PDA

View Full Version : ok to use firewire and usb cables at same time?

Salteh
Jan 2, 2006, 03:46 PM
my gf just got a 30gb 5g video ipod which lacks the firewire support i use for my own 20gb 3g ipod.
i already had a firewire only to dock cable which i use for my own ipod, and i also have a usb/firewire to dock cable i bought and used to use before i got firewire a couple of years ago.
now my gf is using my pc aswell as hers to download music to her ipod ive got to use the usb/firewire cable, i just wanna know is it ok to connect both the usb and firewire connections from this cable to my pc?
id rather use firewire for my own ipod and usb for hers as firewire is alot faster

balamw
Jan 2, 2006, 05:58 PM
is it ok to connect both the usb and firewire connections from this cable to my pc?
Not quite the answer to your question, but I use a FireWire cable for my 4G and my wife's mini and a USB cable for my 5G, and I often have iPods on both connected to the computer at the same time. You coul use only the USB part of you combo cable and should be safe.

The real risk to plugging both of the connectors in would be that both ports might try to supply power to the iPod and fry the charging circuits. It looks like the power lines are separate on the iPod so it's probably smart enough to have power source selection logic. Do I have 12V (FW in)? Do I have 5V (USB in)? Oh well I guess I'm on battery.

B