Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of iOS 7?

• It's great! Very few problems

Votes: 88 27.5%
  • It's good, but there's room for improvement

Votes: 148 46.3%
  • Not good. It needs a lot of work

Votes: 53 16.6%
  • It's terrible

Votes: 31 9.7%

• Total voters

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
When iOS 7 was launched, the majority of people loved it. As time went on, a few people have been vocal about their hate of the new operating system, while others don't have a problem with it. I know there's already a poll about this, but I wanted an updated poll to see how people felt about it today.

P1otr

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
PL
Shouldn't have been released so early.
Altering so many "basic" things e.g. slider, dialer etc with each release is the proof I'm right.
They should be working on stability and speed now. Not on constant changes to UI, which should have been agreed upon 95% before releasing it to the public.

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I think that for the first time since buying the original iPhone that I should look at the other options. I thought I was too deep into Apple's ecosystem but I could use the kid's iPod to do everything I need to do at home (Hue lights, iTunes remote control, AirPlay, etc.).

I don't see what problem they were trying to solve with iOS 7. Maybe I'll understand when it is finished.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Went from disliking it to enjoying it a lot. Still a lot of room for improvement though.

P1otr

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
PL
I have written what I loathe about iOS7. Now it's time for what I miss and should definitely be implemented:
1) quick reply
2)facebook and twitter buttons in... hmmm... notification center? Nope. Since the're not notifications, they should rather be fitted into the control centre.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I personally saw no need at all for the redesign of the UI. The incremental changes were fine for me. There WERE some nasty UI fails from the Forstall days (the podcasts app being one of them), but a simple backing away of that into something more usable, would've been just fine.

Not to say that iOS 6 and some of the skeuemorphic crud that carried over into OS X were perfect (felt backgrounds? Ripped sheets in Calendar? That horrible font in the notes app?), but toning down or removing those would've made things great as they were. The iOS7 flat redesign was a massive overreaction, and Apple listened too hard to a few users with ADHD who kept bellyaching that they were "bored" with the look and feel.

Even having said that though, I don't mind the new look. I'm annoyed that the changes were drastic enough that a learning curve was required to figure out the changes, even if it was a short curve. And I'm annoyed that so much effort was spent on the UI that bugs weren't addressed enough, and even so I still have to wonder what the team wasted so much time on for such a simple looking UI that can apparently be replicated in MS Word.

But, even though I'm annoyed, I do still like iOS7, and wouldn't want to go back.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I got used to the new UI in minutes, and ios 6 looks so ugly that I updated my work iPhone against policy (3 months later they told me I could).

I really like Control Centre, I use it almost daily.

I hate the way that Safari crashes several times a day (including my first attempt to reply to this thread). I hate the other bugs, like iMessage not working on my iPad.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I didn't like some of the icons at first (Safari) and it certainly doesn't look good in static pictures but in video and in using it it's much nicer, almost alive. The animations are a little too slow for my reaction speed but I hear 7.1 fixes that, and even then it's not that annoying to me. The one thing I would really like is a dark UI option for night time that many apps have implemented (ex. Tweetbot). The blinding translucent white at night is just that, blinding.

However, almost every aspect of iOS 7 is more powerful than it's equivalent in iOS 6 and as a power user I take advantage of that. It would be detrimental for me to go back to iOS 6.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Never liked change for the sake of change. Just because it is that time of year doesn't mean you have to make a major change. If it isn't broken don't throw it out. Make little tweaks. Only come out with a major change when it needed and then ONLY after it has been tested. Having your customer base do your QC is never good.

Zyiros

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Its the first of its kind. It needs some updates. I hate the gradients, whites, and blurs though. It was iOS 7, for the most part, that I just sold my iPad Mini. iOS 7 just doesn't feel Apple.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I personally saw no need at all for the redesign of the UI. The incremental changes were fine for me. There WERE some nasty UI fails from the Forstall days (the podcasts app being one of them), but a simple backing away of that into something more usable, would've been just fine.

Not to say that iOS 6 and some of the skeuemorphic crud that carried over into OS X were perfect (felt backgrounds? Ripped sheets in Calendar? That horrible font in the notes app?), but toning down or removing those would've made things great as they were. The iOS7 flat redesign was a massive overreaction, and Apple listened too hard to a few users with ADHD who kept bellyaching that they were "bored" with the look and feel.

Even having said that though, I don't mind the new look. I'm annoyed that the changes were drastic enough that a learning curve was required to figure out the changes, even if it was a short curve. And I'm annoyed that so much effort was spent on the UI that bugs weren't addressed enough, and even so I still have to wonder what the team wasted so much time on for such a simple looking UI that can apparently be replicated in MS Word.

But, even though I'm annoyed, I do still like iOS7, and wouldn't want to go back.

Very well said. I don't mind the new UI, but I'm annoyed that these changes often made actions more tedious. For example, in iOS 6 you pressed the share option and the button for wallpapers was right there. In iOS 7 I now have to press the share button and then swipe over to wallpaper. Similar issues in iWork. I don't understand the point of redefining the UI and making things LESS productive.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Very well said. I don't mind the new UI, but I'm annoyed that these changes often made actions more tedious. For example, in iOS 6 you pressed the share option and the button for wallpapers was right there. In iOS 7 I now have to press the share button and then swipe over to wallpaper. Similar issues in iWork. I don't understand the point of redefining the UI and making things LESS productive.

Well, we know who was OCD about customer experience and he is no longer in charge....RIP

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I liked it from the beginning and still do. iOS 7 doesn't crash or lag on my iPhone 5s, iPad 4, wife's iPhone 5, or my 2kids iPod 5th generations. None if us are "power users", but for all the normal uses it works great. My buddy still has iOS 6 and it just looks foreign to me at this point.
iOS 7 did basically kill our iPhone 4 that we were using as an iPod, but that is only because the processor can't handle it well.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
The current dock needs to go and a few icons need to be worked on but otherwise that, it's ok. :apple:

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I think everyone needs to chillax. I love the new design and the new icons. Just because it's pretty doesn't mean it's for 4-year-olds...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.