PDA

View Full Version : to sell a ppc powerbook now or wait until after 1/10?




excalibur313
Jan 1, 2006, 11:38 AM
I currently have a rev a alu 15" powerbook with 1.25 gigs of ram. I see that I can sell it on ebay and get 1300 to 1500 for it. I was planning on selling it to buy a new intel powerbook when they come out but since the whole intel launch is going to kick off on january 10th do I need to rush to get it on ebay before the conference? Said differently, do you think that the value of the alu books will drastically go down once the intel books are released or will they hold their value from those who are buying ppc instead of intels on ebay? I'm going back to college and I'd prefer to keep my powerbook but if it means that the value of my 'book would drop $800 for example I'd just sell it and use :gasp: a desktop dell a friend offered to let me borrow until the intel books were available. What do you guys think?



maxterpiece
Jan 1, 2006, 01:05 PM
I currently have a rev a alu 15" powerbook with 1.25 gigs of ram. I see that I can sell it on ebay and get 1300 to 1500 for it. I was planning on selling it to buy a new intel powerbook when they come out but since the whole intel launch is going to kick off on january 10th do I need to rush to get it on ebay before the conference? Said differently, do you think that the value of the alu books will drastically go down once the intel books are released or will they hold their value from those who are buying ppc instead of intels on ebay? I'm going back to college and I'd prefer to keep my powerbook but if it means that the value of my 'book would drop $800 for example I'd just sell it and use :gasp: a desktop dell a friend offered to let me borrow until the intel books were available. What do you guys think?
If they do upgrade the powerbooks then yes, there will be a small spike in terms of PPC powerbooks on ebay and this will lower their value. At the same time you have a lot of people who are waiting now to see whether intel powerbooks are released and to see how they are specced, and when they are available.

In conclusion, if intel powerbooks are released and available right away then the PPCs will lose some value probably, but if they aren't released, or are announced but wont be available for another month +, then i think the PPC powerbooks will go back up in value a bit as people who were waiting will bite the bullet and go for the PPC notebooks. I'd say overall though, you'll probably get better value selling it now instead of waiting. You are also risking being out of a computer for several weeks though.

amac4me
Jan 1, 2006, 01:26 PM
I'd wait. If you waited this long, what's another week and a half? Regardless, you have a powerbook, an exceptional piece of Apple hardware and engineering.

stutz
Jan 1, 2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I'd sell it now if you can live without a computer for a while. I personally would be surprised if Intel PowerBooks were announced and ready to ship in a few days. I recently got $810 out of my 4 year old TiBook (custom built), but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get anywhere near that if I waited until Intel based PBs were announced.

Koodauw
Jan 1, 2006, 02:03 PM
I think if your betting on intel PBs to be released at MWSF, your taking a big gamble because..

1. There have really been no rumors of a intel PB yet, iBooks yes, but PBs no.

2. MWSF has always been a consumer product line launch, usually not the pro line such as the PBs.

3. Seeing as how PB are pro machines, are pro-level apps ready to be ported yet? Have companies like Adobe revised there versions to run on x86, and if not is Rossetta up to the task? I can't see them releasing new pro machines without these kinks being worked out, and I am yet to be convinced that they have.

If you can live with an intel iBook, then I would say sell now. If you want a PB though (which is what I am waiting for.) I would suggest you hold one to yours now, and sell it later.

excalibur313
Jan 1, 2006, 05:46 PM
If the intel ibook is so much better though no one will want to buy any ppc powerbooks right?

supersalzme
Jan 1, 2006, 06:49 PM
If the intel ibook is so much better though no one will want to buy any ppc powerbooks right?

But see, the ppc powerbooks are time tested good machines. Personally, I was afraid to get an intel machine because I only use one computer, so I want it to be reliable and hasle free

Koodauw
Jan 1, 2006, 06:58 PM
If the intel ibook is so much better though no one will want to buy any ppc powerbooks right?

I don't think your going to see leaps and bounds in improvement, except perhaps in the gaming area, or perhaps battery life. (But all this is just speculation at this point.)