PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Millenium Music iPod for CD trade?

iSaint
Jan 1, 2006, 09:10 PM
Ran across this iPod for CD trade (http://www.millenniummusic.com/trades.html) on iPod Lounge (http://www.ilounge.com/). Send them your old CDs and get an iPod. Anyone heard of this company or done business with them? I have about 145 CDs in my way. I'm thinking of sending them in.

CanadaRAM
Jan 1, 2006, 09:32 PM
It's just a used CD store -- they buy CD's for $2 each and sell them for $6 each. The fact they are paying you with a $200 iPod instead of $200 cash is just a gimmick.

Also be prepared that once you ship them all your CDs, some of them may be rejected - criteria (http://www.millenniummusic.com/quality.html) - and you'll be invited to either pay freight to have them shipped back, or abandon them.

iSaint
Jan 12, 2006, 11:40 AM
A bump to update my transaction with Millenium Music. They accepted 80 CDs, or gave me credit for 80 CDs of the 145 or so I sent in. Knowing what I sent, that's about what I expected. So I'm getting (my 12 yr old daughter's getting) a 2G Nano.

Needless to say she's thrilled because EVERYONE got one for Christmas except HER. She's not really the whiney type, though, but a lot of her friends did get one.

I received UPS confirmation of the item being shipped today.

andiwm2003
Jan 12, 2006, 02:27 PM
um, does that mean you rip your cd's to your mac and then you sell them to Millenium Music for a nano? i don't want to be the wiseass but is that exactly legal? not that many people care anyway:D

jamdr
Jan 12, 2006, 03:03 PM
um, does that mean you rip your cd's to your mac and then you sell them to Millenium Music for a nano? i don't want to be the wiseass but is that exactly legal? not that many people care anyway:D
Sure you could do that, but it's not a very good deal. You buy CDs for $15 and sell them for $2, so you're spending $1500 on a 2GB nano. Of course you have your music, too, but it would be cheaper just to buy the nano and music from Apple.

iSaint
Jan 12, 2006, 03:50 PM
Sure you could do that, but it's not a very good deal. You buy CDs for $15 and sell them for $2, so you're spending $1500 on a 2GB nano. Of course you have your music, too, but it would be cheaper just to buy the nano and music from Apple.

Do you know how old my CDs were? ...and how long I've had them? ...and how often I played them? :D lol...seriously, for me this was a box of CDs 99% of which I didn't listen to anymore. There were some good titles: Rolling Stones, Bonnie Raitt, Ramones, Smithereens, New Order, Rod Stewart...but there were some bad ones, too (whale songs of the Pacific).

I've had two sets of CDs stolen from my car in the past five years, so I'd lost everything that was the good stuff, my favorites. The second time I gave up and bought an iPod. I copied some of the CDs I had left, but mostly borrowed friends CDs and have built up a good collection on my iPod now. I've spent so much money in the recording industry over 30 years it's ridiculous.

For me, it's getting rid of the bulk of CDs laying around the house. I still have the music (the music I wanted), but in a great little box I have with me all the time. Carrying around your entire music collection in the palm of your hand...how cool is that?

Now I use iTunes and spend my money there.

p.s. love your Talking Heads avatar

iSaint
Jan 17, 2006, 10:31 AM
Got the Nano in today. My daughter's definitely in the cult of Mac. She just looked at the box for a few minutes before opening. We had to explain to her little brother, age 6, that you just don't tear open new Apple equipment. You savor the moment.

FYI they gave me full credit for 80 CDs, and I sent about 145 as said above. They also sent about 15 back. Wish they had kept them!!!

It was brand new in an unopened box, sealed with the pricetag still on it. Not a bad deal all in all.