PDA

View Full Version : How long did your ibook harddrive last for?

WillMak
Jan 4, 2006, 05:20 AM
I'm approaching 7 months now for my ibook and was starting to get worried abotu it's harddrive life. On my old HP notebook, the harddrive would die once a year. I haven't left my ibook on 24/7 like I did my HP but I still leave it on a lot. How long have you other ibook users had your original harddrive for?

OnceUGoMac
Jan 4, 2006, 05:46 AM
I've had 5 hard drive replacements in as many years and 1 optical drive replaced for my 2 iBooks.

WillMak
Jan 4, 2006, 05:55 AM
I've had 5 hard drive replacements in as many years and 1 optical drive replaced for my 2 iBooks.

oh dear!!! 5 hd replacements in one year!!!??? Guess I better start looking for an external harddrive...

risc
Jan 4, 2006, 05:57 AM
I bought my first Apple machine back in November 2003, an iBook. The hard drive in this machine is still running fine.

Sic
Jan 4, 2006, 06:01 AM
oh dear!!! 5 hd replacements in one year!!!??? Guess I better start looking for an external harddrive...

5 in as many years means 5 in 5 years :)

California
Jan 4, 2006, 06:01 AM

Remember folks, Apple doesn't make the HDs.

But I'll bet it is the Fujistu drives that are crapping out on people faster than the Toshibas or Hitachis.

mad jew
Jan 4, 2006, 06:28 AM
Mine's a year and a half old and still soldiering on. As California says, the hard drive is not Appleware™ per se. :)

mpw
Jan 4, 2006, 06:30 AM
~2˝ years

maverick808
Jan 4, 2006, 06:58 AM
My PowerBook drive lasted just under 1.5 years. I think anything over a year is actually pretty good for a laptop drive especially since I use my laptop for long periods of time every single day.

Also, I'm not particuarly careful about not moving it when it's on. I'll pick it up and move it from the desk and sit it on my knee on the couch without closing the lid. I'm sure if everyone kept their laptops completely stationary when they were on then laptop drive lives would be much longer on average.

If you are worried about a hard-drive failing (and even if you aren't worried) the smartest thing you can do is make sure you make regular backups. I recommend something that does it completely automatically or else you'll do it once or twice then forget about it.

I used to use deja-vu (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/dejavu.html) to do daily backups over the network and then I switched to having my mac mini set up as a server with the pbook having a mobile home linked to it. This means the pbook backs up any changed files every 20 minutes. Both these techniques happen completely in the background so you are never bothered with anything and you have a very recent backup at all times.

DavidLeblond
Jan 4, 2006, 07:07 AM
2 years almost on the dot. Just got it replaced.

Applecare is a wonderful thing.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 4, 2006, 08:31 AM
26 month old iBook. Never had any problems with it. (It's used to make some "clicking" noises, which had me worried, but has actually stopped doing that, which I'm not sure if is a good sign or something that should make me really worried).

Actually I've never had any problems with the original hard drives in any of my (or my girlfriend's) Macs. I had one 3rd party HD that I bought and installed in my Pismo go bad, but even that worked well enough that I could take a complete backup before I returned it (after a year!) and got a new one.

I do consider myself very lucky in the HD department, though, and I'm pretty good at keeping current backups... ;)

stevietheb
Jan 4, 2006, 08:42 AM
My original hard drive lasted about 21 months before it started reporting SMART failures. It never actually caused any problems, but I replaced it just to be safe.

killuminati
Jan 4, 2006, 08:48 AM
My powerbook drive lasted for about 3 years. It just went the other day.

haiggy
Jan 4, 2006, 08:49 AM
26 month old iBook. Never had any problems with it. (It's used to make some "clicking" noises, which had me worried, but has actually stopped doing that, which I'm not sure if is a good sign or something that should make me really worried).

This is the same case for me, however around the 1-year mark the hard drive died one day and wouldn't start up. I was soooo upset. After doing hardware test it said it was the HD so I was bummed... it was just after the 1 year warranty. So, I turned it off.... stayed off of it for a couple hours, came back later and it magically worked. I was pretty happy to say the least. I backed up everything since then and the same problem has never occured. SMART status is still verified.

freeny
Jan 4, 2006, 09:10 AM
My powerbook drive is almost 4yo. Still working. Quite the trooper. I will also point out that I am pretty hard on it. Use it with Maya, AE, Creative suite, etc...

My CD burner seems to be waning though. Im hoping for my pb to last until at least june so I can get an intel machine.

livingfortoday
Jan 4, 2006, 09:26 AM
Four years on my Powerbook. But it was a Hitachi

Abstract
Jan 4, 2006, 09:45 AM
I've had my 12" PB for 2 years and 3-4 months now, and after reading this thread, I'm getting a bit scared of losing everything. :o

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 4, 2006, 09:47 AM
I've had my 12" PB for 2 years and 3-4 months now, and after reading this thread, I'm getting a bit scared of losing everything. :oWell then listen to the doctor (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=45044)... :)

WildCowboy
Jan 4, 2006, 11:30 AM
4.5 year old iBook, 1.5 year old iBook, 1 year old PowerBook...all still running fine. You mean hard drives can crash? :D

Ashapalan
Jan 4, 2006, 11:34 AM
are the hard drives in powerbooks and ibooks the same?

maverick808
Jan 4, 2006, 11:42 AM
are the hard drives in powerbooks and ibooks the same?

Yes except PowerBooks usually have higher capacities. But they are the same physical size and made by the same manufacturers and you can take the hard-drive out of an iBook and swap it with one from a PowerBook no problem.

So yes, they are the same.

EGT
Jan 4, 2006, 11:43 AM
My PB drive died with just under 2 years of service life. Piece of crap.

Macmadant
Jan 4, 2006, 12:21 PM
my ibooks been going for a year and a half now:) and been dropped with the screen open (not dropped by me i wouldn't be so careless)

CreepyArcade
Jan 4, 2006, 12:34 PM
This 1Ghz ibook was my first laptop and in less than a year's time my iBook was making some crazy noises due to the hard drive. I have not even used it all that much and I find it a little dissapointing. Heat and vibration I know can reduce the lifespan of a drive but the thing is I hardly ever move it (usually sits on a table) and the room it sits in is usually well cooled. I considered swapping it for another hard drive but didn't end up doing it... yet anyway.

On my PC I have a WD 74GB Raptor which has a 5 year warranty and that has been performing great. I've owned many hard drives (almost all Western Digital) and I never had a problem with any of them. So basically i figure that either it was bad luck that I ended up with a weak drive, toshiba drives are not that great or laptop drives in general are not very reliable.

Then again if drive failure is especially common on apple laptops maybe it has something to do with the design or other laptop componants. I don't really know but no drive should fail in one year... I personally think every hard drive should have a minimum 3 year warranty and I'd prefer something more like 5 years such as the one my WD Raptor carries.

2nyRiggz
Jan 4, 2006, 12:41 PM
dude! y r u trying to scare me with this thread....talking about hard drive dying....***walks off biting nails***

Bless

jayscheuerle
Jan 4, 2006, 12:50 PM
16 months.

rugger
Jan 4, 2006, 03:43 PM
I posted the following thread the other day...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=170522

After reading these posts, I'm beginning to think even more that my pb drive died on its own after two years.

Moral (one of) the story, postpone Applecare purchase until the 1 year warranty is due to expire, lest any cosmetic issues make the warranty and Applecare worthless anyway.

rjphoto
Jan 4, 2006, 05:08 PM
My 1st PowerBook, a G3 500 Pismo is still running on it's original hard drive.

My 2nd PowerBook, a G4 400 Titanium is also still running on it's original hard drive, although it could use a new battery to get me to next release...

rccola70
Jan 4, 2006, 05:23 PM
14 months

and still going.

ITASOR
Jan 4, 2006, 05:31 PM
My iBook G4: As long as I've had it...~4-5 months?
My iBook G3 500mhz (sold it a while ago): was over 4 years old...maybe 5...had original 10GB HD never with any errors.

maya
Jan 4, 2006, 05:39 PM
Remember folks, Apple doesn't make the HDs.

But I'll bet it is the Fujistu drives that are crapping out on people faster than the Toshibas or Hitachis.

I have a Toshiba in mine and its running strong after a year plus. :)

Alasta
Jan 4, 2006, 06:32 PM
My G3 iBook was three years old when I replaced it, and the original hard drive was still running fine. I'm currently using a two month old G4 iBook - does anyone know what brand of hard drive this machine would have?

iDM
Jan 4, 2006, 06:45 PM
You guys are killing me with this business peoples hard drives are crashing in like a year. I've had my pb for 2 1/2 and i would like to think its fine but now i am worried its gonna die before i finish typing this.

kwajaln
Jan 4, 2006, 06:50 PM
My iBook G4 - 11 months and all is well

mkrishnan
Jan 4, 2006, 06:52 PM

Mmmm...Based on the rated MTBF, failures within one or even a few years of usage should be relatively rare. If you're experiencing this, then there is something very wrong...either with your supply of power, with the environment, or with your usage of these drives...there's no reason for them to be failing that rapidly.

dorqiekat
Jan 4, 2006, 07:12 PM
20 months and still running. Dropped it once too, not too happy about that. :(

calyxman
Jan 4, 2006, 08:14 PM
My first one died after 14 months. I had outside warranty coverage at the time and had my HD replaced. From that point forward I was using a crappy Toshiba MK-GAP drive with the rusty ball bearing--and it was loud while spinning!

I replaced that with a Seagate Momentus 20 gig 5400 rpm drive. I've got 5 yr warranty on that, so it's some reassurance if you know what I mean.

;)

macEfan
Jan 4, 2006, 08:26 PM
my 5 year old ibook is putting along(the hard drive is starting to make clicking noises:()

I like western digital hard drives also.... never had one die!

mkrishnan
Jan 4, 2006, 08:32 PM
All of you who had hard drive failures...did you experience any warning signs, either in terms of SMART failure status or noises, etc? Were you able to save your data?

EGT
Jan 4, 2006, 09:22 PM
From that point forward I was using a crappy Toshiba MK-GAP drive with the rusty ball bearing--and it was loud while spinning!

I replaced that with a Seagate Momentus 20 gig 5400 rpm drive. I've got 5 yr warranty on that, so it's some reassurance if you know what I mean.

The Toshiba drive in my Powerbook that came with it (the one that died) was awfully loud compared to the Seagate Momentus I have in it now. Even the first few weeks of use I noticed it would spin loudly and I could hear clicking every few minutes. I thought nothing of it but maybe it was defective from the start? Hence the early death.

All of you who had hard drive failures...did you experience any warning signs, either in terms of SMART failure status or noises, etc? Were you able to save your data?

The smart status showed "failing" once I had booted from my external to inspect what was going on. It was "verified" 10 minutes before when I was booted on the internal. The computer just really started to slow with continuous beach balling and that was the last time I was able to boot from it.

It had been acting strange for weeks but I thought it was software related. I think I was slightly in denial that the drive was dying.

When I was booted from the external, I could access the contents of the internal. Would it be safe enough transferring a lot of stuff like iTunes library and your iPhoto library from a near enough dead drive? I just left everything as it was on the external incase I backed up a load of mush. :p

alexstein
Jan 4, 2006, 09:34 PM
I have a Fujitsu HDD in my iBook that I purchased 17 months ago, it's still working fine no sign of failure so far.(if you can say so)

..'knocks on wood'...

disconap
Jan 4, 2006, 10:28 PM
SMART is your friend. Check it often with Disk Utility, and every now and agin run a SMART test (you can find utilities like SMARTdrv that will let you do this) to make sure there isn't too much wear. Mine lasted a year, and my replacement ($150 for an 80gig WD at 7200) has been running strong for over a year, minimal wear according to my most recent SMART test. Good luck!

iDM
Jan 4, 2006, 10:57 PM
SMART is your friend. Check it often with Disk Utility, and every now and agin run a SMART test (you can find utilities like SMARTdrv that will let you do this) to make sure there isn't too much wear. Mine lasted a year, and my replacement ($150 for an 80gig WD at 7200) has been running strong for over a year, minimal wear according to my most recent SMART test. Good luck!

Know where I can find a program that tests Smart on Mac OS X? All i can seem to find is .exe programs and programs for Windows.

disconap
Jan 4, 2006, 11:08 PM
Try here:

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

e˛Studios
Jan 5, 2006, 12:35 AM
I have a Toshiba in mine and its running strong after a year plus. :)

From Profiler:

FUJITSU MHS2040AT D:

Capacity: 37.26 GB
Model: FUJITSU MHS2040AT D
Revision: 8105

29 months and going strong

Ed

doucy2
Jan 5, 2006, 12:40 AM
going on 3 years with my used ibook 700 g3
no problems yet (knock on wood)

risc
Jan 5, 2006, 12:43 AM
Yes except PowerBooks usually have higher capacities. But they are the same physical size and made by the same manufacturers and you can take the hard-drive out of an iBook and swap it with one from a PowerBook no problem.

So yes, they are the same.

No they aren't. They all run at completely different speeds, yeah they may be by the same OEM manufacturers but they aren't the same drives. Apple use a bunch of OEMs for their hardware, and the drives in the iBooks / PowerBooks are completely different.

e˛Studios
Jan 5, 2006, 12:50 AM
Here is the Fujitsu page for my Drive in the iBook

Its the 40GB model, ill assume this line was probably used in more than one iBook type. It is considered an "enterprise" calibur drive, seems to have a pretty good tolerance for shock too according to the site.

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/computing/storage/hdd/eol/mhdd/mhs2xxx-catalog.html

Ed

dorqiekat
Jan 5, 2006, 01:09 AM
so how do you know when your hd is about to die on you? does it just suddenly stop working? I have a rev c 12in pb with a Toshiba hd, and the only think I've noticed with my hd is that once in a while when burning cd's through iTunes it decides to go really really slow. Sometimes it takes ~3 min, and something ~9.

mpw
Jan 5, 2006, 03:49 AM
Ticking, grinding and regular system freezes forewarned of my disk's impending failure rushed out and bought an external Maxtor for my data but it took 8 attempts to back everything up, the first seven failed 'cause the hard drive froze *sweaty palms*

Sheriff Woody
Jan 5, 2006, 04:20 AM
Scary stuff :eek: - my ageing Tosh with (don't laugh) 6 Gig is still going strong. I used to work on PCs in the early days, I replaced a load of HDs, often people didn't have backups, it was a really sorry sight but I could rarely do anything. Nowadays optical drives are CHEAP! so I would recommend to anyone to go get one if you haven't already, think of it as insurance. Does anyone know of a HDD that is really old and still working? Oh by the way, I don't use the Tosh every day now...

Even when its going bad, just keep smiling.

risc
Jan 5, 2006, 05:00 AM
Does anyone know of a HDD that is really old and still working?

Yeah all the drives in all the older servers at work. To be honest in my time with computers I've only had one machine have a HDD fail and that was an iMac G5 Rev A and the drive was DOA out of the box.

20rogersc
Jan 5, 2006, 05:29 AM
Mine's over a year old and still going strong.

::20ROGERSC::

mpw
Jan 5, 2006, 05:47 AM
Scary stuff :eek: - my ageing Tosh with (don't laugh) 6 Gig is still going strong.....
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:p
What do you expect if you're going to put France as your location?

Alasta
Jan 5, 2006, 01:17 PM
Is the hard drive in the iBook something that the user can easily replace, or would it be best left to a professional service agent?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jan 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
Is the hard drive in the iBook something that the user can easily replace, or would it be best left to a professional service agent?It can be done. But it involves taking more or less the whole iBook apart. If you're a bit of a tinkerer and take it slow, easy and accurate you should be able to do it in an hour or so. But, you do void your warranty, and it's very easy to frell it up, so I always recommend that you get some professionals to do it.

(That is for an iBook under warrenty. If it's an old one with a busted HD, that can be brought back to life by just changing the HD, get a HD from newegg or wherever and go for it! ;))

Sunrunner
Jan 5, 2006, 01:28 PM
Scary stuff :eek: - my ageing Tosh with (don't laugh) 6 Gig is still going strong. I used to work on PCs in the early days, I replaced a load of HDs, often people didn't have backups, it was a really sorry sight but I could rarely do anything. Nowadays optical drives are CHEAP! so I would recommend to anyone to go get one if you haven't already, think of it as insurance. Does anyone know of a HDD that is really old and still working? Oh by the way, I don't use the Tosh every day now...

Even when its going bad, just keep smiling.

I have an old 233mhz G3 I keep running for nostalgia purposes, and its 6Gig drive is still going strong... going on 8 years now.

mkrishnan
Jan 5, 2006, 05:08 PM
Know where I can find a program that tests Smart on Mac OS X? All i can seem to find is .exe programs and programs for Windows.

I thought there was a widget also? But I can't seem to find it with Google....