Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, my Powerbook 180c appears to be on the brink of losing its second hard drive in as many years.

Last year the 80MB drive died, and I was able to scrounge up a working PowerBook 160 that donated its aftermarket 500MB drive to the 180c. Now that drive is getting flaky, making funny noises and failng to work all the time. Drive Setup and First Aid see nothing wrong, so it looks like a catastrophic hardware failure is coming soon.

I won't have time to fool with this tonight but hopefully I can get everything off the drive with Zip disks tomorrow before it frags. It's a shame, because now all three of my Powerbook 100-class laptops will have dead hard drives after 10+ years of service. :(

Replacement drives are a bit steep nowadays and I can't surf the net with it anymore (I have broadband but no dialup), so this will have to go into storage. A moment of silence please.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
can't you just go buy some cheap one on ebay? Or boot the computer with a floppy disk! the os should fit on one disk!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
macEfan said:
can't you just go buy some cheap one on ebay? Or boot the computer with a floppy disk! the os should fit on one disk!

Oh, it still functions fine otherwise, but it's rather useless without a hard drive. It's not a HUGE deal, since my Mac IIci is my main 68k machine, but it still sucks. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.