Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daudi81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
I have a multiple monitor setup for my 2013 macbook pro 15" (750m version).

3 Monitor Setup Configuration:

MBP Display(left) - Thunderbolt Display1(middle) - Thunderbolt Display2(right)

I usually use the MBP Display for skype/chat/finder/etc, and rarely ever have any full screen apps on it. The TB Display1 and 2 usually have 2-3 FULL SCREEN apps/desktops on them each, containing a combination of browsers and word/excel docs.

The reason I do this is because I use the trackpad religiously, swyping between desktops/full screen apps on each monitor depending on where my cursor is and where I need to be. So I need each desktop laid out exactly how I want it. This is why I switched to a Mac from Windows, this layout makes me incredibly efficient switching between desktops/apps and monitors. It's truly awesome.

The problem is, whenever I OPEN a new application, all the full screen apps/desktops get re-arranged. If they get moved around, then when I swype to a new desktop on any given monitor, it's not the program/app that I want, and then I have to open up Mission Control and re-order them all over again. It's fine when I don't need to open anything new, but whenever I do I have to go back and re-arrange everything the way I had it. It kills the efficiency I gained in the first place.

Why does Mavericks do this? Am I just using Mavericks wrong? Is there a way to lock the desktop/full screen apps order?

My preference would be that any new program I open will appear on the MBP Display (left) since I don't use any full screen apps on that display. If I eventually wanted to make that app full screen, I could initiate it and move it over to my main displays. I don't want Mavericks to touch my TB1 & 2 (middle & right) full screen apps or desktops at all, or re-arrange them in anyway. I would like them to be locked, and have it be so they can ONLY get re-arranged if I go in and do it manually with mission control or equivalent.

It's driving me nuts. I am coming from Windows 7, so I'm a bit new to Mavericks, but I don't remember Windows 7 ever doing this.

Any ideas? I can create a screencast of the issue if it's not making sense.

daudi81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Ok I'm not sure if this fixed it, but I went to Mission Control preferences and unchecked "Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use."

It's working 'so far'... but now, if I'm on a full screen app on my middle display (Thunderbolt 1), then open a program through launchpad or equivalent, it switches from the current full screen app, to a previous space on that display (in this case an empty desktop), but instead of opening that app on my current Monitor (Thunderbolt 1)...it opens the program on my left display (MB Pro Display).

I don't know if this is making any sense...but this is So weird!!!

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the same issue as yours, but since I've upgraded to Mavericks applications are opening on the monitor opposite to where they were during last use. It's rather annoying.

daudi81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Yes that's exactly what's happening. Very odd. I waited until Mavericks to switch from windows because it OSX was atrocious at multi monitors, so it's a bit annoying that I'm having issues. Might just bootcamp windows 7 until there's a fix out.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Yes that's exactly what's happening. Very odd. I waited until Mavericks to switch from windows because it OSX was atrocious at multi monitors, so it's a bit annoying that I'm having issues. Might just bootcamp windows 7 until there's a fix out.

Well, I guess the obvious short-term fix is, if you have enough RAM, just keep the apps you use open. OS X is very stable, Mavericks' RAM management is great, and if you don't have any leaky apps you should be fine leaving everything running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.