Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james948

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
I've hook up my rMBP to a 30inch Apple Display and it drives me NUTS the way my full screen windows never stay in the same place.

Quite simply I want to be able to instantly toggle a work environment. JUST like you do on Photoshop. This would put my calendar at full screen on the furthermost space of my rMBP, the next one would be Mail etc etc

At the moment every time I disconnect and then reconnect I have to re-sort these windows.

Sometimes, I don't want mail fullscreen so I drag that I'd like to be able to instantly toggle it back the way it was. If calendar is quit then relaunch it, if mail is full screen but in the 30inch space then move it.

I've tried the following apps:

Stay
Breeze
Display Maid

None of them seem to work properly. They can't really deal with multiple spaces and full-screen apps.

I've tried keyboard maestro but either it doesn't do what I want or I can't work out how to make it do what I want.

Any help or advice here would be very much appreciated.

I can't believe no one has come up with a solution yet! Does no one else want this?

Didn't you used to be able to state apps to open in certain windows? Not full screen and not what space but nevertheless.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I'd be happy if even just Finder windows remembered their position. I've tried every trick out there for years and now have given up for eternity. For whatever reason I'm convinced that this will never happen.

There is an app called simple window sets for Finder windows that saves pre-grouped sets and positions of windows that you arrange and then give a name. Not bad, but it is hard to remember to use it and it only works for Finder windows. You might take a look at an app called Optimal Layout also.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Didn't you used to be able to state apps to open in certain windows?

Yes, and you still can. Right-click/Control-click on an app in the Dock and choose Options and in the lower half of the popup you can choose what space(s) your app lives in.

I have no solution for the moving spaces problem. I change spaces by clicking on app icons in the Dock, it turns out I do not actually care where the spaces are positioned.

I'd be happy if even just Finder windows remembered their position.

To make a Finder window remember its size and position: open it, adjust it and immediate close it. Open it again and it will be where you left it.

A.

ps: See also: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18740265/
(uncheck "Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use" in Mission Control)

Last edited:

james948

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
All good ideas. Have unchecked and will see how it behaves. But I would kill to be able to toggle different environments. Seems like the sort of poweruser feature someone would have written an app for by now

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
To make a Finder window remember its size and position: open it, adjust it and immediate close it. Open it again and it will be where you left it.

Yes that works for about 5 minutes or till a reboot and then back to dumb again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.