Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I am a little far off of a Windows' guy these days, but I need to update the anti-virus for my graphic designer's PC (PowerSpec G200 w/Windows 7).

We were originally using AVG from a couple years back...

Is there anything that is profoundly the best anti-virus to date?

(By the way, not a McAfee fan... would use AVG again or I heard Kaspersky is good, but I am definitely out of touch in the windows world since XP went bye bye's several years back.)

Any help is much appreciated, especially since this is work-related.

Thanks

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Microsoft security essentials is the really the way to go. :) Free, plus you get incremental security updates like almost everyday. What's there not to like?

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
Goto http://www.eset.com and check out Eset Antivirus.

I've been using it for years. They have a Windows and OSX versions.

What I like about it is that it doesn't have all the bloat that other antiviruses have and it doesn't take much system resources.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I use Avast. I used MSE for a while (and promoted it) but it's now fallen out of favor as a primary solution, I'm not even sure some review publications will even classify it as an anti-virus product anymore.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I am not a fan of Microsoft Essentials even tho it comes standard on Windows. I've heard that it totally is not up to what it use to be for simple protections, especially with other web browsers besides IE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.