Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRoni

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2002
As many of my fellow members can concur, I too was apalled at the sudden second rev. of the new PowerBook. Not only did I lose $200 dollars faster than I could say 'Albook?' , I also began to question the marketing strategy of Apple even more. Since I am a student and have saved every penny for my shiny new Tibook just recently purchased in November, I think I am due a bit of anguish following todays recent events. If any of those out there are also members of the "Post November, Pre-Keynote TiBook Owners Association", I'd like to get some feedback.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Deal with it. :p

is apple supposed to call all their users before they update their product lines? doubt it.

I feel your pain, but get over it. You have a nice machine.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Dude...

welcome to the world of technology.

What if you go and buy a TiBook now and in two months Apple makes the 15" the killer machine to have with a 1.4 Ghz G4? Will you be mad again?
This is the way the cookie crumbles. The way the ball bounces...

MacRoni

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2002

I know I have a great machine and that I am supposed to deal with it, but the fact remains that Apple has revised the PowerBook lineup two months after announcing a very significant one in November. I have waited a long time to purchase the Tibook and was not, in a million years, going to believe that it would be updated so soon. Usually it takes a good 6+ months till a new rev. and this totally took me off guard. I followed rumor forums heavily since May of last year and feel a bit cheated, that's all.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Yes but,

Your TiBook was NOT upgraded. It's still a valid, current product. The 12 and 17" books are ADDITIONAL products to the line so don't feel too bad.
You've still got one of the top dog machines. Very desired by the people. ;)

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
I feel your pain.

Not to sound like a whiny baby, because I'm writing this on my beautiful new 15" SuperDrive TiBook... but I've got a fierce case of PowerBook Envy even though I bought the best machine Apple had to offer only a few weeks ago. When they announced the 17" today, I imagined thousands of new TiBook owners worldwide kicking themselves in a single, simultaneous moment.

I think there will be a lot of TiBooks appearing on eBay this week as people starting scratching up money for the AlBook.

Damn you, Steve. You make such amazing things... but when you bite, man... it hurts.

(crying self to sleep)

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
Normally I wouldn't agree with you, but now I see it -- your situation.

Anguish away...

You could do nothing; who would think that Apple would unveil a new powerbook line after releasing a update a couple months ago.

No one really saw it -- even the Mac genius' that chill (operate) on this site. They probably gave you the advice to buy.

Like this posted by Arn:
"Powerbook updates are something liek 6-9 months apart. The Powerbook will not be updated soon. Get it now."

It just goes to show, Apple will always have one up on EVERYONE. No one really knows for sure...

Life could be worse, though. You could be using a Dell laptop running the extremely exciting Windows XP operating (sure pal!).

Chad4Mac

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I concur with what has been said so far.

In retrospect, yes you might have gotten the shaft in the short run, however you still own one of the best Apple products currently available.

Your model has not been phased out or dropped from support. Nor is it that "obsolete."

In some cases, your TiBook is even faster in some applications with the Radeon card.

MacRoni

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2002
Laptop Revolution

This new update may have a greater purpose than to piss me off now that I think about it. Since I have some knowledge of computer sales, I do see the ever-growing trend towards consumer laptops. Laptops are gaining more and more market share and companies like Apple, as well as those who create tablet PCs are jumping on the bandwagon. Not too long ago, M$ tablets began to pop up everywhere like a bad rash, in response to fleeting desktop sales and the promise of a re-invigorated market: the mobile consumer. Now that Apple has beefed up their mobile lineup, they should see incredible profits in laptops, to make up for losses in desktop sales such as the PowerMac. This new release can only be a stepping stone to the new G5 Power- lineup.

Zion Grail

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Chicagoland
Actually, the price changes were insignificant. Also, there are few differences between the TiBooks and the new PBs.

1) Different case... no big deal. The TiBook still looks awesome.

2) Different keyboard. So it doesn't light up. I can live with that. Plus, I don't think I'll ever need it the light-up keyboard.

3) Airport Extreme. So what. I dont' even have Airport yet. And Airport v1 is still plenty fast for me, thanks. Faster than my connection, anyway.

4) No door in the back to block the ports, and the ports themselves moved to the side. Eh. Would've been nice but doesn't exactly ruin my day, either.

5) Firewire 800. This'll be nice in the future but for now just having Firewire v1 is a very, very good thing in a PC-dominated world.

Other than that, there isn't a big deal. Unless you wanted to go as cheap or as expensive as possible (and get the bit-TOO-small 12" PB or ungodly expensive $3200 17" model), you're still doing just fine with the TiBooks. The stats and price are otherwise the same.

And yes, I belong in that club, too. And I am a student on a limited budget. So :p

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
This new product release caught almost everyone off guard. Not much to go on except a vague rumor right before MacWorld of the screen sizes.

I'm just going to enjoy my new 1 GHz TiBook for the next year or so and see what comes down the pipe in 2004. :)

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Um...

Are we really expected to feel sorry for someone who owns a 15.2" Titanium PowerBook with SuperDrive?!

Next you'll be telling us that you didn't get your Porche in the color that you really, really wanted.

Anyways...

I was planning on getting a Ti Book and I probably still will. The 17" it too massive for me and the 12" lacks the L3 cache and can't support 1GB RAM.

I'm very happy about the timing of the $200 price drop & the DVD-R media price drop is great.

I'd be satisfied with any of the 3 PB's as long as they have the SuperDrive.

I do wonder when the 15.2" will be updated... but I'm not going to worry about it, it's awesome as it is.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Originally posted by Zion Grail
1) Different case... no big deal. The TiBook still looks awesome.

could be a big deal to somebody who got screwed with one of the pealing models....

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
MacRoni -

here's something to make you feel better -

1. The new 17" is going to have MAJOR teething problems..........just look at it! I personally think that this first set is going to be the 'guinea pig' set..........the 1 Ghz 15" though has been tried and tested.........so in reality, you own Mac's most stable computer right now

2. The 17" isn't even going to ship until, for like, 7 to 10 weeks.......that could mean it could be until APRIL that some people get their hands on one........November to April is a good 6 months........so technically, Apple should've introduced this product in March........but they didn't........

feel better?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by TheMightyG
Never buy anything within 2 months of a Macworld.
Period.

man, even a newbie can tell you this. ur a member. you got to read as well as post.

do yourself a favor. go to an apple store and ask when they will have their first available 17" AiBook in stock that is not pre-ordered.

then you will see. yo already got yours :)

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
What is your problem, you liked the Tibook enough to buy it when you did, and it was your choice, I'm sure no one at Apple told you your model would be the best for years to come, technology advances all the time and I'm sure you've added your two bits in on the "we need faster macs" threads of the past, but for some reason you want the fastest macs for free.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.