Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So beta registration is up and like many I have signed up but....

After seeing hands on gameplay footage today from all over I have cancelled my pre-order for the game. It looks thoroughly underwhelming to me if I am honest.

The world seems lifeless, giant mechs running around whilst grass and foliage remain unmoved even when they are being stomped on by a giant mech. Cherry blossom trees that refuse to shed a single blossom despite missile explosions occurring right next to them. Explosions that result in NO visible destruction to buildings or cause fires, buildings with 'shelves with ornamental clutter' that are utterly indestructible....

How fake is this world they want me to buy into ?

It's all so clean, lifeless and thoroughly last gen. After seeing the damage in multiplayer BF4 with the frostbite engine, to see something so static and lifeless has left me totally disinterested.

It's just the lifeless COD multiplayer maps - but with a mech rendered in 720p and upscaled....

So I hope I get to try the beta, because as it stands I have no intention of putting down €60 on this sadly.....

So how about you folks? Anyone still excited or like me turned off after latest footage?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I've seen a gameplaytrailer and while I'd guess this is a mecha-fan dream come true to some point, it's not my cup of tea.

But I'd be interested how the MP finally works - no campaign makes me curious as to how they 'make up' for this (or how the time has been used to improve MP experience). Probably not that much since no1 priority is to bring it out asap to push the box.

Regarding the maps: I've played BF3 a lot and am currently very much into Ghosts, which I think is underrated btw, and while the COD engine is ancient there is some truth for a fast(er) paced, smaller maps, 6v6 gun-game in how much the environment can 'interact'. :D
Not saying you're wrong though! Frostbite is perfect for BF but I think it wouldn't work half that well in a COD - not saying they shouldn't improve though. So for a fast-paced, 6v6, smaller maps, mecha-game....no idea really! :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've seen a gameplaytrailer and while I'd guess this is a mecha-fan dream come true to some point, it's not my cup of tea.

But I'd be interested how the MP finally works - no campaign makes me curious as to how they 'make up' for this (or how the time has been used to improve MP experience). Probably not that much since no1 priority is to bring it out asap to push the box.

Regarding the maps: I've played BF3 a lot and am currently very much into Ghosts, which I think is underrated btw, and while the COD engine is ancient there is some truth for a fast(er) paced, smaller maps, 6v6 gun-game in how much the environment can 'interact'. :D
Not saying you're wrong though! Frostbite is perfect for BF but I think it wouldn't work half that well in a COD - not saying they shouldn't improve though. So for a fast-paced, 6v6, smaller maps, mecha-game....no idea really! :D

To be honest I'm not a big multiplayer gamer so I was hoping Titanfall might persuade me, even though I've played through both COD Ghosts and BF4 single player campaigns, I have only had brief play of multiplayer, but aesthetically to me the frostbite engine just makes it seem more 'real'. That an RPG or Grenade actually destroy things which in a war zone is clearly what would happen. Of course fun factor is something I am not factoring into my just visual feeling about the game.

But it just seems to me if I was in a war zone with Giant Mechs - a cherry tree might at least fall or shed a few petals under the pressure - but hey not in Titantfall...... :)

At this moment in time I'm thinking of giving Plants V Zombies - Garden Warfare a try instead.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I was going to buy an Xbox One for this game. Then reality hit (monthly car note, mainly) and I kinda put in perspective if it was worth putting a dent in my savings all for a gaming system and one game (mostly cause I'm tired of CODGhosts). After some thinking, I decided to save the majority of my money and just settle for the 360 version cause all in all, I could give a **** about "next gen graphics," - its the gaming experience I want. The 360 is fine, especially seeing as my 5 year old HDTV probbaly won't display anything too much better than the 360 is capable of.

So all in all, I was excited. Then we got radio silence about the 360 version (Bluepoint Studios is working on it... and that's literally all they told us), then we get no beta, then we get our release pushed back 2 weeks.

So, idk, Respawn pretty much killed the hype. The only reason I'm excited is because it's a breathe of fresh air from CODGhosts, but I'm not even excited enough to watch any gameplays or anything. I'll most likely get Destiny on the 360 and save X1 for Halo 5 (which, once again, I'm not even excited for given how 343i treated Halo 4 and once again, no information whatsoever on its development other than one trailer).

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I don't get the hype and I know I'll get alot of hate for this but this game looks like COD to me. I know theres wall jump, mechs but all I'm seeing is COD: Mechs.
The gaming sites are hyping this like its next great hope of FPS but I'm not seeing it or trusting these "journalist"

I guess I'll have to play it for myself.

Bless

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Even if I planned on owning a platform this game releases for, I still would have no interest whatsoever.

- multiplayer only: no appeal
- cod style gameplay: no appeal
- mechs that are superfast, have no sense of might and weight: dumb. Why even have mechs then?
- boring static environments: somewhat trivial, but it doesn't help matters

I never once understood the hype about this from the beginning. I guess I am not their target audience, but it's pretty rare that I fail to see what ANYONE sees in a game. :confused:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep I have to agree.... just not feeling the hype.

I'm more excited for Lego Movie out tomorrow :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
MS bought FASA back in the day and they need to resurrect the MechAssault series. I've personally always liked the US giant Mechs over the Japanese "Heavy Suites" (seems more like just large armor suits instead of a giant Robot Mech).

Just my preference....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd like to like this game. When I heard the concept I thought it sounded ace, but from what I've seen of gameplay it looks a little bland. I imagine it will be like Assassin's Creed (tech demo first game, 17 sequels by the generations end).

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
This game is amazing. I see a lot of people comparing it to other FPS but it's actually way closer to League of Legends. The bots are on lower levels to push objectives, keep the action and pace of the game because the maps are big to fit lots of Titans, and to farm for a faster Titanfall. The maps are meant to be played vertically for human players, only touching the ground when need be. Titans are then like turrets in LoL, they hit hard but are easily destroyed with teamwork. They're basic purpose is for map control, keeping objectives locked down while also keeping human players wall jumping around vertically under control.

I see tons of excitement and also lots of hate, but I find that to only be people scared of playing FPS in a different way for the first time in a while. It's refreshing, and once people learn how to play the game I think they'll be excited. Graphics don't mean everything, if u want more color turn ur monitor up, I've seen some streams with tons of color, some dull. This game is nothing like CoD, just cuz it has aim down sights and sprinting doesn't mean anything. This game plays much more like a DOTA or League of Leagends in first person with guns. There will be 17 maps on launch and tons of gametypes, plenty of meta in the gameplay...I'm all kinda of excited for Titanfall:)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This game is amazing.

Unless you have the finished game you can not make such a 'definitive' statement ...

I see tons of excitement and also lots of hate, but I find that to only be people scared of playing FPS in a different way for the first time in a while

On the contrary - if anything gameplay is the same as COD multiplayer with a touch of Unreal Tournament 3 thrown in. To say it's new and therefore scary is only applicable to people who have only played games in the last couple of years - some of us here have been gaming for the last 30+ and I see NOTHING and I mean NOTHING new, or next gen. That is where the disappointment comes from, and it certainly isn't "hate" because in order to hate something you have to have at least had first hand experience with the finished game - just as to love it - you have to have the same.

Declaring love / hate for a unreleased game is just plain silly....

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I got a beta code :p

Not from EA but from Gamestop as part of my Level 3 award thingy.... Downloading now....

Will post my actual hands on experience when I have the chance to play it.

Last edited:

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
They've released ultra high res screenshots from the PC version playing it at max. Looks surprisingly awful, the lighting looks straight out of 2005. http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/14/titanfall-screenshots-maxed-settings-at-7680x1440-on-lpc/

Well, it is running on the Source engine which is at least 10 years old I think. Source games are usually known for their amazing and consistently smooth gameplay rather than graphics. Left 4 Dead, Dota, Half Life, Portal, Team Fortress...beloved games but not for their graphics. If you want amazing graphics i'd highly suggest the new Snowdrop engine and The Division, game looks crazy hot in the graphics department.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Unless you have the finished game you can not make such a 'definitive' statement ...

On the contrary - if anything gameplay is the same as COD multiplayer with a touch of Unreal Tournament 3 thrown in. To say it's new and therefore scary is only applicable to people who have only played games in the last couple of years - some of us here have been gaming for the last 30+ and I see NOTHING and I mean NOTHING new, or next gen. That is where the disappointment comes from, and it certainly isn't "hate" because in order to hate something you have to have at least had first hand experience with the finished game - just as to love it - you have to have the same.

Declaring love / hate for a unreleased game is just plain silly....

I've been gaming for 25 years. And obviously the finished game will be different cuz we'll have about 15-17 maps to play with and more game types. But i'm a good judge of the FPS genre since that's been my main thing for the past 15 years, barring some side stuff in Blizzard/Riot games...and Skyrim of course. I guess i'll explain myself and what I said better.

It's not that its something insanely fresh and new from day 1, it's that they took similar things from other games they saw, and made work much better for a fast paced FPS. The mechs aren't the same sluggish things u always see, they're very quick and agile, but still easily droppable with teamwork or another skilled player. They took the kill streak idea from CoD and made it much more balanced and fair. In CoD someone may never get a streak, and the game can become before lopsided fast...also less random since it's just Titans, altho the depth comes from what you can tweak on them when you get one. The movement honestly almost feels like Quake or other arena games, very fast and almost unrestricted, and works very well with the game.

Much like with Apple products, they took unrealized or poorly designed ideas from other games, and made them work very well for Titanfall. The game is fast, well balanced, well built from what i've seen, with dedicated servers that they seem to be taken a lot of time and effort to test so they work well not only on day 1, but for the life of the game. That is extremely refreshing IMO, since most games these days are extremely glitchy, unbalanced, just poorly designed.

To say the game is just like CoD tho is a bit harsh IMO.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well, it is running on the Source engine which is at least 10 years old I think. Source games are usually known for their amazing and consistently smooth gameplay rather than graphics. Left 4 Dead, Dota, Half Life, Portal, Team Fortress...beloved games but not for their graphics. If you want amazing graphics i'd highly suggest the new Snowdrop engine and The Division, game looks crazy hot in the graphics department.

I know what the Source engine is capable of ;). Engines are usually improved with new tech as it comes out which is why Left 4 Dead 2 looks better than Half Life 2. But why is the lighting so bad in the screenshots? Why do textures look poor?

Those games are just successful because of their art or graphics, but this game is supposed to be a "next-gen" game but it looks like it has assets from 2005. All those other games you mentioned looked great when they launched. And it's not just about textures and lighting, the lack of destructible landscapes and solid background is really off-putting for a game due out later this year.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Got my beta code early in the morning.

My kid had a lot of fun playing it earlier today... until the connection problems happened. Played very smooth on my gaming rig... and happy that it supports 3 monitors (NVidia surround) widescreen resolution.:)

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I know what the Source engine is capable of ;). Engines are usually improved with new tech as it comes out which is why Left 4 Dead 2 looks better than Half Life 2. But why is the lighting so bad in the screenshots? Why do textures look poor?

Those games are just successful because of their art or graphics, but this game is supposed to be a "next-gen" game but it looks like it has assets from 2005. All those other games you mentioned looked great when they launched. And it's not just about textures and lighting, the lack of destructible landscapes and solid background is really off-putting for a game due out later this year.

Could be they don't care bout graphics, could be cuz they held back for the last gen/next gen cross over like CoD. CoDs getting a bump in graphics on the next title, maybe Titanfall will as well. Maybe they didn't have time to squeeze even more out. Could be a bunch of reasons I guess?

----------

Got my beta code early in the morning.

[url=http://alternativepb.com/pbn/tfbeta1.jpg]Image[/URL]

My kid had a lot of fun playing it earlier today... until the connection problems happened. Played very smooth on my gaming rig... and happy that it supports 3 monitors (NVidia surround) widescreen resolution.:)

They've been having a few issues today, working out the kinks in servers, how many to support the community, all that kinda stuff. Just FYI because of the server issues today they may be extending the beta to run more tests...smart on EAs part after that Battlefield 4 fiasco.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They've been having a few issues today, working out the kinks in servers, how many to support the community, all that kinda stuff. Just FYI because of the server issues today they may be extending the beta to run more tests...smart on EAs part after that Battlefield 4 fiasco.

I'd wager it will be SIMS 4 that will totally cripple EA servers in 2014 and I hope to god they don't force online on it like SIMCITY.

How long is the beta for Titanfall supposed to last anyway? Mine has downloaded, will play later.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I'd wager it will be SIMS 4 that will totally cripple EA servers in 2014 and I hope to god they don't force online on it like SIMCITY.

I thought "forced online" was sort of a given for Titanfall.

Multiplayer-only?
Taking full advantage of "teh cloud"?
(Or was it "only possible with teh cloud"??)

What would one even do offline with this game?

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego

Yeah... wasn't worried about since it was the first day of the beta. Been playing for more than 3 hours straight... and no issues. Played just as smooth from when we played it in the morning.... LOL... it's morning again now.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.