Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Turns out it is a Sony sensor in this and the Hasselblad. Quite a heavy crop though which is a bit disappointing. The pixels though, aren't as small as those of the D800 and A7r by my maths. We can only hope that the sensor is cheaper to produce than medium format CCDs.

I can see the higher ISO appealing to high end event photographers but they won't really interest many commercial shooters.

.:Aleph:.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2013
Turns out it is a Sony sensor in this and the Hasselblad. Quite a heavy crop though which is a bit disappointing. The pixels though, aren't as small as those of the D800 and A7r by my maths. We can only hope that the sensor is cheaper to produce than medium format CCDs.

I can see the higher ISO appealing to high end event photographers but they won't really interest many commercial shooters.

Steve, why does everyone keep mentioning the a7R? It keeps popping up everywhere when these new MF sensors get discussed. Is it a really good camera?

Otherwise, I could co-sign what you said.

Perhaps in an iteration or two it will appeal to more commercial shooters.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Steve, why does everyone keep mentioning the a7R? It keeps popping up everywhere when these new MF sensors get discussed. Is it a really good camera?

Well it has (much) the same high res Sony sensor as the D800, that's the only reason I mentioned it. I have never tried it so couldn't say if it is any good, but it does seem a bit strange, as if you want the best out of the resolution you are going to need to carry a tripod making it not so compact.

The CMOS sensor might suit the Leica S very well as it has a similar crop and DSLR versatility.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Well it has (much) the same high res Sony sensor as the D800, that's the only reason I mentioned it. I have never tried it so couldn't say if it is any good, but it does seem a bit strange, as if you want the best out of the resolution you are going to need to carry a tripod making it not so compact.

The CMOS sensor might suit the Leica S very well as it has a similar crop and DSLR versatility.

Ironic the back is capable of shooting usable IOS 6400 but the camera, DF+, won't be able to focus in light that low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.