Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
So the stereo in my car has a connection (not auxiliary) for an iPhone 4....it used to work fine...Until I got the iPhone 5 of course. The iPhone 5 has the small connection. So i bought an adapter but it doesn't work....no sound or anything is recognized through this. Does the sound transfer some other way in the iphone 5? Id like to use the same connection since it is better quality then an aux cable. Pictures are attached. If anyone ran ingot he same problem please share how you fixed it. Thanks . =)

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

hidefguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
BTW what kind of car do you have? I'm in the same dilemma, I have a Audi and it has the built in adapter for the iPhone 4 similar to yours but I never got the chance to try it with the adapter.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I have a BMW but it is an aftermarket deck....the connector does nothing. :(

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Got it on ebay. That's probably why? Garbage haha...I'll get a real one today. Thanks guys. =)

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I have a Dodge car and have a Dodge / Mopar 30 pin connector add on piece.

Try OEM Apple 30 pin to 8 pin converter, it's about $30.
Many if not all aftermarket will only charge but not pass over digital audio which the 8 pin has.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Got it on ebay. That's probably why? Garbage haha...
The adapter that you bought may work for certain functionality but for analog audio (used by many 30 pin interfaces) a DAC is needed for use with the Lightning port. Apple's has the DAC. No telling if a 3rd party adapter does or does not without verifying with the maker. I have Apple's adapters (cable version) in all three vehicles with 30 pin interfaces and all of them have no problems with audio.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=45
This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Supports analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported.

Id like to use the same connection since it is better quality then an aux cable.
Aux doesn't really impact the audio quality. It's a matter of getting line level audio versus using the headphone jack (and going through the noisy headphone amp).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.