PDA

View Full Version : Just Purchased an iPod Video and...

Winstonp
Jan 4, 2006, 12:21 AM
After owning 2 shuffles, 2 minis, and my current nano, I threw down 250 shipped for a black 30 gigger on eBay. I figure it might be useful to use in my car.

I am curious:

1. does it have a video out feature?

2. Do they make a dash mount for it?

3. Can it play divx, or is there any good software that makes divx playable?

EricNau
Jan 4, 2006, 12:34 AM
To answer #1 -
Display videos on a TV or other video device using an iPod AV Cable or S-video cable if you have an iPod with video capability.
Link (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71901/wo/8W4WHVbb39NF2MfM0bW0DnICknX/3.SLID?mco=17DFF41A&nplm=MA045G%2FA)

wattage
Jan 4, 2006, 12:34 AM
1:You can use any plug that has the yellow, red, white A/V cables on one end, and a stereo headphone jack on the other end. If using a Non-Apple cord you have to switch which colors plug into the TV (i.e. plug red into white, yellow into red etc.)---search this site for the specific configuration.

2. I bought from Best Buy the 'iPod2Car' system $200. which plugs into the cd changer port of your factory stereo, it enable use of steering wheel controls as well as the iPod itself....it came with a cradle which BestBuy mounted on a swivel for me.

Winstonp
Jan 4, 2006, 12:39 AM
1:You can use any plug that has the yellow, red, white A/V cables on one end, and a stereo headphone jack on the other end. If using a Non-Apple cord you have to switch which colors plug into the TV (i.e. plug red into white, yellow into red etc.)---search this site for the specific configuration.

2. I bought from Best Buy the 'iPod2Car' system $200. which plugs into the cd changer port of your factory stereo, it enable use of steering wheel controls as well as the iPod itself....it came with a cradle which BestBuy mounted on a swivel for me.

I have a direct "headhphone" type input on the front of my sterio. I just wanted to know if a decent like mount coult be installed on my dash

Is the video quality of the iPod on a TV any good? I'm guessing it depends on the quality of the video

wattage
Jan 4, 2006, 12:46 AM
I have a direct "headhphone" type input on the front of my sterio. I just wanted to know if a decent like mount coult be installed on my dash
Is the video quality of the iPod on a TV any good? I'm guessing it depends on the quality of the video
Don't know about the mount for a stereo plug? Search the web.

What you said regarding the video is correct. I thought the movies on mine looked pretty good on the TV, I am not a videophile or anything though.

mduser63
Jan 4, 2006, 12:47 AM
The quality definitely depends on the video quality. Apparently the iPod is capable of outputting full 480i video, but officially it only supports 480 x 480 video. Apparently some people have found that it will sometimes play up to 640 x 640 depending on the bitrate and complexity of the video. The screen on the iPod is 320 x 240, so that's what most people seem to be using to encode their videos (myself included). I must say that while passable, the video quality at that size and 500 kbps bitrate is not really great on a TV. On the iPod's screen however, it looks really nice.

I think you're going to like your new iPod. I bought mine a week ago today, and I sure am enjoying it :).

Clix Pix
Jan 4, 2006, 12:56 AM
Interesting.... I first bought the 60 GB video iPod, which i dearly love, and then went back to the Apple store for a Nano to use in the car. I found that the larger iPod was a bit too big for my purse, and realized that the Nano would work just great in the car in the Road Trip device, while at the same time being very small and easy to slip into my purse when going into a store or some other place. So now I am all set for playing music with my Nano in the car but use my larger video iPod at other times. I'm getting a real kick out of watching video on this thing, never mind listening to all my music.

OTB

Chundles
Jan 4, 2006, 01:55 AM
3. Can it play divx, or is there any good software that makes divx playable?

No, it does not play divx. Apple specifically states the formats the new iPod can play on the website. You may be able to find software that will convert your divx files to iPod formats though.

Winstonp
Jan 4, 2006, 08:06 AM
No, it does not play divx. Apple specifically states the formats the new iPod can play on the website. You may be able to find software that will convert your divx files to iPod formats though.

any ideas on good software?

nightdweller25
Jan 4, 2006, 08:51 AM
Google is always helpful.

freeny
Jan 4, 2006, 10:39 AM
any ideas on good software?
isquint.
you will need the divx codec in your quicktime. If you cn play divx on your mac then you probably have the codec