Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muttlieb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
I am trying to install Boot Camp on my (2013) nMP using an OEM copy of W8.1. I get almost all the way through Windows installation and setup, but everytime I get a black screen when the screen says it is installing apps. The screen cycles between turning off and on with a black screen. Sometimes the cursor displays and I can move it around. I never get to the Boot Camp install of the Windows support files. I have to do a hard shutdown and then reboot. I can then boot into Windows and things seem fine. When I run the Boot Camp installer it goes through the process of installing drivers but hangs when it gets to “ATI Graphics” and I get the black screen again. Seems pretty likely the issue is with the graphics driver/software. I’ve seen a lot of older reports of similar issues, but couldn’t find a solution that applied to my nMP. Anybody have any advice or things I might try? Or do I just need to wait for Apple to issue an update? I haven’t contacted support yet but I might give that a try.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
If you're getting to that step, you shouldn't have a big delay when it's installing the drivers. How long have you let this black screen just sit? Feels like a gremlin in your install, as I had no hiccup in that step.

muttlieb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
I haven't really timed it, but I think I let it sit up to 10 minutes during one try.

muttlieb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
I saw in another thread that a new version of Boot Camp was released today. So I started over from scratch and tried the new version and this time it installed successfully.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I saw in another thread that a new version of Boot Camp was released today. So I started over from scratch and tried the new version and this time it installed successfully.

How did you 'try' the new version since it is a download that you'd have to install after you're in Windows? I thought you could not even get past the initial windows support file install.

UPDATE NM answered my own question, I downloaded the support files thru BCA tonight and noticed that the new versions are now downloaded directly, too

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.