PDA

View Full Version : Can older G5 PM's hold hard drives larger than 250gb?

2A Batterie
Jan 2, 2006, 06:02 PM
I have a Rev. A dual 2.0 pm and was wondering if I could put a second hard drive that was larger than 250gb. I know that the current PM's can hold 500gb hard drives, but for some reason I remember that the older PM's can only hold drives that are 250gb. Am I crazy thinking this?

Benjamindaines
Jan 2, 2006, 06:10 PM
I think you can hold just as large of a HDD as the current ones. The 250 was just all Apple was offering at the time. I have a dual 2.5 (when that was the best you could get Rev. C I think) and I have 2 300GBs in there.

RGunner
Jan 2, 2006, 06:16 PM
Rev A. PowerMac here with a 7200.8 - 400GB without any issues.

Do be careful of drives which have SSC enabled by default, some do not work with the onboard G5 SATA controllers. Seagate does have a utility which you can run from a PC which turns SSC off / on if you happen to buy a 7200.9.

2A Batterie
Jan 2, 2006, 06:31 PM
Rev A. PowerMac here with a 7200.8 - 400GB without any issues.

Do be careful of drives which have SCC enabled by default, some do not work with the onboard G5 SATA controllers. Seagate does have a utility which you can run from a PC which turns SCC off / on if you happen to buy a 7200.9.

May be a dumb question, but what is SCC? Go Bucs! Up on ND 21-7 now!

RGunner
Jan 2, 2006, 06:36 PM
SSC (Spread Spectrum Clocking) is a SATA III spec which some manufacturers are incorporating into I.5 and II drives. Basically its a method of reducing electronic noise... My understanding is, it is not even radified into the SATA specs... the short of it, its not needed (yet).

Yep, so far so good, although ND just scored (missed point after tho)... ND has looked horrible most of game past their opening drive. Can only hope OSU holds on.