Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyways.

I just un-jailbroke my VZW iPhone 5s (A1533 model), wanted to start over again, do fresh restore, etc.

Anyways, I opened up iTunes and clicked Restore and put 7.0.4 back on my phone so I could get rid of Cydia. I was wondering where the files(firmware) was stored during the restore. Screenshot attached.

I searched Google for those ipsw(firmware) you see listed to see what they where. iPhoneHacks posted this:
5s
7.0.4 (iPhone 5s GSM): iPhone6,1_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw
7.0.4 (iPhone 5s GSM+CDMA): iPhone6,2_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw

5c
7.0.4 (iPhone 5c GSM): iPhone5,3_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw
7.0.4 (iPhone 5c GSM+CDMA): iPhone5,4_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw

As you can see, the iPhone6,1_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore is for the 5s which was used for the latest restore that I just did a little bit ago. I'm wondering what this iPhone6,2_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore is? It seems to be the latest for the iPhone 5s, why isn't iTunes using that one when I do a restore? Also, I'm on Verizon, isn't VZW, CDMA? Why am I using the GSM one?

Attachments

• firm.png
    firm.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I think iPhone 6,2 is the international version. I'm in the UK and I had to use 6,2 when installing the iOS 7.1 beta, after attempting to install version 6,1 but being told it was incompatible with my UK 5S.

edcredible

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
I was given an un-jailbroken iphone 4S a little while ago. I tried to do an auto update on the ios through iTunes but I keep getting errors!!!! I've been trying to troubleshoot the issue with no luck so far. Anyways, be careful when jailbreaking. From my experience since iPhone first gen, It's not as stable as it used to be.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks 6,2 is for Europe users your right. 6,1 is for us in the states.

I did have a question. Is there a site that provides the latest firmware? I was wondering if there is a way to download 6,1 from somewhere and have iTunes manually install it? For some reason I think iTunes isn't installing the firmware correctly. Should I delete the firmware from the folder on my PC that stores those files? Will it just download it again?

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Thanks 6,2 is for Europe users your right. 6,1 is for us in the states.

I did have a question. Is there a site that provides the latest firmware? I was wondering if there is a way to download 6,1 from somewhere and have iTunes manually install it? For some reason I think iTunes isn't installing the firmware correctly. Should I delete the firmware from the folder on my PC that stores those files? Will it just download it again?

It should download it again, if ALL files are removed, and IF you send your iPhone into recovery mode, iTunes will make you agree to the install etc, and then put 7.0.4 into the iPhone Software folder.

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
It should download it again, if ALL files are removed, and IF you send your iPhone into recovery mode, iTunes will make you agree to the install etc, and then put 7.0.4 into the iPhone Software folder.

So I just delete "iPhone6,1_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw" from "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Update" and once I hit Restore from the iTunes app it'll re-download the right ipsw for my phone? Why do I need to put my phone in recovery mode? Don't I just hit the restore button from iTunes to install the firmware to get my phone back to stock? I just want to get rid of all Cydia and JB files and have a clean install of 7.0.4.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So I just delete "iPhone6,1_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw" from "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Update" and once I hit Restore from the iTunes app it'll re-download the right ipsw for my phone? Why do I need to put my phone in recovery mode? Don't I just hit the restore button from iTunes to install the firmware to get my phone back to stock? I just want to get rid of all Cydia and JB files and have a clean install of 7.0.4.

Just hit restore. It automatically downloads the correct firmware.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Is iTunes restoring my iPhone to the correct firmware?

6.1 and 6.2 are non progressive codenames for iphone models. For example you would have a16gb iphone 4 code name 3.0 and a later released 8gb iphone 4 codename 3.3

Also, don't mess with the itunes automatic selection, you may brick your cellular part of the phone or the whole device

budmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
iTunes will automatically use the most updated firmware.

no im saying, i think the iPhone6,1_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw is corrupted. if i delete that file from the AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates will iTunes download another copy when I hit the restore button? Will it download 6,1 from the Apple server and then restore it?

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
no im saying, i think the iPhone6,1_7.0.4_11B554a_Restore.ipsw is corrupted. if i delete that file from the AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates will iTunes download another copy when I hit the restore button? Will it download 6,1 from the Apple server and then restore it?

Seems likely. Might as well just try it, no? If you're thinking the file there is already corrupted.

cammyg123

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
United States

I would think so. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.