Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook will meet with Turkish President Abdullah Gül tomorrow at the Çankaya Presidential Compound in Ankara, according to the President's official calendar.

The visit comes as Apple is planning to open its first retail store in the heart of Istanbul's new multi-use Zorlu Center sometime in 2014. Apple is also heavily involved in the bidding for Turkey's $4.5 billion tablet initiative that will see as many as 15 million tablets given to the country's schoolchildren, and Apple executives have met with the president about the project before.

john_couch_turkey.jpg
Turkish president Abdullah Gül at far left, Apple VP John Couch at far right at their meeting last year
Cook's visit is part of an international tour that saw him visiting Ireland last week and the United Arab Emirates earlier today.

Update: According to an official report [Google Translate] of the meeting, Cook revealed that the new Istanbul will open in April and will be unique among the company's stores. Cook and Gül also discussed the possibility of Apple bringing some research and development to Turkey, Siri support for Turkish, Apple's emphasis on education as it relates to the tablet initiative, and a request by Cook to remove luxury taxes currently applied to iPhone and iPad sales.

cook_gul_turkey.jpg
Thanks Mert!

Article Link: Tim Cook to Meet With Turkish President Ahead of Istanbul Apple Store Opening [Updated]

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
That's pretty cool that a CEO of a private company has the power to meet with world leaders.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Even cooler that he picks a nation that has a newly formed re-alliance with Iran. The first NATO nation to also allow Al Qaida to roam freely.

Seems that Cook is like a dog that will wiggle on any vertical economic opportunity.

Last edited:

pocket3d

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010
Even cooler that he picks a nation that has a newly formed re-alliance with Iran. The first NATO nation to also allow Al Qaida to roam freely.

Seems that Cook is like a dog that will wiggle on any vertical economic opportunity.

I look forward to a meeting between him and Vladimir Putin. But I would interpret it differently from you. It would be an opportunity to spread Apple's values of promoting creativity.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I look forward to a meeting between him and Vladimir Putin. But I would interpret it differently from you. It would be an opportunity to spread Apple's values of promoting creativity.
Apple should retain from politics.

Meeting the Turkish president makes sense considering a $4.5 billion deal.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

What creativity do you speak of? Apple is not about creativity but about telling us it is cool to own an Apple device. Apple is about profit and that makes it no different than any other large company.

----------

Apple should retain from politics.

Meeting the Turkish president makes sense considering a $4.5 billion deal.

I guess we should consider whoring ourselves to anyone...including those that would house terrorists openly that wish our demise.

Reactions: laz232

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
I guess we should consider whoring ourselves to anyone...including those that would house terrorists openly that wish our demise.

The principle of what you are saying is sound (although nowadays the definition of what constitutes a "terrorist" is often very gray), but we need to start making these kinds of demands to our politicians before we worry about manufacturers of consumer goods.

ardaburak

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
Istanbul
I don't really know how to react to these comments. Apple is an American company and we buy s***load of iStuff. There is a store opening and APPLE wants a bigger share since market here today belongs to 3rd party sellers and maniac carries who looo000ove yanking out incredible amount of money and imprison us to their 2-3 years long, so called, contracts.

So, why don't you take your meager knowledge of politics or whatever and go to some other thread or stop getting off-topic, please.

HAMEYO

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011

What creativity do you speak of? Apple is not about creativity but about telling us it is cool to own an Apple device. Apple is about profit and that makes it no different than any other large company.

----------

You're SUCH NONSENSE RETARD if You Think NAÏVELY SO !
Al Qaida is BACKED by CIA who're Bringing About CONFLICT ALL OVER THE WORLD !
They EVEN Masterminding & Agitating Anti-Putin Movement in Russia Just As They DID in Syria TOO !!!!!!

Apple's Move is ABSOLUTELY CONTRARY TO WHAT You Accuse of !
They (Apple) are Very Very UNIQUELY REAL GLOBAL MIND ENTERPRIZE, Completely OPPOSITE to Your MIND-SET !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.