Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
iPad mini was working until around 6 PM, where it just stopped connecting to wifi and internet just stopped.

Tried all methods that was discussed in the past post, including turning off the router off for 30 seconds and on again and then going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings, Forget this Network, hard reset, putting the iPad in airplane mode and out, resetting to Factory Default, etc.

The connection is not limited to just my home wifi network, but it would not connect to my local Starbucks, school wifi, or even my friend's house.

What would be the best course of action? The iPad mini is out of warranty, and it was purchased immedietley after it came out, and the nearest Apple store is 70 miles up north in Portland, OR. How much would the repair estimate be if the wifi chip needs to be replaced?

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
Before I started thinking about taking it for a repair, I would try a reboot (hold home button and power button until Apple appears

If that doesn't fix it

back it up to iTunes, reload a fresh IOS and if wifi is working restore from the back up.

----------

Just read OP again and see you had already tried reboot so go to my option 2

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Just read OP again and see you had already tried reboot so go to my option 2

Tried it, still giving me "Unable to Connect" error.

And this is not limited to my Airport Extreme router, I can't even connect to Starbucks, as it also gives me the unable to connect error.

Is my only option the trip to the Genius Bar? I heard Apple doesn't repair the iPad but swap them, and I cannot afford the potential $210 out of warranty swap fee. Can they just repair the wifi chip?

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Tried it, still giving me "Unable to Connect" error.

And this is not limited to my Airport Extreme router, I can't even connect to Starbucks, as it also gives me the unable to connect error.

Is my only option the trip to the Genius Bar? I heard Apple doesn't repair the iPad but swap them, and I cannot afford the potential $210 out of warranty swap fee. Can they just repair the wifi chip?

Not to my knowledge. It will have to be a replacement.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How much would the repair estimate be if the wifi chip needs to be replaced?

A bit. $200+. Well if you do it through proper channels. Because per Apple the whole unit must be replaced. You can't open them and change anything. No screws etc

Not that that stops shops from doing it. There are dozens of shops that will happily repair your display, speakers and yes possibly even wifi card if it's possible. However be sure they aren't charging you too much because if they screw it up you won't get service from Apple if they realize the iPad was opened.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Not to my knowledge. It will have to be a replacement.

Ugh. $200 is just way too expensive as a student who is also out of work for while now......

Is there any other way, or is biting the bullet and get the $200 the only way out?

(I should've gotten the AppleCare+ when I bought the device, but I never had bad luck with Apple products until now)

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Ugh. $200 is just way too expensive as a student who is also out of work for while now......

Is there any other way, or is biting the bullet and get the $200 the only way out?

(I should've gotten the AppleCare+ when I bought the device, but I never had bad luck with Apple products until now)

I would not give up yet.

Connect to iTunes backup your pad. Install a fresh IOS 7. At that point check to see if it is working . If it is then you can reload the apps or restore from the backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.