PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Refurbs?

curlyjive
Jan 3, 2006, 06:14 PM
I am getting a replacement IPOD for my ipod video thats had some issues. The Apple Store says they will have it for me in 2-3 days.

Is it likely to be a refurb? If so, could it come with scratches or cosmetic damage?

Thanks

iHateWindows
Jan 3, 2006, 06:16 PM
It could be a refurb, but Apple never usually gives out ones with scratches.

simon-says
Jan 3, 2006, 06:27 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Sending my 40GB 4th gen off this week. Good luck.

john159
Jan 3, 2006, 06:38 PM
wait, apple gives refurbs out if you send your ipod in?? How do they get the sratches to fully disappear and make it look brand new...? And shouldnt they give you a fully functional new iPod... instead of a used one

maya
Jan 3, 2006, 06:48 PM
Off topic a tad, however I always wondered if you buy a refurb iPod from Apple are the earbuds also refurb or are they new. :confused:

LastLine
Jan 3, 2006, 06:52 PM
For the cost of headphones? 99% sure they'd be new

maya
Jan 3, 2006, 06:53 PM
For the cost of headphones? 99% sure they'd be new

Well I do not mind buying new ones, however just curious. I am taking your response as a "yes its new." :)

Sorry I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic without any indication. :(

curlyjive
Jan 3, 2006, 06:59 PM
The headphones would definitely be new! That would be gross and a sanitary issue.

They probably do not re-use the external casing...just the drives, boards, or connectors inside. There is no way they could make them look new again...and there is no way that people would not raise a fit if they got back something that looked used! I know I will!

drew336
Jan 3, 2006, 07:03 PM
My 5G had a faulty battery and I have to send mine in for a replacement, too. The guy at AppleCare said it will either be a new iPod or a refurbed one but, if it was refurbed it would have a brand new casing.

maya
Jan 3, 2006, 07:06 PM
My 5G had a faulty battery and I have to send mine in for a replacement, too. The guy at AppleCare said it will either be a new iPod or a refurbed one but, if it was refurbed it would have a brand new casing.

I know they use a crystal based plastic and also metal polish to remove the scratches off the refurb iPods. I cannot remember the name of the product now, however there are many out there at present. :)

maya
Jan 3, 2006, 07:08 PM
The headphones would definitely be new! That would be gross and a sanitary issue.

They probably do not re-use the external casing...just the drives, boards, or connectors inside. There is no way they could make them look new again...and there is no way that people would not raise a fit if they got back something that looked used! I know I will!

You would be surprised what some companies do with headphones. They will fix the internal components and just use alcohol to lean the earphone surface. I have seen this done many times, that is why I was curious in regards to Apples position. :)

curlyjive
Jan 6, 2006, 09:47 AM
Well,

My IPOD replacement appears new....so if it is a refurb, then the casing was eaither restored or is new. I am guessing the whole thing is new because it would be hard with all the ramped up production of 5g's to start refurbing returned ones and get them turned around for use so quick. More likely, those returns will be used as replacements/parts down the line a bit or when the next model comes out in order to fulfill warranty obligations.

About the earbuds....yeah I guess they could reuse them! But they are so cheap to begin with....oh well, I don't use them anyway:)