Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

V6Pony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Southern Illinois
I'm thinking of buying a mac mini used. How far can you go back in models and still upgrade and run Mavericks? It the mac mini easy to upgrade HD and ram?

Thanks

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
According to Mactracker, the earliest mini that will run Mavericks is the early 2009 model (MacMini3,1). I am running it on a late 2009 Mac mini Server with 4GB of memory. It works fine, but I think that 8GB and an SSD would turn it into a new machine.

Prying apart a mini is a bit of a hassle, but not hard. Once open, you do have to be careful with small wires and cables. Otherworldcomputing and iFixit have videos which are very helpful.

A.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Early 2009 model and later.

My mini is listed in signature. Wouldn't update due to poor igp on later models. Waiting on 2014 update personally.

As for updates memory is simple twist and that's it. Hdd requires 30 minutes work but adding an ssd makes a massive difference.

V6Pony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Southern Illinois
Thanks all. Any suggestions where would be a good place to buy a 2010 or 2011 model? I know there are a bunch listed on ebay. Not sure I always trust ebay. Ohh can the mini connect to an older crt monitor until I can get a new one?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks all. Any suggestions where would be a good place to buy a 2010 or 2011 model? I know there are a bunch listed on ebay. Not sure I always trust ebay. Ohh can the mini connect to an older crt monitor until I can get a new one?
I've always had a good experience dealing here.

Last edited:

Delmar

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Texas
I'm thinking of buying a mac mini used. How far can you go back in models and still upgrade and run Mavericks? It the mac mini easy to upgrade HD and ram?

Thanks

Early 2009 is the oldest Mini that can run Mavericks. Upgrading the hard drive & ram is a very simple procedure, I just upgraded the ram to 8GB in my Early 2009 not long ago, it took all of about 30 minutes to do the job.

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I'm running mavericks in the early 2009 with 2gb ram and original HD. I have 8gb and a 1tb sshd in the mail. I hope it helps, because I'm getting a lot of spinning beach balls.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I'm running mavericks in the early 2009 with 2gb ram and original HD. I have 8gb and a 1tb sshd in the mail. I hope it helps, because I'm getting a lot of spinning beach balls.

My 2010 mini just got 8/960 SSD. Wow, what a difference. Consider hooking the drive externally (initially) for a clean install + migration. Gets things nice and tidy and gives you a chance to test it before putting it in.

Mine does media - breathtaking FF and RW speeds!

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
My 2010 mini just got 8/960 SSD. Wow, what a difference. Consider hooking the drive externally (initially) for a clean install + migration. Gets things nice and tidy and gives you a chance to test it before putting it in.

Mine does media - breathtaking FF and RW speeds!
I wish I could have done ssd in that size! I got the toshiba sshd kit from owc that comes with an external enclosure, so that was my plan. How do I do a clean install of Mavericks? Do I have to install snow leopard from DVD first, then update, followed by migration assistant?

I'm basically doing some fun home recording in Logic and basic iPhoto stuff in addition to hosting my home iTunes library (very large).

Delmar

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Texas

My early 2009 Mac Mini is still running the original hard drive for now. After I upgraded the ram to 8GB it made a world of difference, I rarely see a beach ball & it's running OSX Mavericks.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I wish I could have done ssd in that size! I got the toshiba sshd kit from owc that comes with an external enclosure, so that was my plan. How do I do a clean install of Mavericks? Do I have to install snow leopard from DVD first, then update, followed by migration assistant?

Yeah, I was only going to do 480, but then I realized the extra space would give me a ton of extra capabilties. Ive been quite enjoying Mavericks server as a result.

MacWorld has the best guides on how to install every new OS, but basically...

1) connect the new drive to the outside of your mac (usb, fw, tb)
2) download mavericks and move the installer out of the apps folder
3) run disk utility and format the new drive (extended/journaled/GUID)
4) run the installer
5) install mavericks on the new drive
6) boot with option key, select the new drive / install
7) when it gets to migration screen, select mac
8) at the selection screen, turn off applications
9) finish boot, install all apps from scratch
10) when you are happy with the install, swap drives
11) keep the old drive as is / protected for a few week, just in case

Steps 8-11 are my own design

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, I was only going to do 480, but then I realized the extra space would give me a ton of extra capabilties. Ive been quite enjoying Mavericks server as a result.

MacWorld has the best guides on how to install every new OS, but basically...

1) connect the new drive to the outside of your mac (usb, fw, tb)
2) download mavericks and move the installer out of the apps folder
3) run disk utility and format the new drive (extended/journaled/GUID)
4) run the installer
5) install mavericks on the new drive
6) boot with option key, select the new drive / install
7) when it gets to migration screen, select mac
8) at the selection screen, turn off applications
9) finish boot, install all apps from scratch
10) when you are happy with the install, swap drives
11) keep the old drive as is / protected for a few week, just in case

Steps 8-11 are my own design
Cool. Thanks!

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Why Mavericks on the old Mini's? The 2011 holds its value well because it is the last Snow Leopard capable machine. I never run into limitations with SL machines with software that does not work.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Cool. Thanks!

Forgot to mention

12) step 5 automatically creates a recovery partition. A few days after everything is settled, boot with command R, load disk utility, and repair permissions three times (or until it stops finding stuff).

13) install trim enabler (optional)

I like 10.7 because it's the first OS with a fully fledged App Store

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
Should I install the trim enabler for use with the hybrid SSHD? Could it hurt to install it?

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
I got my new Toshiba SSHD and 8GB of ram installed. Beachballs seem to have disappeared. System is running much better. Doesn't seem like a new machine or something right out of the store, but it is a 5 year old computer. I haven't been able to run Logic through its paces yet - I'm looking forward to that...

Thanks for the advice. Install was MUCH easier than I was expecting. I think the whole thing - installing ram and replacing the hard drive - took about 20-30 minutes.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
The mailman is delivering my 2009 Mac Mini MB463LL/A 2.00GHz Core 2 Duo 160GB with 4GB of memory tomorrow. I was planning on putting OS X 10.8.5 on it and solely running this as a mini server for my home. PLEX (maybe) and to do some nightly jobs for my websites.

Anyone see any issues with that? Based on my reading this should be more that capable.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Why not migrate the apps? Finding the installers and serial numbers are the reason I hate to do clean installs.

Hmm.

1) Unchecking apps doesn't prevent prefs/settings/registrations from coming over. The newly installed apps 'connect' to the old apps info and launch right up. The key advantage of not migrating apps is not clearing out all app info, but providing the opportunity not to reinstall unused apps. I tend to experience through the year or two between big versions.

2) App Store apps are very easy to reinstall

3) I have an installation server, with disk images and the like all ready to go

4) mavericks server may make this even easier

5) im a bit lazy about upgrading. some of my apps need outright replacement regardless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.