PDA

View Full Version : Cooling the Cube

livingfortoday
Jan 3, 2006, 12:59 PM
Alrighty. After numerous, numerous problems with my Cube, I finally got a new processor card from Powerlogix, and it seems to be running ok. For now. I'm currently running the Cube out of the case, and have a fan blowing on the processor, and yet I'm idling at above 50 degrees C, and when folding I'm reaching over 60 degrees. When I tried to put the Cube back into the case, it quickly reached 73 degrees, so I shut it down and pulled it back out.

Now, I know some people here have upgraded Cubes, and have been particularly helpful in the past with all my Cube's shenanigans. Can any of you guys tell me how you manage to keep your Cube cool? I feel like I've tried everything but watercooling it, and nothing seems to work!

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks!

Mord
Jan 3, 2006, 01:05 PM
thats a pretty typical temp, if your really paranoid you could get a more powerfull fan, any 15mm fan will do, the PL fan does 20CFM at ~21 db.

livingfortoday
Jan 3, 2006, 01:12 PM
thats a pretty typical temp, if your really paranoid you could get a more powerfull fan, any 15mm fan will do, the PL fan does 20CFM at ~21 db.

The 73 degrees? Cause I'm really worried to keep it in the case with that much heat. I've put in a larger (and noisier) fan than the original Powerlogix one, but that's what's getting me the 73 degrees. The regular one had me above that, which was just nuts.

Morn
Jan 4, 2006, 05:13 AM
Hey, that temp is not so unusual in todays CPU's. Intel Pentium 4's and the G5 will reach 70C easily.

steelfist
Jan 4, 2006, 07:58 AM
well, one way to reduce the heat is to lower the processer usage, by setting the processer speed to reduced in the system settings: power settings.

livingfortoday
Jan 4, 2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah, it's true about the high temperatures becoming the norm, I'm just worried that the heat might affect other components as well, because while in a regular PC case things are more spaced out, in the Cube the hard drive is touching the same big heatsink the processor is, and the vid card is an inch away.

And I've thought about running it at lower speeds, and have turned on the dynamic power thingie, that makes the CPU run at half speed when not under load, and I've gotten it down in the 40's out of the case. I suppose it'll be in the 60's in the case, but that's acceptable, I guess. I'm just worried about 70+ temps.

But I guess this is something I'll have to live with! Thanks for all your help!

cubist
Jan 4, 2006, 09:44 AM
70C?! I think you should try to keep it below 40C. I recall when I had my Powerlogix 1GHz it hung around 36C. (Of course it depends on where you're measuring it) On any Cube, a case fan is a MUST. Running the cube outside the case is not a great idea as it will not get much *forced* air.

IJ Reilly
Jan 4, 2006, 10:41 AM
Did you install the base fan???

aquajet
Jan 4, 2006, 10:58 AM
According to Freescale's published specifications for the 7447 and 7457 (your powerlogix dual uses one of these), maximum allowable junction temperature is 105 degrees C. I can't imagine there's anything to worry about.

Macmadant
Jan 4, 2006, 12:15 PM
how do you find out what the temp. is in your mac ?:confused:

IJ Reilly
Jan 4, 2006, 12:48 PM
how do you find out what the temp. is in your mac ?:confused:

Any number of freeware/shareware applications can read the temperature reported by the internal CPU sensor.

livingfortoday
Jan 4, 2006, 03:28 PM
Yeah, i have installed the base fan. When it's out of the case, I actually have the fan on the top, with the top power button frame thingie removed, so the fan is blowing right on the cpu. Still hittin' the 50's under strain.

And Powerlogix has their CPU Director software available for free download, and it allows you to mess with processor settings as well as tracks CPU temperature.

Sark
Jan 4, 2006, 11:46 PM
Hey, that temp is not so unusual in todays CPU's. Intel Pentium 4's and the G5 will reach 70C easily.

Not AMD processors. I have an Athlon 64 3000+ machine which runs around 30C.

IJ Reilly
Jan 4, 2006, 11:53 PM
Yeah, i have installed the base fan. When it's out of the case, I actually have the fan on the top, with the top power button frame thingie removed, so the fan is blowing right on the cpu. Still hittin' the 50's under strain.

Don't sweat it... literally! Put the core back in the case and run it. You'll probably get better cooling that way, because that's how the Cube was designed to run. Just make sure the fan is installed right side up!

hob
Jan 5, 2006, 12:03 AM
Just thought I'd point out my dual-2GHz G5 is idling at 55C right now, and often easily reaches 65C.

But I understand your concern about the closeness of it all...

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 01:30 AM
Don't sweat it... literally! Put the core back in the case and run it. You'll probably get better cooling that way, because that's how the Cube was designed to run. Just make sure the fan is installed right side up!

Ok ok. I'll do it. After all these months and problems, I finally got the damn thing to work right again, so I'm just incredibly paranoid about hurting it. But damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Time to shove all of this junk back into the case!

Thanks for all your help!

blackscooby
Jan 5, 2006, 02:09 AM
Not AMD processors. I have an Athlon 64 3000+ machine which runs around 30C.

Really ? My 64 3500+ idles at 52C and doesn't really start spinning the fans hard until it reaches 60C.

IJ Reilly
Jan 5, 2006, 10:39 AM
Ok ok. I'll do it. After all these months and problems, I finally got the damn thing to work right again, so I'm just incredibly paranoid about hurting it. But damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Time to shove all of this junk back into the case!

Thanks for all your help!

Good luck -- you'll need it.

I mean, have fun! ;)

Sark
Jan 5, 2006, 10:40 AM
Really ? My 64 3500+ idles at 52C and doesn't really start spinning the fans hard until it reaches 60C.

I said about 30, it's more like 35 to 40 (double checked after I posted). Athlon 64 3000+ Venice core is what I'm using:)

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 12:51 PM
Just a quick update.

I ended up taking out the DVD-ROM drive, because it was acting erratically, and I have a network DVD-RW drive anyways. So it was kind of unnecessary. I moved the hard drive over to where the DVD drive had been, and put in an 80mm Thermaltake fan blowing directly on the heatsink where the hard drive had been. This is in addition to the fan at the base of the Cube.

The Cube is hitting the high 50's out of the case now that the fan isn't blowing directly on the processor. I'm gonna try and stuff this all back into the case and see how it runs.

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 01:14 PM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b236/livingfortoday2/replaced.jpg

IJ Reilly
Jan 5, 2006, 01:17 PM
Once you venture into freelance modification land, you're on your own. As they say in aviation, you've become a test pilot!

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
Well, let's hope it doesn't crash and burn!

So far it's running pretty smoothly. I can see the temperature slooowly rising, but nothing too dangerous yet. The only downside to all of this is that it's much louder than before. Not as loud as a G5 or a G4 tower yet, but it's still irritating to have a silent computer get noisy.

Oh well, at least it runs ok! Thanks for all your help, I'm sure there'll be more Cube-related shenanigans in the (near) future, and I'll post them up here!

Edit: Seems to have flat-lined around 50 - 52 degrees. Really not bad, it's actually cooler than out of the case. i wonder if the case helps focus the air directly on the processor, instead of it dissipating.

howesey
Jan 5, 2006, 06:39 PM
Processors do not like going over 50C, anything above 60C and then you have to start to worrie.

My iMac idles at 45C and maxes at 55C under full load, I'm worried for when summer comes. I know if I cover the fans for a few minutes and let it get over 65C OS X crashes.

hob
Jan 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
Processors do not like going over 50C, anything above 60C and then you have to start to worrie.

My iMac idles at 45C and maxes at 55C under full load, I'm worried for when summer comes. I know if I cover the fans for a few minutes and let it get over 65C OS X crashes.
Really?! My mac has never crashed due to heat and it's gotten up to at least 69C.

My old homebrew PC used to sound an alarm at 75C, and that was only during the summer. But it would never actually crash. I'd just switch off for a bit to avoid damaging anything.

skunk
Jan 5, 2006, 07:02 PM
Any number of freeware/shareware applications can read the temperature reported by the internal CPU sensor.On mine, it says there are no readable sensors. Some processor upgrades have them disabled.

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 07:06 PM

I think it really depends on the processor, though. On my old Athon XP computer, I would usually be in the 50's, and it was fine, but during gaming I'd hit the 60's and it would freeze up. The Cube seems to be handling a constant temperature in the 60's rather well, with no crashes or kernel panics. I don't know if there will be damage to the system long-term, though, so...

skunk
Jan 5, 2006, 07:09 PM
I think it really depends on the processor, though. On my old Athon XP computer, I would usually be in the 50's, and it was fine, but during gaming I'd hit the 60's and it would freeze up. The Cube seems to be handling a constant temperature in the 60's rather well, with no crashes or kernel panics. I don't know if there will be damage to the system long-term, though, so...All I know is that mine runs very cool: I have a very silent base fan with a temperature probe nestling on the CPU heatsink, and I removed the Radeon fan to fit a Zalman heatsink. The heatsink is still in its box, one year later...

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 07:17 PM
All I know is that mine runs very cool: I have a very silent base fan with a temperature probe nestling on the CPU heatsink, and I removed the Radeon fan to fit a Zalman heatsink. The heatsink is still in its box, one year later...

Under load, what does it run at? Mine idles in the low 50's, but when folding for a few hours it's in the mid 60's. Of course, my apartment is overly hot, too. I just opened a window, and in an hour, from 65 it went down to 60, still folding.

IJ Reilly
Jan 5, 2006, 07:25 PM
Under load, what does it run at? Mine idles in the low 50's, but when folding for a few hours it's in the mid 60's. Of course, my apartment is overly hot, too. I just opened a window, and in an hour, from 65 it went down to 60, still folding.

You're in Chicago in January and you need to open the window to cool your apartment down?

skunk
Jan 5, 2006, 07:27 PM
I can only get the HD temperature: 42C at 99% CPU load, though I have no idea what use that is...:confused:

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 07:28 PM
You're in Chicago in January and you need to open the window to cool your apartment down?

Yeah, my apartment doesn't have central heating, but big ol' radiators instead. In a studio. So... I have them turned off, but the apartment must just absorb heat from everyone else or something, because it's always hot in here. I have the ceiling fan on and a window open. Dashboard says it's 34 degrees outside. It's crazy.

livingfortoday
Jan 5, 2006, 07:29 PM
I can only get the HD temperature: 42C at 99% CPU load, though I have no idea what use that is...:confused:

My HD is running at 43C right now, but it's been moved inside the case, so it might actually be cooler now that it's not next to that huge processor heatsink.

Edit: I had to remove the "Yeah, " from the start of this post. Damn, do I start everything I write with that?

livingfortoday
Jan 6, 2006, 03:30 PM
Ok, I'd just like to add that I figured out if I set my processor performance to "low" or whatever the option in Energy Saver is, I can shave 20 degrees off of the computer temperature without much loss in performance.

I was encoding a DVD to burn, and it took about 5 hours with full performance on, and the temp averaged 77C. When I cut the processor speed (both run at 750Mhz now) it took about 7 hours and the temperature never went above 58C!

.mp3
Apr 16, 2006, 04:47 AM
Intresting topic, I'm also a Cube-Owner as probably already know livingfortoday. The heat haven't been a big problem for me yet. Especially now when my GeForce 2MX died, so I'm stuck with my old ATI RagePro now. I'm looking for a new card for the moment.

Since I don't have a new CPU I can't messure the temperature of my CPU. But I tried an old app called Gauge Pro in Mac OS 9 today. And the app said the my CPU temperature was around 26-30C. I don't know if I can trust those numbers, but it has to be running cool. I'm using a Zalman OP1 [80x80x15] Base-Fan. But I will replace that one with a Everflow [80x80x25] this week. The Everflow fan should be more noiseless, the Zalman is to noisy for me. I hope this little reply can keep this thread alive. I want more Cube facts/problems/pics!

livingfortoday
Apr 16, 2006, 08:57 AM
Intresting topic, I'm also a Cube-Owner as probably already know livingfortoday. The heat haven't been a big problem for me yet. Especially now when my GeForce 2MX died, so I'm stuck with my old ATI RagePro now. I'm looking for a new card for the moment.

Since I don't have a new CPU I can't messure the temperature of my CPU. But I tried an old app called Gauge Pro in Mac OS 9 today. And the app said the my CPU temperature was around 26-30C. I don't know if I can trust those numbers, but it has to be running cool. I'm using a Zalman OP1 [80x80x15] Base-Fan. But I will replace that one with a Everflow [80x80x25] this week. The Everflow fan should be more noiseless, the Zalman is to noisy for me. I hope this little reply can keep this thread alive. I want more Cube facts/problems/pics!

If those numbers are accurate, you've got quite a cool Cube, there! My Cube motherboard recently died, so it's being sadly relegated to the closet until I can get the funds to fix it up again, so don't expect much more from me on this subject, I'm afraid. But congratulations on your Cube, they're great (when they work)!

Mord
Apr 16, 2006, 09:00 AM
www.cubeowner.com

if your cube is stock i wouldent bother with a fan at all.

CoMpX
Apr 16, 2006, 09:09 AM
Ok, I'd just like to add that I figured out if I set my processor performance to "low" or whatever the option in Energy Saver is, I can shave 20 degrees off of the computer temperature without much loss in performance.

I was encoding a DVD to burn, and it took about 5 hours with full performance on, and the temp averaged 77C. When I cut the processor speed (both run at 750Mhz now) it took about 7 hours and the temperature never went above 58C!

That's good, but it's unnecessary to do that. I have read this entire thread, and your Cube had fine temperatures when you said it was around 65C when folding. Put the processor back on the normal setting, it will be fine and you will have full speed. That is why you bought the upgrade isn't it?

FireArse
Apr 16, 2006, 09:53 AM
According to Freescale's published specifications for the 7447 and 7457 (your powerlogix dual uses one of these), maximum allowable junction temperature is 105 degrees C. I can't imagine there's anything to worry about.

Hey - thats all good and fair - but where do you think the temperature monitor takes its measurements from? I doubt VERY much it'll be a junction point.

I'm a reliability Engineer, worked for 3Com for over a year - there's a difference between junction and case temperature (sticking a thermocouple between the chip and the heatsink).

Basically to be safe from this ABSOLUTE value, take 15C off for a case temperature. It all depends on where the temperature is being measured from. 105C is standard for IC's - 3Com would question anything over 80C to be honest. I've seen my G5 in the 70C range before - I wouldn't worry!

Hope it all works out ok!!

:)

FireArse

livingfortoday
Apr 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
To everyone - thanks for reviving this old thread, and I'm sure a lot of people have relevant questions for their Cubes, and they should feel free to post here. However, my Cube is now dead and in a closet :( so ya know.

CoMpX
Apr 16, 2006, 10:15 AM
You looking to get rid of it? What's wrong with it?

livingfortoday
Apr 16, 2006, 10:27 AM
You looking to get rid of it? What's wrong with it?

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard. I sold off the CPU upgrade but I plan on holding on to the Cube because if I can ever find a cheap motherboard I will turn it into a home server/folding machine.

Mord
Apr 16, 2006, 10:30 AM
the temp reading is the junction temp but it's very very very unreliable (this is on G4's not G4+'s (aka 7400 7410)

.mp3
Apr 16, 2006, 11:09 AM
If those numbers are accurate, you've got quite a cool Cube, there! My Cube motherboard recently died, so it's being sadly relegated to the closet until I can get the funds to fix it up again, so don't expect much more from me on this subject, I'm afraid. But congratulations on your Cube, they're great (when they work)!
Your Cube should rest in peace, if you don't get a new motherboard ofcourse. I'm also thinking of removing the CD-ROM and place my hdd there instead. Because I have an external cd-burner [FW] that works as a CD-ROM reader as well. But how did you mount your hdd, did you use the Spirica kit our did you mount it yourself? Pics Pics Pics! [plz]

www.cubeowner.com

if your cube is stock i wouldent bother with a fan at all.
Well my Cube is stock for moment. Because my GF2MX died last week, but as I said before I'm getting a new Card as soon as I find a good one. And yes I'm already a member at CubeOwner ;)

Mord
Apr 16, 2006, 11:13 AM
fans dont effect the gpu at all, i'd get a flashed 6200 from ebay, they are about 100 bucks but worth every cent.

livingfortoday
Apr 16, 2006, 11:28 AM
Pics Pics Pics! [plz]

Well, the only pic I can seem to find is this one:

And it's of the Cube running open. The orange thing in the HD bay is a second 80mm fan. The hard drive I mounted on just one side using the optical drive bay holes, and the cables that were all smooshed in there cushioned its other side. Not exactly the most professional install I admit.

.mp3
Apr 16, 2006, 11:49 AM
fans dont effect the gpu at all, i'd get a flashed 6200 from ebay, they are about 100 bucks but worth every cent.
The problem is that I live in Sweden and most of the people don't ship to Sweden. And if they do the shipping-cost and taxes are way to much. And the second problem is that I need a Card with a ADC contact so I can use my Apple Studio Display.

Well, the only pic I can seem to find is this one:

And it's of the Cube running open. The orange thing in the HD bay is a second 80mm fan. The hard drive I mounted on just one side using the optical drive bay holes, and the cables that were all smooshed in there cushioned its other side. Not exactly the most professional install I admit.
Okay I get the picture, thanks. Is the orange fan a Nexus fan?

livingfortoday
Apr 16, 2006, 11:52 AM
No, it's a Thermaltake fan. It was supposed to be one with a little fan-speed adjuster, but I broke that off on accident, so it always ran on high.

.mp3
Apr 16, 2006, 12:05 PM
Okay, I will go for the Everflow fan as I said before :D

IJ Reilly
Apr 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
The problem is that I live in Sweden and most of the people don't ship to Sweden. And if they do the shipping-cost and taxes are way to much. And the second problem is that I need a Card with a ADC contact so I can use my Apple Studio Display.

For an ACD card, I can recommend a Radeon 7500 to replace your dead 2MX. I installed one in my Cube nearly a year ago. No fan on the card, but no problems. I found it as new-old stock on eBay for around $40.

.mp3
Apr 16, 2006, 12:22 PM
Yes I found a ATI 7500 here in Sweden, I will buy it as fast as possible.

IJ Reilly
Apr 16, 2006, 12:30 PM
Yes I found a ATI 7500 here in Sweden, I will buy it as fast as possible.

Mac edition? If so, go for it!

You will have to modify the end bracket if you're worried about fastening the card down firmly. I left it as-is, with no problems.

.mp3
Apr 16, 2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah it's a mac-edition. I just waiting for a reply from the seller. I will definitly buy it!

thegreatluke
Apr 16, 2006, 04:23 PM
This is off topic, but why does everyone say G5 towers are loud?

Every G5 tower I've seen (which has only been Apple stores, unfortunately) has been so quiet you have to put your ears up against it to hear any fans, and then it's a very quiet sound.

Maybe I'm going deaf...