Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
:( I flipped open my iBook this afternoon and nothing happened, I hit the space bar to try and wake it but still nothing happen so I had to restart it and since then the display has been screwed see attached jpeg that's about as good as I've had it other times it's had vertical coloured lines across the whole screen or just a blank screen.
I assume it's the video card that's knackered as a screen grab doesn't have any problems.
I'm I screwed or can you change the video card and if you can how much is a card and can I do it myself?

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
mpw said:
:( I flipped open my iBook this afternoon and nothing happened, I hit the space bar to try and wake it but still nothing happen so I had to restart it and since then the display has been screwed see attached jpeg that's about as good as I've had it other times it's had vertical coloured lines across the whole screen or just a blank screen.
I assume it's the video card that's knackered as a screen grab doesn't have any problems.
I'm I screwed or can you change the video card and if you can how much is a card and can I do it myself?

I didn't read your whole post, but sounds like the video card, and the same happened with my 500mhz, it was hosed, no hope of saving it, and Apple will charge you $300.

You should part it out and sell the parts.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Looks like your logic board died. The G3 iBooks are famous for that, but the G3 logic board replacement program ended. :(

You can't replace the graphics card, as it's soldered onto the motherboard (logic board).

Sorry. :(

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Has anybody ever actually been able to pinpoint exactly why these iBooks are so prone to logic board failure?

It's common knowledge that they do fail, but I've heard countless (totally speculative) reasons why.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
amacgenius said:
I didn't read your whole post, but sounds like the video card, and the same happened with my 500mhz, it was hosed, no hope of saving it, and Apple will charge you $300.

You should part it out and sell the parts.

Aww crap!

ITASOR said:
Looks like your logic board died. The G3 iBooks are famous for that, but the G3 logic board replacement program ended. :(

You can't replace the graphics card, as it's soldered onto the motherboard (logic board).

Sorry. :(

Aww crap!

amacgenius said:

Aww crap!

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
clayj said:
At least you can power the thing on and transfer your files off of it before you junk it...
Glass half full.

While true there aren't any files on it I need the iMac holds all my data the iBook's already been revived once from HDD failure and it's only job is to connect wirelessly to the internet to search for pictures of katie ta achoo!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Or could it be a problem of pinched wires in the hinges affecting the LCD? Wouldn't the whole screen be down if it was the logic board, not a partial screen?

I'd try to hook up to an external monitor somehow to check the logic board. If it is just bad wires in the screen, new screen or fix the cables.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
California said:
Or could it be a problem of pinched wires in the hinges affecting the LCD? Wouldn't the whole screen be down if it was the logic board, not a partial screen?

I'd try to hook up to an external monitor somehow to check the logic board. If it is just bad wires in the screen, new screen or fix the cables.

Shortly after my last post the whole screen switched to red and white pinstripes and was unresponsive. I left it to go to sleep and woke it by tapping the space bar and the screen was OK again.

Also it seems to be effected when the screen redraws, for example when the lower half of the screen only is effected I can start typing at the tops and as the text moves down the screen to the lower half the screen will redraw and fix just around the text.

When I can open a new window that too can work as a temporary fix??

I'm guessing video card. Now I have a dilemma as to whether to replace with another Apple or go Windows as I'm getting pissed at Apple 'cause they won't supply me through AppleStore online anymore.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am 99% sure it is the logic board.

I have 3 dead (1 semi dead) logic boards at home with this same issue. You can try to boot the system with the lid partly opened, and start doing your file copies off of it.

This is purely speculation, but for whatever reason I think the chassis (frame) holding the logic board on these were weak. The iBooks I replaced would be fine until i bumped it or moved the screen causing it to flex. This happened on 3 separate iBooks that I fixed and sold, and all 3 had the same problem (bought all of them on ebay from people who didn't know how to fix them).

If you can, keep your eyes open on ebay for logic boards, and snatch them up if they are ~$100. Buy one, and try your hand at replacing the board. It is tricky the first time, but if you can follow the directions from PB Fixit or other sites, you should be able to swap out your logic board, and continue life with a happy iBook.

I have fixed and sold 3 of them now, all 3 are still in use, and the learning experience I took from them has really helped me learn more about macs, and the inner workings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.