Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gizibe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Hey forum,

I have a Mid 2012 Macbook pro, i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hard disk.
Was offered to trade with a 2011 Macbook air i5, 4gb, 256gb SSD.

Are they both sorta the same value? :confused:

I tried looking online but couldn't find a consistent value. Thanks!

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Hey forum,

I have a Mid 2012 Macbook pro, i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hard disk.
Was offered to trade with a 2011 Macbook air i5, 4gb, 256gb SSD.

Are they both sorta the same value? :confused:

I tried looking online but couldn't find a consistent value. Thanks!

The biggest draw back in this trade is you're downgrading the GPU from the HD4000 to the HD3000, which sorta blows as a GPU. You can add an SSD to your MBP and that thing will be way better than that Air, presuming you're not just looking for lightness in a computer.

What are your needs? Are you looking to trade for a MBA initially? Do you do anything that requires GPU power?

gizibe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks for reply!

I see. That's very valuable information :)

Well my main intention is to sell the MBP. Was just wondering if the market values for both are the same, in case i decide to keep the Air due to its convenient size and what not.

Would the Air sell the same price as the MBP then?

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Thanks for reply!

I see. That's very valuable information :)

Well my main intention is to sell the MBP. Was just wondering if the market values for both are the same, in case i decide to keep the Air due to its convenient size and what not.

Would the Air sell the same price as the MBP then?

Here's what you should do. Go to ebay, to the right of the search field it says "Advanced" click on that. Enter you search text "2012 macbook pro 13 i5" and check the box for "Completed listings" and run your search.

What I found was the Air seems to sell more regularly over the last few weeks and at a slightly higher price than the MBP. However, I believe your machine is the better machine and can be RAM and HDD/SSD upgraded. You could just pimp your ride...

Take all that FWIW. I'd probably not trade for an older machine that you don't know the history on just to try and sell it. But that's me. Good luck!

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Try both configurations on this site:

http://www.sellyourmac.com/

(and don't be shocked, the value shown there is rather low as this is what this company is buying for, but it will help you compare the two)

Overall I would say they are similar in value, but I agree with above statement I personally believe the MBPro is a lot better and with a 150$ upgrade you have a 250 SSD inside. Portability aside of course.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I would not. You can add SSD/RAM if you want, and you have better battery life, faster CPU, faster graphics, and USB 3.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.