Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voigtstr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Its a core 2 Duo, and both disks are failing (well the second disk will only mount read only) (the first disk gives regular updates saying its in S.M.A.R.T. status of failing)

As a work around I've moved the minecraft server to a i5 iMac, and the server is running much more smoothly (no dropped ticks). Is this purely processor speed dependent, memory dependent, or just failing disk dependent?

(I'll be repairing the mac mini server with 2 new hybrid disks seagates sshd 1TBs)

Are there any others here using Apple hardware to run Minecraft servers?
Any performance tips?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've tried to set up a minecraft server following several of the directions on line, but the part where the server is supposed to build in the data, nothing appears. Any suggestions?

voigtstr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
I've tried to set up a minecraft server following several of the directions on line, but the part where the server is supposed to build in the data, nothing appears. Any suggestions?

unzip the minecraft folder to somewhere.. my Minecraft 1.7.4 folder is sitting on the desktop.

open up the textedit app and create a file in this folder called start.command or something similar. The contents should be similar to the following (use google to find other arguements you might want to use)

#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"
exec java -server -Xmx2048M -jar minecraft_server.1.7.4.jar nogui

save the file.

open up the terminal app
cd to where ever you have stored the file.
(eg cd /Users/myusername/Desktop/Minecraft 1.7.4)

type chmod +x start.command

On a brand new install of mavericks I didn't have Java installed so I was directed to go to
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

download the JDK (the JRE doesnt update java -version symlinks or add java to your path...)

You should now be able to run the start command in the minecraft folder to start your server.

Make sure that minecraft's default port is being forward from the router to the minecraft server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.