PDA

View Full Version : Serious iPod Newb Questions

obrysii
Jan 4, 2006, 12:15 PM
I recently purchused my first iPod ever, a 60gb 5th Gen iPod.

I have had some pretty major concerns, however. Firstly, my Windows XP machine refuses to acknowledge it as a usb hard drive...it shows up in My Computer for about five seconds, and then disappears (and won't reappear unless completely disconnected and reconnected).

Secondly, I uploaded photos onto it, but selected the wrong folder. Now, I can't find any way to delete photos off of the iPod. Is there a solution? The manual says nothing of deleting the photos, and unclicking the "syncronize with photos" does nothing.

Finally, is there a way for me to use the ipod as a portable hard drive at all...? I mean, being able to attach it to a friend's computer and move files that are too big to email, and too clumsy to burn, and give them to him without him having to download much?

I'm sorry to post such a newbie question, but I don't know where else to turn right now. I'm starting to regret buying it...I hope you guys can help me out so I can feel that this expensive purchuse was actually worth it...

mduser63
Jan 4, 2006, 12:35 PM
First of all, connect the iPod then go to preferences in iTunes. Click the iPod tab, and check "Enable disk use". That will make it so your iTunes acts like an external hard drive. Note that you'll have to manually unmount it using the "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray on Windows.

As for the photos, I'm not sure what to tell you as I use a Mac and photo syncing is handled automatically by iTunes and iPhoto. I'm assuming that there's a folder on the iPod that will be visible after you've enable disk use as described above, but like I said, I'm not sure how photo sync works in Windows.

Lopez.T.H.
Jan 4, 2006, 04:17 PM
Ive deleted photos on many occasions. When you connect the iPod to the computer select view files and delete ths photo folder. All photos gone.

obrysii
Jan 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
I've tried both. It does not show up under My Computer as a hard disc. It doesn't even show up at all. And because of that, I can't get into the folder to delete the files.

Edit: I was able to delete the files, but it still refuses to show up under My Computer, even after checking that option.

rdowns
Jan 4, 2006, 07:41 PM
You may find more success in solutions over at

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/help/