PDA

View Full Version : G3 iBook troubles...

jetta.man.dan
Dec 30, 2005, 08:25 PM
My G3 iBook is unfortunately suffering from another problem. I tried to search but did not seem to have any luck. Basically what is going on is that it does not recognize the HD anymore and it will not boot off a CD which led me to the conclusion that it does not recognize the optical drive either. Any Suggestions?

e≤Studios
Dec 30, 2005, 08:38 PM
My G3 iBook is unfortunately suffering from another problem. I tried to search but did not seem to have any luck. Basically what is going on is that it does not recognize the HD anymore and it will not boot off a CD which led me to the conclusion that it does not recognize the optical drive either. Any Suggestions?

Sounds like a faulty logic board to me. What model is it, and when did it start doing this? What do you mean by "another problem"? Any additional information that gives people a background on the issue is likely to help people here help you more :)

Ed

eleveneastgate
Dec 30, 2005, 08:51 PM
Check this:

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/.

jetta.man.dan
Dec 30, 2005, 08:56 PM
The logic board went on it once or twice. It is an iBook G3 600mhz. I installed cleaned clean copy of Tiger on it, and then it sat for maybe about 2 weeks, I went to start it up and nothing. I got the question mark folder icon and it will not boot off of cd's. I can hear both the hard drive and optical drive spool up. Both logic board issues were fixed by applecare not by me.

yeah I was going to look into that, I asked a genius at the apple store and he was not aware of the logic board extension warranty.

Diffused Mindô
Dec 30, 2005, 09:00 PM
The logic board went on it once or twice. It is an iBook G3 600mhz. I installed cleaned clean copy of Tiger on it, and then it sat for maybe about 2 weeks, I went to start it up and nothing. I got the question mark folder icon and it will not boot off of cd's. I can hear both the hard drive and optical drive spool up. Both logic board issues were fixed by applecare not by me.

Indeed. This is a 600Mhz 12" Late 2001 model. It has been through AppleCare a number of times, for screen issues, AirPort antenna broken, logic board failure, and optical drive failure. The unit will power on the hard drive and the optical drive, but will not access either of them. When you put a disc in the drive, it will spin up and the head will move, but it still flashes the question mark. If you try to boot it into target disk mode (T on startup, right?), it won't do anything and it will turn off after a short period.

I'm a friend of jetta.man.dan, I know this specific computer.

jetta.man.dan
Dec 31, 2005, 03:23 PM
Indeed. This is a 600Mhz 12" Late 2001 model. It has been through AppleCare a number of times, for screen issues, AirPort antenna broken, logic board failure, and optical drive failure. The unit will power on the hard drive and the optical drive, but will not access either of them. When you put a disc in the drive, it will spin up and the head will move, but it still flashes the question mark. If you try to boot it into target disk mode (T on startup, right?), it won't do anything and it will turn off after a short period.

I'm a friend of jetta.man.dan, I know this specific computer.

yeah that pretty much sums it up.

umrdad
Dec 31, 2005, 05:24 PM
PRAM battery??

eva01
Dec 31, 2005, 05:28 PM
logic board i am almost sure of it

Diffused Mindô
Dec 31, 2005, 08:42 PM
logic board i am almost sure of it

Hmph, that's what I thought it was all along, ah well, I guess it's time to part it out then. :(

asherman13
Dec 31, 2005, 08:47 PM
Hmph, that's what I thought it was all along, ah well, I guess it's time to part it out then. :(

wait don't! did you try booting from the os cd? by that i mean holding c while you boot instead of t? i might be wrong, but i think t's for when you're transfering stuff from one comp to another via firewire....

i have the same comp, btw. bad lcd's the only problem....want it as a replacement?:p i'm kidding.

skoker
Dec 31, 2005, 09:25 PM
Try holding down "option" or "apple-option-p-r" or "control-apple-power" when you start it up.

BTW, I'm selling my 600MHz iBook if you are interested.

California
Dec 31, 2005, 09:37 PM
Get a firewire cd player and boot from that?

Funny I know someone with a 14" 600 (or is it a 700mhz) from Spring 2002 that is still running strong. Guess the 12" logic boards were more problematic.

jetta.man.dan
Jan 1, 2006, 10:27 AM
Yes I tried to boot of an OS cd and I tried clearing the PRAM before booting. Looks like this thing is getting parted out.

California
Jan 1, 2006, 12:24 PM
Yes I tried to boot of an OS cd and I tried clearing the PRAM before booting. Looks like this thing is getting parted out.

No I mean boot off an external cd player that is firewire. I don't recall you did that. A SmartDisk cd burner/player firewire came with my original Tibook, causing me to purchase a few more of these handy little bootable machines for friends. You can find themfor like 20 bucks new in the internet. But any cdburner/player that is firewire would do -- you can only boot from firewire.

jetta.man.dan
Jan 1, 2006, 12:33 PM
ahh I see, Sorry I misread the post it was a long night and a rough morning:)
I will prob pick one of these up. Is it possible to hook up an external hardrive through firewire with lets say like 9.2 on it? I have one of those lying around.

California
Jan 1, 2006, 03:41 PM
ahh I see, Sorry I misread the post it was a long night and a rough morning:)
I will prob pick one of these up. Is it possible to hook up an external hardrive through firewire with lets say like 9.2 on it? I have one of those lying around.

Yes. Just hold down the option key as I recall. But then you will be in the world of OS9 (and I have blanked out on the trauma of OS9 forever!)