Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ouphe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hey!
I'm a college student dual-majoring in graphic design and illustration and I dabble in every kind of art and design I can.
I've just purchased some upgrades for my Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 PM (x800xt video card and 2 more gigs of RAM for a total of 3.5), and I'm looking toward my next upgrade: that is, my printer.
Right now, I've got one of those printer/scanner/copier deals that I purchased at Wal-Mart probably a year and a half to two years ago. It's hooked up to my PC (I guess Lexmark doesn't have great Mac compatibility with that particular model), and anytime I want to scan or printer anything, I have to go through the motions of emailing the document to myself (so I can access it from both computers).
What I want to know is this: how would I go about setting up a print server so I can wirelessly print from either one of my computers? What would I need to buy? Recommendations on where to get/what model to get?
Also: I print a lot of oversized photos and artwork (I work at a print shop, too, so I can do them there, but sometimes the shop isn't open, or I need it right as I'm heading out the door). Is there a good printer out there that can handle at least 11x17, hopefully 13x19 glossy paper? I'm a college student and not made of money, but I think it would be a good investment for me to make sometime soon.
Any advice/comments anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

-Colin

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
For the wireless print server idea, I would recommend getting a printer that is networkable. I have a Canon iP5200R, which is wireless g, and ethernet enabled. It was very easy to set it up, and now I can access it from my iBook wirelessly, and the Windows computer downstairs. All you need is for the computers to be networked already.

Ask if you have any more questions about this.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I would recommend the HP 2800

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...ide_format&catLevel=2&product_code=C8174A#A2L

We have used Epson in the past but they don't seem interested in staying afloat with the graphics "professionals"

Whatever you decide on I would make certain that the machine 1. is Bluetooth compatible (or at least network ready) and 2. supports Postscript level 3

Your best results will only come with the correct RIP.

Good LUck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.