Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alembic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
I've got a MBP (Snow Leopard) with a drive that has two partitions, one for the OS and applications, and the other for my Home folder which has all my data files. In the Accounts preference panel I configured my account to access this Home folder on the data partition.

I have a Mac Mini with Mavericks server to host my Time Machine backups.

Is it possible for Time Machine on the MBP to initiate backups of my Home folder residing on the non-OS partition? I don't think so but maybe I missed something. I can use ChronoSync but then I would have no file versioning.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Time Machine will backup multiple filesystems, it just does not do so by default. Go to System Preferences, Time Machine, Options, and remove your data partition from the list of excluded items.

A.

alembic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
There are already some folders in the exclusion list but I don't see a partition entry.

Do I need to re-initialize TM to recognize the partition?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Do I need to re-initialize TM to recognize the partition?

You should not have to do anything special. If it is a mounted filesystem (shows up in Finder, etc) and not in the exclusion list, it should be backed up by Time Machine. Network (remote) filesystems are not backed up. It has been a long time since I had multiple partitions on a single drive, but that is the way it should work. You can drill down into your Time Machine volume with Finder and see what is and what is not being backed up.

A.

alembic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Yes, you're right. I just confirmed that TM is transparently backing up my Home folder residing on another partition. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.