Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Howdy,
The good ninja on the Flex forum suggested I need to look into Port Forwarding.
There's a bunch of sub-forums on here I could've posted this, but Plex users might be more en masse on this one!

I can see my libraries (or 'Channels') on my web browser and iPhone at home, home network via Airport Extreme no problem.

As soon as I get it to another router away from home or at home turning off iPhone's WiFi they vanish.

Thankfully the Airport Utility in Mavericks is so easy to use for a networking moron as myself.
I just simply need to figure out how to create Port Forwarding on this setup so the iPhone can pick up my Channels on the Plex app!!

Easy....right?

Thanks for the help in advance.
This is the dialogue between myself and the Ninja:

Good morning,

I purchased the $4.99 app for my iPhone and installed it.

Installed the Plex Server on my MacPro and all my media shows up great on my browser, and on my iPhone app when I'm home!

Incredible.

BUT when I go to my shop and try to get on with the router I'm on there, no channels of mine or media appear.

I've also tried to shut off WiFi on my iPhone at home and run the Verizon LTE only, and then my channels vanish from the

app.

Looking at the IP address when the WiF is on, it's a short string of numbers, my router addres (127.0.0.xx)

So I'm assuming I need to hit 'Add a new connection...'

Is the 'Host ' supposed to be entered as my long string IP address? (71.201.2xx.xxx)

And the 'Port' should be the same 32400 as the home connection?

If this is all correct, it doesn't work, and no Channels appear.

So I'm assuming one of 3 things:

A) I don't have a PlexPass paid for

B) It won't pick up on cellular networks

C) I need to look into Port Forwarding

It's such a simple thing, I know it! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After 2 days of searching the startup and help guides, I'm not finding any bit of help on the Plex website!

iPhone iOS 7

+

MacPro - Mavericks - Airport Card to Airport Extreme to Comcast router

m.schademann, on 26 Jan 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

C) I need to look into Port Forwarding

This is going to be the solution you are looking for.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    173.6 KB · Views: 146

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
I've managed to figure out the Port Forwarding but still NO sign of my channels on the iPhone Plex App.

What am I entering incorrectly either in the AP Utility or iPhone?
Should the IP address be my IP long string, or the 10.0.1.201 listed here?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 12.08.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 12.08.13 PM.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 523

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
You shouldn't have to mess around with the port settings.

Go to Plex settings (preferences).

Under myPlex, make sure you are signed on to your account and that you have a green check next to "the server is mapped to port xxxxx".

I found on my Mac, I needed to add Plex to my System preferences Users and group login items (i.e. to have Plex initialize correctly when I turned on my computer).

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
OMG! something worked!

I've kept it on cellular at home for experiment because I know if it works w/o wifi it's gonna work anywhere.

I added the Plex Server 'App' to login items like you said, and found in the settings in the app itself that the port was a completely different number.

I opened on the iPhone and expected to enter the dif number and apparently it added it for me already!

I'm going to assume it'll do the same thing on the older iPhone 4 which is really going to be my music server in my photo studio. It's on a wicked Cambridge iD100 that takes the files away before iPhone has a chance to destroy them, built in DAC and optical into an older but luscious B&K receiver. So quality is paramount. HOPE it works on my landlord's router at the studio on the older phone and on his WiFI!!!

THANKS PLUTONIUS and Thanks MacRumors for still having the coolest members to help me out!

PS - it's a fairly newer APEx. in my attic here, but my landlord has a piece of crap router in his next building over. iTunes player cuts out RARELY but Spotify cuts out constantly. Sometimes it's unlistenable

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
  1. create a myplex account, and sign in on both your server and the phone.
  2. make sure the port is connected on the server. (should happen automatically if your router supports UPnP)
  3. watch your media from anywhere.

you're making it way too complicated.
you don't need to pay for plexpass for this to work. That main thing that gets you is sync which lets you download media to your phone.

the default port is 32400, the port that it automaps to the outside is a separate random port. so it will work on 2 different port numbers at the same time

--
you could run into problems with 2 routers. since both you and the landlord have one.

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks for the update '74!

What was happening was this:
A) yes, the checking green box on browser app
B) ports had nothing to do with it because if there's a strong connection it simply figures the port on the mobile device.
C) his router (I don't have one) was so awful and week that the signal was dropping in and out so fast it didn't even show
up on the wifi bar up top of iPhone.

Today I brought over my basement printer router (Airport Extreme 5th G) and that coverage was so awesome it replaced TWO pieces of crap as an extended. Now it reaches across the gangway into my studio and serves his customers in the bar. Perfect.

And if I watch my data usage on Verizon I can grab it flawlessly on my main iPhone on the road, a park etc.
Couldn't be happier!

Which leads me to another question (boy I want it all) - Can I use my main iPhone as a slave to control the old iPhone being used in the sound system? That would be the coolest thing ever. I'm sure there's a 'box' of sorts that can do this, but the iD100 Cambridge dock has such a stunning DAC built into it I'd have to have it draw the raw audio file to process and send through to the receiver for ultimate quality.

I'm asking too much aren't I!

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I can see my home's Plex Media Server from work if I'm on a cellular connection but as soon as I connect to my work's WiFi connection I lose access.
Anything I can do to fix that?

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Sadly, I think things are so perfect I'm afraid to touch anything! lol...
I don't think I could set this thing up myself again. Problem is with this type of stuff, they always start with Step 3 assuming you're an IT networking genius and completely skip 1 & 2 explanations

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.