Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So I am creating a 10-15 page summery on PowerPC and related topics. It opens and looks great in Pages 09' in which it was created, but the pictures are really blurry in preview and adobe reader. Why is that? I posted one of the pages below so you can see.

Attachments

• PowerPC Challenge 5.pdf
    549.5 KB · Views: 93

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Are you intending this for print?

All the images you used, are they 72dpi postage stamp sized images that were taken from the internet?

What settings did you use from Pages to export the PDF?

Note that your PDF opens fine in Preview on my system, but Acrobat 9.4.5 Professional doesn't recognize it as a valid PDF.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I'm not really intending this for print.
All the images on the particular pdf I sent you are from the web.
I'm not sure this is this is the problem, but the way I opened them in preview was just by changing the file extension.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not really intending this for print.
All the images on the particular pdf I sent you are from the web.
OK. Then all the images are going to be RGB at 72dpi. Between your images and what you've done to open the file in Preview the quality has suffered.
I'm not sure this is this is the problem, but the way I opened them in preview was just by changing the file extension.
Yes, this is most likely the problem. If you mean that you saved a Pages file and then changed the extension to .pdf then because Preview is an Apple program it was able to open the file and it displayed it at low resolution.

Just changing the extension of a file does not change the filetype. If I replace .txt on a text file with .jpg I do not all of a sudden have a jpg of a text file that I can view in Photoshop. Preview might see that it's a text file and MAKE a viewable jpg out of it but that's something entirely different.

Which explains why Acrobat Pro won't open it. It's a Pages file renamed as a PDF. It's not really a PDF.

In Pages you are probably going to want to export the file as an actual PDF and make sure that you have some higher quality settings checked.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
So how can I save it as a .pdf file? I can't find a way in Pages

To create a PDF out of a Pages document that can be seen in Adobe Reader or Preview simply open the document. Then go to "Pages" --> Export --> PDF --> Quality Setting (Best)!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 10.40.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 10.40.56 PM.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 128

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
To create a PDF out of a Pages document that can be seen in Adobe Reader or Preview simply open the document. Then go to "Pages" --> Export --> PDF --> Quality Setting (Best)!

That's not available in iWork 09', the option isn't even in the menu!

EDIT: hold on-you have to go to print (command+P) and select PDF+save as pdf, and select destination.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have the trial version on powerpc. Maybe that's the difference...
That most certainly would be the difference.

Probably the same difference as that between Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Standard/Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.