PDA

View Full Version : Interested in an iBook

allisonv7
Jan 3, 2006, 01:08 PM
Hey guys....

I'm interested in purchasing a used ibook. I'm thinking I'll probably end up spending about $500-$600. I probably want a 12", though I may do a 14" if the price is right. Also, airport is necessary. I'd mainly be using it for internet/email/im/itunes/dvd watching. Nothing to intensive, I'm not really into games either.

Basically I'm wondering what should I be able to get for this price and where is the best place to purchase?

I'm obviously looking at the marketplace here as well as a couple stores like techrestore.com and macofalltrades.com (are there other refurb sellers like this?) I've also looked on ebay a bit and am currently corresponding with someone on Craigslist about a machine. I don't really want to do ebay or CL though because I don't want to be stuck with a lemon.

In the reading I've done it seems like g3 ibooks have a lot of problems....should I only purchase a g4? I don't know what kindof g4 I could get for the money I'm willing to spend.

Also, if new ibooks are released at MWSF how should this affect the price?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make the right decision :)

I'm really in no rush to purchase as this would just be a backup machine for traveling and taking places, while the imac would be my primary machine still.

DerekW69
Jan 3, 2006, 02:16 PM
Hi,

I would stay away from the G3 because of all the logic board issues. I had several of those machines and never had a problem, but I know many who did. If you could get a machine that had gone through the replacement program, you'd probably be okay.

At the price point you mention, I would hold out for a G4 800 at least. Those pop up fairly frequently on the marketplace here, and on a couple of other Mac forums. That's probably your best deal. Online stores would give you some warranty, but the markup is a bit steep. I've bought (and sold) many Macs on eBay, and have only had one issue in six years. You just have to be very careful there — I wouldn't write it off completely.

GimmeSlack12
Jan 3, 2006, 02:20 PM
I say wait for after the MWSF in January and you should be able to get a recent iBook G4, used, for nearly $700 (12"). I got my 12" G4 iBook for abou $1,080 out the door. And that was when they were released in August.

virus1
Jan 3, 2006, 07:40 PM
Also, if new ibooks are released at MWSF how should this affect the price?
umm.. lets see.. lower it maybe?

did i not understand the question or something?

California
Jan 3, 2006, 07:59 PM
Hey guys....

I'm interested in purchasing a used ibook. I'm thinking I'll probably end up spending about $500-$600. I probably want a 12", though I may do a 14" if the price is right. Also, airport is necessary. I'd mainly be using it for internet/email/im/itunes/dvd watching. Nothing to intensive, I'm not really into games either.

Basically I'm wondering what should I be able to get for this price and where is the best place to purchase?

I'm obviously looking at the marketplace here as well as a couple stores like techrestore.com and macofalltrades.com (are there other refurb sellers like this?) I've also looked on ebay a bit and am currently corresponding with someone on Craigslist about a machine. I don't really want to do ebay or CL though because I don't want to be stuck with a lemon.

If I were in your shoes and I wanted an 12" ibook as backup (funny I have a new powerbook 12" as back up!) -- I'd wait for the intels and then buy a 1.33ghz ibook 12" refurbed. THEY ARE GREAT MACHINES and they will come with a full warranty.

reallybigafro
Jan 3, 2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah i would agree with the post above me. I am an owner of a 12" ibook, 1.33 GHz and i love the thing. I also got mine in August, right before school, and it's my first mac. It does everything i need it to do and if you are in the need of a simple back up computer, i'm sure that the ibook will meet your needs.

I had a little trouble deciding between the 14" and the 12" but i went with the 12" because of portability, i am a college student, and the loss of 2" really hasn't hurt me in any way.

Good luck in which ever one you decide on purchasing, and be sure to let us know what you love about it!!

Good luck.

allisonv7
Jan 4, 2006, 12:10 AM
If I were in your shoes and I wanted an 12" ibook as backup (funny I have a new powerbook 12" as back up!) -- I'd wait for the intels and then buy a 1.33ghz ibook 12" refurbed. THEY ARE GREAT MACHINES and they will come with a full warranty.

I assume you mean from the online apple store - about how much do you think it'll cost?

allison.

California
Jan 4, 2006, 01:59 AM
I assume you mean from the online apple store - about how much do you think it'll cost?

allison.

They are 799 now. Maybe a drop in price on the online store in a few weeks? But 799 is a great price and if you are out of state, no tax I don't think and free shipping.

buryyourbrideau
Jan 4, 2006, 02:02 AM
They are 799 now. Maybe a drop in price on the online store in a few weeks? But 799 is a great price and if you are out of state, no tax I don't think and free shipping.
If there is an Apple store in any part of the entire state you live in, they will charge you the percent of tax from your area

jblock
Jan 4, 2006, 08:27 AM
The refurbs may drop another $100, but I doubt much more.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 4, 2006, 08:46 AM
Also, if new ibooks are released at MWSF how should this affect the price?There were some rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/11/20051117022422.shtml) that new iBooks might drop in price, maybe as much as $200. That should play havoc with used and refurb prices.

Even if it's not true I would sit tight for another 6 days without making any purchase decisions. The Stevenote Tuesday will affect the market.

Of course there's a "no new iBook or PowerBooks" announcement at MacWorld, then used prices might actually go up, but 9 out of 10 clairvoyants agree that new iBooks are coming... ;)