Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has launched its iTunes Radio streaming music product in Australia, the first non-U.S. country to get the service after it was launched alongside iOS 7 in September. It was reported in October that Apple was looking to launch iTunes Radio in the U.K., Canada, Australia, and New Zealand in early 2014.

itunes-radio.jpg
Apple today announced iTunes Radio(TM) is now available to music fans in Australia. iTunes Radio is a free Internet radio service featuring over 100 stations and an incredible catalog of music from the iTunes Store, combined with features only iTunes can deliver. When you tune into iTunes Radio on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC or Apple TV, you'll have access to stations inspired by the music you already listen to, Featured Stations curated by Apple and genre-focused stations that are personalized just for you. iTunes Radio evolves based on the music you play and download. The more you use iTunes Radio and iTunes, the more it knows what you like to listen to and the more personalized your experience becomes. iTunes Radio also gives you access to exclusive "First Play" premieres from top selling artists, plus the ability to tag or buy anything you hear with just one click.
Apple's Eddy Cue has said that launching iTunes Radio worldwide is a top priority for the company, with Apple ultimately aiming to have the service "in more than 100 countries."

iTunes Radio is ad-supported but iTunes Match subscribers (AU$34.99/year) get to use the service ad-free. The service is available on all iOS 7 products in the Music app.

Article Link: Apple's iTunes Radio Streaming Music Service Launches in Australia

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Com'on CRTC get with the approvals, step in the 21st century!

(actually I have no idea why the delays in Canada, but I'm assuming it's them)

chrisk1250

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Clicking "Add to Wish List" doesn't actually add a song to the Wish List, right? I can't tell if mine is just broken or the button was never implemented because literally nothing happens or gets added.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
For us members who haven't used it, will this make me dump my premium Spotify account at £9.99 a month, instead for an annual iTunes match subscription?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
For us members who haven't used it, will this make me dump my premium Spotify account at £9.99 a month, instead for an annual iTunes match subscription?

Not if you want to listen to whatever song you want on demand. iTunes radio is like Pandora, not Spotify. I use it now and then for discovery but I would never replace Spotify with it.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Not if you want to listen to whatever song you want on demand. iTunes radio is like Pandora, not Spotify. I use it now and then for discovery but I would never replace Spotify with it.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. That is one of the reasons I like Spotify as I can listen to whatever I fancy.

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
unfortunately it's DoA

Spotify and YouTube already won the streaming war

too little too late guys…

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
unfortunately it's DoA

Spotify and YouTube already won the streaming war

too little too late guys…

Not exactly. I've got a subscription to Deezer, which is basically like Spotify but with a different name, and the feature I use most is "Hear This", which basically recommends playlists of genre's based on what you listen to, kind of like Genius.

I've got so much music that it's easier to hit shuffle and see what plays.

Here's to hoping the UK launch is coming this week!

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Is anyone actually using iTunes Radio?

Not trolling - I'm genuinely curious. I don't use it myself, but I don't listen to the radio much in general (I don't use Pandora or Spotify, either).

macmurray

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2011
The CRTC is most definitely holding this up for Canada. I mean, who else is going to make sure we meet our Bieber and Bryan Adams quotas? Seriously though, they demand that a certain percentage of content played on the radio is Canadian, I imagine they are trying to make Apple play by those rules too, which would probably be challenging at best.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
I believe some rumor a month or two back said it is supposed to come to Scandinavia in "early 2014". I believe this kind of service would be great for me, I don't listen to all that much music but mostly on the radio if I do.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Why does Canada keep getting screwed over by these Corporations? A bunch of these other countries like USA, and Australia have Spotify, USA has Pandora also, and a bunch of other music streaming services. Canada only has Rdio and Xbox music...

JamesWillson69

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2013
I can't seem to get it to work? I've gone into the iTunes Store app where it prompted me with an alert saying that it is available and if I would like to listen in the music app, (which I would like to) but it's not updating with the icon!! Grrr pls apple y u do dis! Haha #impatient

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
plus one for a UK launch in the next few weeks though, it's just a shame the time it takes to please all the various wings of the record labels in different countries.

But I guess that's nothing compared to the insane challenge Eddie Cue has of trying to wrangle the US/UK Cable/Sat companies into line for an improved Apple TV Service!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.