PDA

View Full Version : eMac and airport

marmaduke
Jan 1, 2006, 01:08 AM
Can anyone help me with my emac? I have my house wireless and both my powerbook and my emac worked fine in the living room. I moved the emac to my son's room and I can't get a signal. I brought my powerbook in the room and it works great. The question is, is there a way to increase the antenna in the emac to pick up a better signal.

Oh yeah, I saw a bar on the emac yesterday, none since.

iMeowbot
Jan 1, 2006, 01:22 AM
Yes, the eMac antenna is wimpy. It kind of goes around the perimeter of the screen around one side up to the top, you might try turning the Mac to see if the orientation makes a difference.

You might want to take the 2 screws off the panel hiding under the CD tray flap and make sure that the antenna connector is well seated. The connector is standard and I suppose you could add an external antenna to the AirPort card, but as you can see there really wouldn't be anywhere to route the cable unless you're willing to hack up the cabinet :(

Almost forgot to mention this: I had major problems using wireless at home before it sunk in that some of the rooms were built using wire lath under the plaster. If you have any metallic "barriers" like that, it might be worthwhile to run a cable to that section of the house, and use either a direct wired connection or second wireless hub in that area.

alexprice
Jan 1, 2006, 12:47 PM
Which eMac and PowerBook do you have?