Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

808?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong
As titled - why are identically spec minis USD$200 apart:

Example: 2.6Ghz i7, 4Gb ram, 1 x 256Gb SSD $1,099

Server version with exact same specs is $1,299

Assuming the OS X server additional software is only USD$20?

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
As titled - why are identically spec minis USD$200 apart:

Example: 2.6Ghz i7, 4Gb ram, 1 x 256Gb SSD $1,099

Server version with exact same specs is $1,299

Assuming the OS X server additional software is only USD$20?

Perhaps the server model contains extra server-centric software, besides the server itself? Things like heightend security and a custom version of OS X come to mind.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Perhaps the server model contains extra server-centric software, besides the server itself? Things like heightend security and a custom version of OS X come to mind.
No, you can upgrade to OS X Server on any Mac that meets the requirements. The Server is the custom version of OS X, and includes all the required software.

The only hardware difference I can think of is support for a 2nd drive in the server model.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013

No, its none of that. The only software difference is the $20.00 server app. Same Mavericks. You can add the server app to any Mac anyway.

The Server has two 1TB 5400rpm drives. There are also added flex SATA cable, screws and labor for the install.

Otherwise the logic board, CPU, GPU etc etc is identical to the non-server equivalent.

Perhaps the price difference on having an SSD in the Server version is that they have to do a manual build on the drives.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
No, you can upgrade to OS X Server on any Mac that meets the requirements. The Server is the custom version of OS X, and includes all the required software.

The only hardware difference I can think of is support for a 2nd drive in the server model.

No, its none of that. The only software difference is the $20.00 server app. Same Mavericks. You can add the server app to any Mac anyway.

The Server has two 1TB 5400rpm drives. There are also added flex SATA cable, screws and labor for the install.

Otherwise the logic board, CPU, GPU etc etc is identical to the non-server equivalent.

Perhaps the price difference on having an SSD in the Server version is that they have to do a manual build on the drives.

Ah, thank you both for that information. Good to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.