Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Hi,

when i open the finder window it freezes for a few seconds and the spiining coloured ball comes on, then it goes ok.

I have tried veryfying the disk, repairing disk permissions, i've deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file, all do nothing.

I'm on osx 10.8.5

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this happening? its becoming so annoying.

thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you happen to have any networked or external drives attached when this happens? If you do, sometimes you will see this while the drive is mounted and spun up.

tomf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
No, nothing attached. It's a MacBook Pro with 1 internal drive.

The only thing I can think of might be this thing is installed to bring the colour back to the finder window. But I have the same thing on my studio Mac Pro and that ones fine.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No, nothing attached. It's a MacBook Pro with 1 internal drive.

The only thing I can think of might be this thing is installed to bring the colour back to the finder window. But I have the same thing on my studio Mac Pro and that ones fine.

That would be my prime suspect.

Try a safe boot by holding shift when booting and see if it happens there. A safe boot will not load any startup/login items and that will tell you if it a startup item like the Finder app you installed causing the issue.

tomf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks. I'll give that a go and let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.