PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano questions...

theipodgod16
Jan 2, 2006, 12:19 AM
my 20gb ipod is showing a sad ipod icon now, and I hear a clicking inside. I think I dropped it too many times...anyways i was thinking of buying a new nano.
1. If i keep my firewire cable and power brick, can i charge the nano with that, or do i have to buy a usb power brick? 2. Does a scratched screen really affect the viewability of the nano? Mine right now has huge gashes across the entire top of the screen, but with the backlight on, you can't tell....is it the same with the nano?
3. If I have 500 songs on a 4gb nano, can i still put 3000 pictures on it?
4. Does apple offer a trade in replacement program with dead ipods? $50 or something toward a new one?

any help will help. thanks

mad jew
Jan 2, 2006, 12:23 AM
1. If i keep my firewire cable and power brick, can i charge the nano with that, or do i have to buy a usb power brick?

Yeah, I charge my nano with an old 4G Firewire adaptor.

2. Does a scratched screen really affect the viewability of the nano? Mine right now has huge gashes across the entire top of the screen, but with the backlight on, you can't tell....is it the same with the nano?

I haven't had any scratch problems so far. Well, I haven't had anymore scratches than I did with my 4G at the same age and stage.

Erm... It depends on the size of the songs and the size of the pictures. I doubt you'll be able to get that much on though.

4. Does apple offer a trade in replacement program with dead ipods? $50 or something toward a new one?

Not that I know of in Australia at least, sorry. :o

mduser63
Jan 2, 2006, 12:25 AM
my 20gb ipod is showing a sad ipod icon now, and I hear a clicking inside. I think I dropped it too many times...anyways i was thinking of buying a new nano.
1. If i keep my firewire cable and power brick, can i charge the nano with that, or do i have to buy a usb power brick? 2. Does a scratched screen really affect the viewability of the nano? Mine right now has huge gashes across the entire top of the screen, but with the backlight on, you can't tell....is it the same with the nano?

any help will help. thanks

1. You can charge (but not sync) a nano using your FireWire cable and charger.
2. Not sure on this one. I recommend an InvisibleShield. I've got one on my 5G and it's great.
3. No, Apple's advertising is a little misleading. It's 500 songs OR 3000 photos (or some combination of less than 500 songs and 3000 photos).
4. IIRC, Apple offers 10% off the purchase of a new iPod when you trade in an old one. I don't know if a broken one counts. I think it's to encourage recycling, so a dead one may be fine. Call Apple and find out.

adk
Jan 2, 2006, 01:22 AM
I had a few scratches on my nano and I could definitely notice them a lot more than on a grayscale LCD display.

theipodgod16
Jan 2, 2006, 03:31 AM
does anyone else find that the screen strains the eyes because of it's size? (i'm only 18, and have perfect vision, so i know it's not me...)

mad jew
Jan 2, 2006, 04:51 AM
I'm fine with the screen. I'm lucky enough to have brilliant eyesight though. :)

Deepdale
Jan 2, 2006, 05:02 AM
does anyone else find that the screen strains the eyes because of it's size? (i'm only 18, and have perfect vision, so i know it's not me...)

My membership in the 20/20 club was revoked years ago and I can get away with the screen as it is when looking at it in stores with glasses, but I still would not buy one.