Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A set of images depicting what could be a prototype of the next-generation iPhone were first shared with MacRumors by an anonymous Twitter user earlier today. Australian writer Sonny Dickson, who also shared some of the same images, told MacRumors that they were initially shared by someone in China who claimed the images show the "iPhone 6".

BgS1tGhCMAAl0Hc.jpg-large.jpg
It is entirely unclear whether the device in the images is a legitimate iPhone 6 prototype or whether it is a fake. Early prototypes of the iPhone 5s and the iPhone 5c exhibited a blank rear shell while the iPhone 6 shell in the picture clearly shows FCC text that is generally added to the phone at a later date. There are also no plastic or glass cutouts for an antenna, something the current-generation iPod Touch -- which sports a similar aluminum-bodied design -- has next to its rear-facing camera.

BgTASn4CcAEID0L.jpg-large.jpg
We asked designer Federico Ciccarese to conduct some measurements based on the photos and he believes the iPhone in the images is 4.7 inches diagonally and 2.3 inches wide, the same width as the existing iPhone 5s.

iphone-6-47.jpg
iPhone 5s overlayed. iPhone 5s dimensions (mm) in red. iPhone 6 dimensions in blue.
iPhone 6 Dimensions: 2.3" x 5.1" with 4.7" Diagonal Screen
Rumors have suggested the iPhone 6 will be manufactured in multiple sizes, with rumors pegging one phone at approximately 4.7 inches and a second between 5.5 and 5.7 inches. The screen may also be bezel-free, similar to competing phones from companies like Samsung.

A report from earlier today indicated the iPhone 6 may be thinner and lighter than the existing iPhone 5s, thanks to advancements in LED backlighting technology. The device in the images is indeed thinner, taking on a curved-edge design much like the existing iPod touch, the iPad mini, and the iPad Air.

The iPhone 6 may also include a sapphire glass display, which is both thin and durable. It is also believed that the iPhone 6 will be equipped with the Touch ID fingerprint authentication system first introduced with the iPhone 5s.

Even if these images are fake, they give a good idea of what a larger screened iPhone 6 could look like. More images below.

Update: A few readers have pointed out why they believe these images to be fake: repeating textures, wrong font, copied texture.

BgS1GwJCMAAqlrx.jpg-large.jpg
BgS1mc9CEAALU2L.jpg-large.jpg
BgTAXPBCIAANwHt.jpg-large.jpg

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 6 Prototype Depicted in New Images

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
How difficult it would be to take a photo of the upper part of the bezel?????

Edit: I realized that there are actually a couple of photos with the whole bezel on the original link...

Last edited:

jayem1234

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
Now THAT is good looking edge-to-edge design. Looks like a pretty realistic prototype, too...

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
If it's legit, not sure I like it. It may grow on me, though. Didn't like the 4 when I first saw it, but it's still my favorite iPhone.

Must say this looks a little "Samsung-y" to me.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
It's conservative enough to be real, so I say yes. Looks great, and will look much better in official photos.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
So?

Lol, at least the curves are a nice change. I had to put a case on mine cuz the edges were a tad too sharp.

With a large bezel-less display and Touch ID with a button-less home button.. I'll be completely down for this new iPhone.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Wow... I'll take one please! 64gb, white and silver, 5.5 inch....

It's embarrassing for Apple if this is the new iPhone set to be launched in sept. It leaked 7 months early! Someone in security will prob get canned for this.

Here's to hoping for a July launch... :)

Last edited:

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
yesss! i will make my triumphant return to apple as my main driver with the 6...see ya later android nice knowing ya

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
It looks real... because it looks just like the 5s. Apple is pretty conservative in the design/innovation field.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.