Pixelmater - the more people who comment on this means it's more likely they will do something about it.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
16bit only on Mac Pro?

I was just getting excited, then I saw that 16bit is only on Mac Pro!

----------

I was just getting excited, then I saw that 16bit is only on Mac Pro!

...but it seems that it will be coming to all Macs later.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I can't even tell the difference between a lot of 8 bit colors... Why make them 16 bit? (We're talking about going from 2^24 different hues to 2^48 different hues, right? And going from 2^8 different amounts of transparency to 2^16 different amounts of transparency, right?)

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
It's only for the working space. You can avoid color banding by working in 16bit per color. The final image should be reduced to 8bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.