Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Do most of you guys with avitars make your own or do you just find them?
Those of you who make your own how would i go about this? I only have GIMP no Photoshop here......I am finally getting close! I will have to start looking for one......:D

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
A friend of mine found mine on a site. I couldn't resist, I had to use it. I added the hat for christmas, but you can probably tell that. :p How long can I keep the hat on before it gets too tacky?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
grapes911 said:
A friend of mine found mine on a site. I couldn't resist, I had to use it. I added the hat for christmas, but you can probably tell that. :p How long can I keep the hat on before it gets too tacky?
Depends what part of the country you live in.:p

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
grapes911 said:
If you change it to blue then it isn't a Santa hat anymore, just a winter one. You could keep that on until Spring. :eek:

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Originally Posted by grapes911
A friend of mine found mine on a site. I couldn't resist, I had to use it. I added the hat for christmas, but you can probably tell that. How long can I keep the hat on before it gets too tacky?
MacNut said:
Depends what part of the country you live in.:p
Yup. Red-necked women leave their Christmas lights on all year long, as do some greasy spoon diners and some shops on Latin America. The hat won't bother me, none. :)

The GIMP can do it

trainguy77 said:
Do most of you guys with avitars make your own or do you just find them?
Those of you who make your own how would i go about this? I only have GIMP no Photoshop here......I am finally getting close! I will have to start looking for one......:D

You can use GIMP to make Animated 'tars. In fact I just made my wife one for a different site.

I would post it here, but it's a quite disturbing animation of Alice Cooper during the Billion Dollar Babies Tour. :cool:

Just go to Gimp tutorials and check out the simple animation instructions.

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
grapes911 said:
Don't know. I got rid of mine on boxing day. But then again, I had by then had it on since right after the first Sunday of Advent... ;)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I will have to start making one I guess! I have been going through the tutorials on GIMP and I never knew you could do so much with GIMP!:eek: And you probable say.....thats nothing compared to photoshop....and I bet you would be right:p

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I make my own, although I've been with my current one for quite awhile now. Recently I've started to modify the "pings" to reflect current circumstances, such as when I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago.

The challenge is to be creative without going overboard on something that's too distracting. With animated ones, you also have to be careful not to "overanimate" or make them go too fast - it can get annoying. I think mine's okay on that front.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I plan on making mine. Will look into GIMP and see if I can be bothered making an animated one. If not Ill just do one in photoshop, or steal someones pic.

Is it an offence to take someones avatar from the same forum?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
pknz said:

You're not touching mine!

It's not an offence but it'll cause a lot of confusion. FWIW, one of our fine moderators borrowed my 'tar during one of their frivolous games and it really threw me. Once you've had a 'tar for a while, you start to navigate by it. It's highly confusing to see posts you don't recognise beside your own private beacon. Nevertheless, it was fun for a few hours. :D

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
pknz said:
I'd say so. People have given out there 'tars for specific people to use. And there was a glitch when a bunch of Demi's kept getting other Demi's 'tars :)p), but it would be very rude to take someone else's 'tar. Even if they don't use it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.