Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadLTD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Does anyone use or have any suggestions as to a better alternative for the iPhone 5 charger? I been through 3 already, they all seem to break near the lightening part. It sucks that I have to shell out $20.00 bucks for a new charger that seems to have been built poorly.

2m2zz1g.png

BadLTD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Don't get any other chargers not from apple, they can be unsafe.

Yeah, but I'm not trying to pay money for a new charger all the time. Makes no sense Apple is supposedly know for good built quality...

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Does anyone use or have any suggestions as to a better alternative for the iPhone 5 charger? I been through 3 already, they all seem to break near the lightening part. It sucks that I have to shell out $20.00 bucks for a new charger that seems to have been built poorly.

I've had 2 cables replaced at the Apple Store for free under 1 year warranty.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Lol bro nothing. I take care of all my things it just that the cable is very poorly made compared to the older chargers.
It may be more poorly made but something you're doing is contributing to their failure. I haven't had any of my Lightning cables fail. Try Griffin or one of the other certified alternative cable makers.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've still got the original lightning cables that came with my 5S and my IPad, and I have yet to break one, but there may be a trick. I try to avoid always coiling them the same way, and never too tightly. Seems to work for me as I haven't busted one yet. For sure, don't buy cheap knockoffs, they will not last either and can cause all kinds of issues. It might be worth taking it in to an Apple store and see if you can find a friendly genius....they might well flip you another one.

BadLTD

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
you can take it to the apple store and get a free replacement.

Really I always wondered that. For how long does that last? 30 Days?

I've still got the original lightning cables that came with my 5S and my IPad, and I have yet to break one, but there may be a trick. I try to avoid always coiling them the same way, and never too tightly. Seems to work for me as I haven't busted one yet. For sure, don't buy cheap knockoffs, they will not last either and can cause all kinds of issues. It might be worth taking it in to an Apple store and see if you can find a friendly genius....they might well flip you another one.

Yeah, I should of tried that. Instead I bought a brand new one. What I do now is tape the ends of the lightening cable so it doesn't mess up.

lacek

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Really I always wondered that. For how long does that last? 30 Days?

Yeah, I should of tried that. Instead I bought a brand new one. What I do now is tape the ends of the lightening cable so it doesn't mess up.

In my case the cables are typiclly fine for 1-2 years, but later they sort of "dissolve". That is the rubber part becomes sticky and very fragile. Actually it also becomes sort of longer - the rubber cover detaches from the cable as if it was enlarging allowing the metal core to move respectively to the rubber cover. The fraying is caused by the fact that the rubber cover becomes longer (by up to 4 inches) than the metal core of the cable, and "air bubbles" form, eventually bursting. After the cable frays, you may straighter the rubber cover of the cable but then you have to clip up to 4 inches to get the rubber covering to be the same length as the metal core it is supposed to hold.

It seems there is some sort of manufacturing defect or they used a wrong type of material.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I buy cheap charge-only cables. If it breaks, I get a new one. No obsessions here.

lacek

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
I buy cheap charge-only cables. If it breaks, I get a new one. No obsessions here.

This is perhaps the correct approach. One thing I would not spare money on is the power supply/charger. Cheap chargers do not hold to specs, for example are unable to deliver promised 5V / 2A for the iPad. In the optimistic case this may lead just to longer loading times. I am not against buying cheap replacement stuff, but this should be informed choice, based on actual testing.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I recommend ANker. I got them and the cable seems super sturdy. Or get a steal braided cable since, they should last for years.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden

2m2zz1g.png
Just replace the cable with a good and durable third party cable,and use the socket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.