Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
What would be the smarter choice for my work phone? I will have my Note 3 for my personal but this will be strictly for work. Ugh two phones to carry....

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
IPhone. It's a great addition to iPhone. I had a Z10 and always wanted to office space it. Just my opinion.
BlackBerry is good for security and email, anything else it's iPhone.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Another vote for iPhone here. We can't get them at my job. We can get GS4's, GS3's and some old BB that isn't even running BBX. I have a Moto Razr M which is absolute crap. Rumor has it by the time I'm eligible for a new work phone, I can get an iPhone. I don't know if I will b/c I choose not to mix work/home on one device. I think I'd take a GS4 because there are a few times it's nice to have both Android and iOS in my pocket.

As for carrying 2 phones, my iPhone 5 and Moto Razr M together seem thinner than the Treo 650 I once carried around all day. :eek:

I don't recommend forwarding work calls to a personal phone. What about outgoing caller ID? Do you really want work people having your personal cell? Then there's the issue of work email going to your personal cell. I once participated in BYOD but our IT people made it so miserable that I invested in a separate wifi-only device for work email just so I wouldn't have to deal with their crippleware on my iPhone.

If you want to go one device, a better option might be to leave your personal cell at home. I do have personal email going to my work phone but I never answer it from there.

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
Another vote for iPhone here. We can't get them at my job. We can get GS4's, GS3's and some old BB that isn't even running BBX. I have a Moto Razr M which is absolute crap. Rumor has it by the time I'm eligible for a new work phone, I can get an iPhone. I don't know if I will b/c I choose not to mix work/home on one device. I think I'd take a GS4 because there are a few times it's nice to have both Android and iOS in my pocket.

As for carrying 2 phones, my iPhone 5 and Moto Razr M together seem thinner than the Treo 650 I once carried around all day. :eek:

I don't recommend forwarding work calls to a personal phone. What about outgoing caller ID? Do you really want work people having your personal cell? Then there's the issue of work email going to your personal cell. I once participated in BYOD but our IT people made it so miserable that I invested in a separate wifi-only device for work email just so I wouldn't have to deal with their crippleware on my iPhone.

If you want to go one device, a better option might be to leave your personal cell at home. I do have personal email going to my work phone but I never answer it from there.

Yeah work doesn't allow Android so I can't have work email on it. I can only have it on my work phone iphone or Z10. I asked them why, and due to too many ways to get around the security on a Android phone they do not support them. They won't let us use our own device. They must supply it. So either take two phones or use my work one primary for everything. And I rather keep them separate. Will probably use a Otterbox belt clip for my iPhone then and put the Note 3 in my pocket.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I take it the work phone is just for phone calls, emails and maybe some files? In that case blackberry since you have the Note for personal apps and usage. But if you plan on installing lots of apps onto your work phone I'd probably go with the iPhone unless you want to go through the hassle of side loading Android apps onto the blackberry (I wouldn't).

Your IT Dept. sounds kind of incompetent if their saying there's too many ways to get around Android security. They can bolt them down just as much as they want.

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013
I take it the work phone is just for phone calls, emails and maybe some files? In that case blackberry since you have the Note for personal apps and usage. But if you plan on installing lots of apps onto your work phone I'd probably go with the iPhone unless you want to go through the hassle of side loading Android apps onto the blackberry (I wouldn't).

Your IT Dept. sounds kind of incompetent if their saying there's too many ways to get around Android security. They can bolt them down just as much as they want.

It's the 3rd company I have worked for that won't support Android phones. My last two also didn't. All in the banking industry. They said I can put my APPS if I want on the iphone.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I want a job that gifts phones to their employees.

Out of curiosity, what jobs do you people have that they give you phones?

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Just for work I'd take the Blackberry. This thing is a godly communication device, I love my Z10 for that.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

It's not exactly a gift. The phone is locked down and there are typically restrictions on what you can and cannot do with it.

Personally, I prefer not having a work phone. Who wants to be available to your employer at all hours?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

Depends on what kind of budget the company has. My dad works at a school and they've always given him a phone. But not everyone gets that privilege.

They expect you to keep it until it breaks too.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If the company uses BES10, they can divide the Z10 into completely separated business and private areas.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

Trust me. That is NOT what you want. You really want to be available at any time so your boss can make you do something? Because that is the whole point of a company giving you a phone.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Take the iPhone. The Z10 is almost the worst smartphone on the market right now only losing out to the Q10. What were they thinking when they made those, let alone the active sync reliability issues...gah!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I enjoyed my Z10. But..... lets face it the 5S is the better choice in all regards over the Z10. Better camera, better apps, better software support etc...

Take the 5S, if you want to try a BB Z10 you can get one for less than €200 these days....

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
iPhone. They could have at least gave you the option of a Z30 instead of Z10.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
5s

I'm thinking of getting one myself when my update is due next year in May but for $50 or free with contract. Don't care if it is only 8 GB by then. I'm perfectly content with my HTC One/Nexus One set up for the next three years if I want. Android is my primary but iOS is for play and photos. Thing is I still have alot of reasons NOT to go back to iOS. But I also would like to get some of my apps back.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
It's the 3rd company I have worked for that won't support Android phones. My last two also didn't. All in the banking industry. They said I can put my APPS if I want on the iphone.

I'm in the banking industry as well and my company does not support Android, and they are a big fortune 500 company with over 12K employees. My choices are blackberry or the GOOD app on my personal iPhone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Trust me. That is NOT what you want. You really want to be available at any time so your boss can make you do something? Because that is the whole point of a company giving you a phone.

This. I hated having a company phone. When I leave work, it stays at work connected to my desktop.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

Usually in the Financial sector. Or upper management/IT

----------

It's not exactly a gift. The phone is locked down and there are typically restrictions on what you can and cannot do with it.

Personally, I prefer not having a work phone. Who wants to be available to your employer at all hours?

On weekends it gets shut off and left on the dresser until monday morning. The people that absolutely HAVE to contact me would have my personal number :cool:

----------

5s

I'm thinking of getting one myself when my update is due next year in May but for $50 or free with contract. Don't care if it is only 8 GB by then. I'm perfectly content with my HTC One/Nexus One set up for the next three years if I want. Android is my primary but iOS is for play and photos. Thing is I still have alot of reasons NOT to go back to iOS. But I also would like to get some of my apps back.

What do you use the Nexus One for?

----------

I'm in the banking industry as well and my company does not support Android, and they are a big fortune 500 company with over 12K employees. My choices are blackberry or the GOOD app on my personal iPhone.

Yeah. GOOD is what a lot of companies will use on iOS

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
On weekends it gets shut off and left on the dresser until monday morning. The people that absolutely HAVE to contact me would have my personal number :cool:

It's good that you have the ability to do that. Some businesses expect a response at all hours including the weekend. I was given the option to have a work phone where I'm at and I've turned it down. It doesn't help that I also live very close to my place of work, I know I'd be the first person they'd call when an issue that required engineering support came up.

KillaMac

Suspended
Original poster
May 25, 2013

Yep. The good app is what I believe they use as well.

----------

It's good that you have the ability to do that. Some businesses expect a response at all hours including the weekend. I was given the option to have a work phone where I'm at and I've turned it down. It doesn't help that I also live very close to my place of work, I know I'd be the first person they'd call when an issue that required engineering support came up.

I am in their IT department and just started as a System Admin. Going to try and get them to move away from blackberry bes and move to active sync on exchange and utilize mobile iron more. They can support more phones just the Security person in charge doesn't trust anything Microsoft or not blackberry. Iphones supposedly barely got approved recently.

Thats why I am required to have a work phone. On call and I won't give up my personal phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.