Dec 31, 2005, 04:56 PM
Shuffle mock up #1:
Post YOUR OWN mock ups please!

GoCubsGo
Dec 31, 2005, 05:10 PM
heh quite nice if you ask me.

Daveway
Dec 31, 2005, 05:15 PM
I don't think we'll see a display in the shuffle IF it stay in the same form factor.

Warbrain
Dec 31, 2005, 05:16 PM
If the shuffle were to have a screen, it would mean that the controls would have to be arranged a bit different.

Not bad, otherwise.

Chundles
Dec 31, 2005, 05:24 PM
Can you make a mockup without the screen? I just don't think the shuffle needs a screen.

pknz
Dec 31, 2005, 05:24 PM
Personally I don't like it, not Apple's simple style. It looks busy and similar to those cheap rubber incased mp3 players.

corywoolf
Dec 31, 2005, 09:19 PM
If the shuffle were to have a screen, it would mean that the controls would have to be arranged a bit different.

Not bad, otherwise.

Notice the rotate icon in the bottom right corner? The button tops rotate 90 degrees to match the desired position.

JDOG_
Jan 1, 2006, 12:46 AM
Nice mockup. I guess we'll know what's up in like 2 weeks. Wonder if they'll rename it too...

sushi
Jan 1, 2006, 03:11 AM
Personally I don't like it, not Apple's simple style. It looks busy and similar to those cheap rubber incased mp3 players.
Agreed.

While it is a nice design, it is too complicated for an Apple design.

Also, it is not easily used by left and right handers equally.

Cluttered look.

Apple makes simple easy to use devices of which this design is not. Nor is it friendly for both left and right handed folks.

Back to the drawing boards!

sushi
Jan 1, 2006, 03:13 AM
Notice the rotate icon in the bottom right corner? The button tops rotate 90 degrees to match the desired position.
Mechanically? If so this would be a no go. The Shuffle is a low end flash device suited for sport type activities. The fewer moving parts the better -- especially complicated ones such as button top rotation.

EricNau
Jan 1, 2006, 03:43 AM
Looks like a creative product (not a good thing). Good job though. It looks very real.

sushi
Jan 1, 2006, 05:39 AM
Looks like a creative product (not a good thing).
Interesting observation which is spot on.

corywoolf
Jan 1, 2006, 01:03 PM
Mechanically? If so this would be a no go. The Shuffle is a low end flash device suited for sport type activities. The fewer moving parts the better -- especially complicated ones such as button top rotation.

True, but doesn't the shuffle feature a mechanical slider on the back? The rotating button head with a sensor that told the ipod it is in that position would be cheaper then having a non rotating button that has an oled behind it and changes dynamically. I still like the design, but it does take on the Creative look partially due to the screen that doesn't have rounded corners. I guess it depends if you like form over function. I think the minimalist approach is great (to a certain point), but when you start scrapping features like a grip on the slider, it starts to become the hot girl who can't do anything (if you know what I mean). I saw a nano up close (in real life) for the first time last night and was amazed. I think the nano must be smaller then the shuffle in height. I guess I would just scrap the screen and focus on features like playlist toggling and size. I don't think there is a market for screen attachments for the shuffle, if the attachment cost $30 to $50 and the shuffle cost $80 to $99, who would buy the attachment? Hard to believe the nano is that expensive, but I guess it packs a lot of features in the thumb size device. When I saw it I was like "Is that a nano, wait that's way to small, it must be a remote." The shuffle is hard to improve on, because it does so little and that is about all it can handle.

TMA
Jan 1, 2006, 01:38 PM
I really like it!

corywoolf
Jan 1, 2006, 02:53 PM
I really like it!

Thanks, at least a couple people like it.

;)

trainguy77
Jan 1, 2006, 05:39 PM
Yes 1 thing I don't like about the shuffle(i own one) is no display, I would really like a display. I don't know how they would fit it in but I would like to see a display.

funkychunkz
Jan 1, 2006, 06:15 PM
Shuffles are the best! I don't have one, but I tried one. I you have all of your best songs, it's a blast. A screen would ruin it, completely. It's simple, you can't go wrong. It's small and ergonomic. Instinctive really. If you add a screen, you have to a radio, (to make up for the lack of music). At it's diminutive size, a screen would make it boring. Everything seems like more when you can't see it all. (Like walking in the dark, randomness).

I used to think that the shuffle would suck, but I couldn't have known anything until I tried it.

sushi
Jan 2, 2006, 05:55 AM
True, but doesn't the shuffle feature a mechanical slider on the back? The rotating button head with a sensor that told the ipod it is in that position would be cheaper then having a non rotating button that has an oled behind it and changes dynamically.
Manufacturing wise, this would make the Shuffle a lot more complicated and costly.

The slider switch has been around since electricity was first generated. A rotating set of buttons is not near as easy to make tiny where it will be reliable. That is one reason that Apple went away from mechanical buttons and wheel on the original iPod to what we have today. Today we are up to the 4th version of the click wheel if memory serves. Each time it becomes more simple, smaller and reliable.

Also, I stress that the Shuffle works equally well for left and right handed folks.

While your design allows for rotation, it is not easy to hold the rotated Shuffle compared to the current version.

Remember, the Shuffle was created for sports/on the go type activity. The basic idea is simplicity which the Shuffle does in spades.

I still like the design, but it does take on the Creative look partially due to the screen that doesn't have rounded corners. I guess it depends if you like form over function. I think the minimalist approach is great (to a certain point), but when you start scrapping features like a grip on the slider, it starts to become the hot girl who can't do anything (if you know what I mean). I saw a nano up close (in real life) for the first time last night and was amazed. I think the nano must be smaller then the shuffle in height. I guess I would just scrap the screen and focus on features like playlist toggling and size. I don't think there is a market for screen attachments for the shuffle, if the attachment cost $30 to $50 and the shuffle cost $80 to $99, who would buy the attachment? Hard to believe the nano is that expensive, but I guess it packs a lot of features in the thumb size device. When I saw it I was like "Is that a nano, wait that's way to small, it must be a remote." The shuffle is hard to improve on, because it does so little and that is about all it can handle.
Understand your attachment to your design.

Reminds me of the F-16 when it was designed. The main control (stick) did not move. Rather is relied upon stress gauges that measured the pilots input force. The engineers where very happy with their design. The test pilots gave them some rather blunt negative feedback that it doesn't work in the real world.

So now the F-16 stick moves so that the pilots receive feedback.

My point being, is don't become too attached to a design idea. Personally I like the way your design looks. But then when I imagine using one it looses a lot of it's charm.

I think that you are right about the added display. Especially now with the Nano.

You've some great creative energy. Looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve.

corywoolf
Jan 2, 2006, 08:06 AM
Manufacturing wise, this would make the Shuffle a lot more complicated and costly.

The slider switch has been around since electricity was first generated. A rotating set of buttons is not near as easy to make tiny where it will be reliable. That is one reason that Apple went away from mechanical buttons and wheel on the original iPod to what we have today. Today we are up to the 4th version of the click wheel if memory serves. Each time it becomes more simple, smaller and reliable.

Also, I stress that the Shuffle works equally well for left and right handed folks.

While your design allows for rotation, it is not easy to hold the rotated Shuffle compared to the current version.

Remember, the Shuffle was created for sports/on the go type activity. The basic idea is simplicity which the Shuffle does in spades.

Understand your attachment to your design.

Reminds me of the F-16 when it was designed. The main control (stick) did not move. Rather is relied upon stress gauges that measured the pilots input force. The engineers where very happy with their design. The test pilots gave them some rather blunt negative feedback that it doesn't work in the real world.

So now the F-16 stick moves so that the pilots receive feedback.

My point being, is don't become too attached to a design idea. Personally I like the way your design looks. But then when I imagine using one it looses a lot of it's charm.

I think that you are right about the added display. Especially now with the Nano.

You've some great creative energy. Looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve.

Thanks, it is hard not to be attached to something when you create it. But you are correct about the comfort factor, who would want to be jogging and trying to twist some damn tiny plastic wheel just to align it with the screen. I guess I can't think of anything else at the moment that would accommodate a screen and keeps the shuffle's basic design. I did think of putting a one line oled on the side (like reading a beeper) of the shuffle, but that would increase the thickness, and it wouldn't by fun to use. Thanks for the insight.

sushi
Jan 7, 2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks, it is hard not to be attached to something when you create it. But you are correct about the comfort factor, who would want to be jogging and trying to twist some damn tiny plastic wheel just to align it with the screen. I guess I can't think of anything else at the moment that would accommodate a screen and keeps the shuffle's basic design. I did think of putting a one line oled on the side (like reading a beeper) of the shuffle, but that would increase the thickness, and it wouldn't by fun to use. Thanks for the insight.
Any other ideas?

I just returned from running with my Shuffle. Love it. It is so simple to use for that type of activity.

The only thing that I wish it had was multiple playlist capability. For example, say I want to load part of an audio book under PL1 and regular music under PL2. I listed to my book via PL1 then decide that I need a break and want to listen to some music. How would I easily switch?

Maybe a slider switch of some sort with a 1 and 2, possibly more, positions that allow me to select the playlist that I want. Or maybe a push button type that operates like a radio button with two or three options.

Anyhow, looking forward to your next idea.