Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
I'm having issues with activation after updating. My UDID is registered with Apple and the phone has been updated but it's telling me that Apple's activation server is temporarily unavailable and and iTunes is telling me it can't do anything because "a session couldn't be started".

Thanks so much for any help.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
I'm having issues with activation after updating. My UDID is registered with Apple and the phone has been updated but it's telling me that Apple's activation server is temporarily unavailable and and iTunes is telling me it can't do anything because "a session couldn't be started".

Thanks so much for any help.

Which beta? Betas 1-2 are defiently expired and beta 3 might be too.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
I am aware, did you get it fixed?

Oh sorry. I didn't. Had to revert to 7.0.4. I've tried several times and consistently get the same "apple activation server" error.

If I actually make it to where it asks me for my Apple ID I'll hit the Next button and it just reappears a second or two later.

It's frustrating but I've resigned to just waiting for the public release.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Oh sorry. I didn't. Had to revert to 7.0.4. I've tried several times and consistently get the same "apple activation server" error.

If I actually make it to where it asks me for my Apple ID I'll hit the Next button and it just reappears a second or two later.

I had this problem too, I just kept tapping next and after probably 20 taps it worked fine. I would do that or just wait until the public release, the GM will be out within a week and the public will be shortly after.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I had this problem too, I just kept tapping next and after probably 20 taps it worked fine. I would do that or just wait until the public release, the GM will be out within a week and the public will be shortly after.
It might be out within a week, might be more than that. ;)

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

Hmm if it is asking for Apple ID, that sounds like the iOS 7 activation lock. Maybe disable find my iphone and then upgrade?

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Another failure.

"Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your phone to iTunes to activate it or try again in a couple of minutes.

If this problem persists, contact Apple Support at apple.com/support"

Can't wait to sit around for another hour to restore and resync everything. :mad:

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Another failure.

"Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. Try connecting your phone to iTunes to activate it or try again in a couple of minutes.

If this problem persists, contact Apple Support at apple.com/support"

Can't wait to sit around for another hour to restore and resync everything. :mad:

So bizarre.. You are sure it is beta 5 right? Are you activating on Wifi or cellular? Have you tried both?

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
So bizarre.. You are sure it is beta 5 right? Are you activating on Wifi or cellular? Have you tried both?

I suppose it's possible that I have the wrong ipsw (embarrassing). But yes, I've tried on wifi and cellular.

The file I have is iPhone6,1_7.1_11D5099e_Restore.ipsw

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
That's beta 1.

Beta 5's build number is 11D5145e.

Wooooow. That would explain a lot. I'm in the dev center right now digging around and having a hard time finding the download (sorry for being such a noob :eek:). The only download I can find is Xcode 5.

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
Wooooow. That would explain a lot. I'm in the dev center right now digging around and having a hard time finding the download (sorry for being such a noob :eek:). The only download I can find is Xcode 5.

I have got one simple question, did you pay for the developer account?

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Can I answer your question with a question?

Can one access the developer portal without an account?

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
A yes or a no would be a much better answer.
What my guess is, that you registered for the developer centre, which is free. To download and activate betas you need to pay 99$ per year. If you have this subscription, you can easily download it from the dev centre.
No 99$=no betas!

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
I suppose it's possible that I have the wrong ipsw (embarrassing). But yes, I've tried on wifi and cellular.

The file I have is iPhone6,1_7.1_11D5099e_Restore.ipsw

iPhone6? Really? You have an iPhone that has not been released by Apple and you, or your company, does not have an Apple developer account? Typo? Someone "creatively" naming an ipsw file?

btsvchris

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2014
iPhone6? Really? You have an iPhone that has not been released by Apple and you, or your company, does not have an Apple developer account? Typo? Someone "creatively" naming an ipsw file?

The 6.1 in the ipsw is correct. It stands for the iPhone 5S :)
Still I think he just has a free developer account without a subscription and therefore won't be able to use betas!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

iPhone 6,1 refers to the iPhone 5s. That is the correct naming convention. The file he posted was the legitimate file for 7.1 beta 1 for the 5s. The issue here is he does not have the right file, which he cannot get because he doesn't have a paid developer account.

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
iPhone 6,1 refers to the iPhone 5s. That is the correct naming convention. The file he posted was the legitimate file for 7.1 beta 1 for the 5s. The issue here is he does not have the right file, which he cannot get because he doesn't have a paid developer account.

Good point ... I didn't consider naming conventions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.