Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I was trying to read the conference call updates, and it keeps jumping as I try and read it, please have oldest on top so new things get added to the bottom with no jumps, or give an option to turn off live updates. It got so annoying I bookmarked it to come back and read after all the updates are done.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I sympathize. I do not remember who invented 'newest on top', but I would like to go back in time and kill his grandfather.

A.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The idea behind newest on top is that you don't have to scroll your window...you just read as the new content gets added at the top and the stuff you've already read gets pushed down.

We may be able to look at offering some options there though.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
The idea behind newest on top is that you don't have to scroll your window...you just read as the new content gets added at the top and the stuff you've already read gets pushed down.

And this made sense, once. I am sure that a clever web developer today could come up with a way to leave us at the bottom of the page and scroll up. I for one appreciate the fact that you are looking at options. If you could fix all the Twitter clients while you are at it I would be most grateful. :)

A.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I was trying to read the conference call updates, and it keeps jumping as I try and read it, please have oldest on top so new things get added to the bottom with no jumps, or give an option to turn off live updates. It got so annoying I bookmarked it to come back and read after all the updates are done.

I thought it was just me. I also found the constant jumping very annoying.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008

We may be able to look at offering some options there though.

Theory isn't bad, just need to figure out how to make it readable for someone showing up halfway through who wants to catch up.

It was actually one of the most annoying thing I've tried to read on the internet in a long time. No other live blog i've seen (I don't do too many though) has ever been hard to read like that. It was like how when you go to a website and you start reading, and that last ad loads making everything jump and you lose your place. But it kept on going and going and going... I will probably have nightmares about it.

Also, on the macrumors main page, I start to read the "more macrumors stories" sidebar, then an ad pops up bumping it off the page. Is it not easy to know where the ad will be and how big when the page is first loading so that there isn't the ad load jump later? Loading jumps are should not be standard procedure in 2014.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.