Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Windows 7 is taking an extra 26GB after Windows Update. I even did another clean install and I got the same results.

236GB total
212GB after clean install
186GB after windows update

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Microsoft keeps the updates around I believe which adds to the overall heft of the OS

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Just installed 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium with all the updates on a spare PC and it only takes up 24gb's of space including the latest Nvidia video drivers, Chrome, and Microsoft Security Essentials . I wonder why your install is so big?

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Just installed 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium with all the updates on a spare PC and it only takes up 24gb's of space including the latest Nvidia video drivers, Chrome, and Microsoft Security Essentials . I wonder why your install is so big?

How much RAM do you have? I have 16GB and I just discovered that Windows reserves the same amount for virtual memory, yet another 16GB for hibernation. :eek:

If you have 8GB and it takes 24GB, mine would take over 40GB... Right?

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
here is how to disable hibernation, do this gave me back about 10GB on my boot camp partition which I made small because I only need it for 1 gamehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

here is how you change the size of virtual memory

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-virtual-memory-size#1TC=windows-7

My hibernation is set to off in the power management section by default. If I deactivate hibernation using the link above, the option is gone. To select "never" hibernate and to set the function off means the same?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
My hibernation is set to off in the power management section by default. If I deactivate hibernation using the link above, the option is gone. To select "never" hibernate and to set the function off means the same?

it worked for me thats all I can say, even with it set to off, disabling it gave me back 10GB

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

Setting hibernation to "never" doesn't actually delete the file that is occupying all that space. Using the command prompt as instructed above removes the file and thus, the option for you to set anything.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Have you tried deleting system restore points created automatically before the update ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.