PDA

View Full Version : avitar, do you guys make your own?

trainguy77
Jan 3, 2006, 02:08 PM
Do most of you guys with avitars make your own or do you just find them?
Those of you who make your own how would i go about this? I only have GIMP no Photoshop here......I am finally getting close! I will have to start looking for one......:D

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 3, 2006, 02:15 PM
Some make their own, some get other to make them. See the entries of the recent contest (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=170412) or The Official™ Avatar Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=165245) for more details. ;)

grapes911
Jan 3, 2006, 02:18 PM
A friend of mine found mine on a site. I couldn't resist, I had to use it. I added the hat for christmas, but you can probably tell that. :p How long can I keep the hat on before it gets too tacky?

MacNut
Jan 3, 2006, 02:24 PM
A friend of mine found mine on a site. I couldn't resist, I had to use it. I added the hat for christmas, but you can probably tell that. :p How long can I keep the hat on before it gets too tacky?Depends what part of the country you live in.:p

kgarner
Jan 3, 2006, 02:25 PM
A friend of mine found mine on a site. I couldn't resist, I had to use it. I added the hat for christmas, but you can probably tell that. :p How long can I keep the hat on before it gets too tacky?
If you change it to blue then it isn't a Santa hat anymore, just a winter one. You could keep that on until Spring. :eek:

grapes911
Jan 3, 2006, 02:26 PM
Depends what part of the country you live in.:p

If you change it to blue then it isn't a Santa hat anymore, just a winter one. You could keep that on until Spring. :eek:

I'm glad I mentioned it. I would have never thought of these wonderful ideas. :p

xsedrinam
Jan 3, 2006, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by grapes911
A friend of mine found mine on a site. I couldn't resist, I had to use it. I added the hat for christmas, but you can probably tell that. How long can I keep the hat on before it gets too tacky?
Depends what part of the country you live in.:p
Yup. Red-necked women leave their Christmas lights on all year long, as do some greasy spoon diners and some shops on Latin America. The hat won't bother me, none. :)

edesignuk
Jan 3, 2006, 02:36 PM
There's also the ill-fated animated avatar library (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=116290&highlight=avatar) you can pinch them from.

doumbek
Jan 3, 2006, 02:45 PM
Do most of you guys with avitars make your own or do you just find them?
Those of you who make your own how would i go about this? I only have GIMP no Photoshop here......I am finally getting close! I will have to start looking for one......:D

You can use GIMP to make Animated 'tars. In fact I just made my wife one for a different site.

I would post it here, but it's a quite disturbing animation of Alice Cooper during the Billion Dollar Babies Tour. :cool:

Just go to Gimp tutorials and check out the simple animation instructions.

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

jayscheuerle
Jan 3, 2006, 02:55 PM
I grabbed mine from:

lookatthisdork.com

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 3, 2006, 03:47 PM
A friend of mine found mine on a site. I couldn't resist, I had to use it. I added the hat for christmas, but you can probably tell that. :p How long can I keep the hat on before it gets too tacky?Don't know. I got rid of mine on boxing day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_day). But then again, I had by then had it on since right after the first Sunday of Advent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent)... ;)

trainguy77
Jan 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
I will have to start making one I guess! I have been going through the tutorials on GIMP and I never knew you could do so much with GIMP!:eek: And you probable say.....thats nothing compared to photoshop....and I bet you would be right:p

emw
Jan 3, 2006, 03:55 PM
I make my own, although I've been with my current one for quite awhile now. Recently I've started to modify the "pings" to reflect current circumstances, such as when I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago.

The challenge is to be creative without going overboard on something that's too distracting. With animated ones, you also have to be careful not to "overanimate" or make them go too fast - it can get annoying. I think mine's okay on that front.

Lacero
Jan 3, 2006, 04:02 PM
This is the best avatar thread ever. AVATARS. Did you make your own avatar?

Some best of.. threads. Coolest avatar used by Mac Rumors members?, Who has the best avatar? (time for an updated thread, IMO) and Whose Avatar do you stop for?

See complete list (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=2595965&pp=150).

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

Plymouthbreezer
Jan 3, 2006, 04:17 PM
I try and make my own... Sometimes you come across a good one though.

Jaffa Cake
Jan 3, 2006, 04:24 PM
Do most of you guys with avitars make your own or do you just find them?Mine's a bit of both – an image I found on t'internet I liked the look of and cropped down to the required size in Photoshop.

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 05:12 PM
I managed to take a screenshot in Windows. I was so proud, I have kept the 'tar ever since. :)

grapes911
Jan 3, 2006, 05:14 PM
I managed to take a screenshot in Windows. I was so proud, I have kept the 'tar ever since. :)
Don't you just have to press the "print screen" key, then copy is somewhere? :confused:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
Don't you just have to press the "print screen" key, then copy is somewhere? :confused:Yes, but Windows have to actually be running until you can paste it somewhere... and that's a challange... :p :D

grapes911
Jan 3, 2006, 05:18 PM
Yes, but Windows have to actually be running until you can paste it somewhere... and that's a challange... :p :D
Ahhh . . . Then in that case, kudos to mad jew. :p

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah, thanks. I'm quite proud of that moment. :D

maya
Jan 3, 2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah, thanks. I'm quite proud of that moment. :D

Until a few seconds later, his PC has the blue screen of death. ;) :D

pknz
Jan 3, 2006, 05:40 PM
I plan on making mine. Will look into GIMP and see if I can be bothered making an animated one. If not Ill just do one in photoshop, or steal someones pic.

Is it an offence to take someones avatar from the same forum?

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 05:42 PM

You're not touching mine!

It's not an offence but it'll cause a lot of confusion. FWIW, one of our fine moderators borrowed my 'tar during one of their frivolous games and it really threw me. Once you've had a 'tar for a while, you start to navigate by it. It's highly confusing to see posts you don't recognise beside your own private beacon. Nevertheless, it was fun for a few hours. :D

grapes911
Jan 3, 2006, 05:43 PM
I'd say so. People have given out there 'tars for specific people to use. And there was a glitch when a bunch of Demi's kept getting other Demi's 'tars (:p), but it would be very rude to take someone else's 'tar. Even if they don't use it anymore.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 3, 2006, 05:46 PM
I'd say so. People have given out there 'tars for specific people to use. And there was a glitch when a bunch of Demi's kept getting other Demi's 'tars (:p), but it would be very rude to take someone else's 'tar. Even if they don't use it anymore.

I'd say -ask for permission from the original owner- before you do that.

I've made almost all of mine (although some of them, just a few have been images from things I really liked).

D

kwajaln
Jan 3, 2006, 06:01 PM
Yes, but Windows have to actually be running until you can paste it somewhere... and that's a challange... :p :D
THAT was hilarious!!!

Sparky's
Jan 3, 2006, 06:07 PM
I made mine from my "Sparky's Marinade" Logo. I animated it myself in photoshop. I've used other "stills" I'm fond of but always seem to come back to my own product.

PS if you need help let me know, I've been a graphics professional for over 35 years. ;)

iDM
Jan 3, 2006, 06:32 PM
I am a graphics art major and web designer hence the fact my 'tar is so crisp and well designed.

Actually I used AppleWorks and cropped the hell out of an image of the 5th Gen iPod(Since I bought one the day I reached 500 posts) and then just pasted one of my favorite albums on the screen.

I've been meaning to attempt to animate it with something cool but I get intimated by some of the cool ones out there. *cough*Mr. Anderson *cough*

trainguy77
Jan 3, 2006, 08:43 PM
Once you've had a 'tar for a while, you start to navigate by it.

I use people's 'tar all time to navigate, I get used what peoples 'tars are and stop reading there names!:eek:

mad jew
Jan 3, 2006, 08:45 PM
I use people's 'tar all time to navigate, I get used what peoples 'tars are and stop reading there names!:eek:

I'd normally reply, but you wouldn't know. :D

D'oh!

2nyRiggz
Jan 3, 2006, 09:17 PM
yup that was a confusing time when the demies did the ole' switch:confused:
i just look at the tars

Bless

amemoryoncelost
Jan 4, 2006, 12:03 AM
If I find a really funny one, I'll save it on my computer, but I usually try and make my own, which has not gone well on this site, lol

pknz
Jan 4, 2006, 12:23 AM
Yea, I don't usually read names, just check the tars and go from there. Except when you cunning folks (edesign I'm looking at you in particular) make a significant change.

mad jew
Jan 4, 2006, 12:25 AM
Talking of 'tars, welcome to the club pknz. Nice one. :)

cgratti
Jan 4, 2006, 07:04 AM
Made my own... see!

He He

They need to lower the post count so I can get an Avatar....... Grrrrrrr.....

Littleodie914
Jan 4, 2006, 07:27 AM
Wish I could say I made mine... It's actually a cropped section of The Postal Service's "Be Still My Heart" album cover. Great song, by the way! :D

rosalindavenue
Jan 4, 2006, 08:05 AM
I made my own gif on an online gif-making site. (Warning: tons of annoying ads); but it works fine. In fact, the site is so annoying that I wont even link to it; just google "gif maker." Find a picture you like on the net (I like book covers) and make your avatar there.

DavidLeblond
Jan 4, 2006, 08:15 AM
GIMP + Wingdings = hours of fun!:eek:

7on
Jan 5, 2006, 11:37 AM
If I made mine I'd be changing it every week or so.

I half made mine - I actually did take the screen capture from the Gamecube myself.