Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelk7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Texas
Have not had to the ability to find a neat resonable priced desk. For years I have utilized an antique table creating an unstable keyboard and trackpad. An older Anthro keeps the HP and scanner. I have no lamps to focus on papers or area to spread papers. Do you have any udeas or do you have something similar?

I'm just missing something to make it more ergonomic or neater. Moments I think an IKEA would be great yet the wife then interjects her opinion. The dimly lit bedroom changed to office isn't a bright one. Have any great ideas what you have accomplished with a bedroom?

Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you agian for your input!
Michael

Attachments

• desktop.JPG
    desktop.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 913
  • Desk2.JPG
    Desk2.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 775
  • Sideview.JPG
    Sideview.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 763
Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Had this one a while...I wanted to maximise the space available and this does the hob really well...it's top quality and wasn't cheap, but should last me a good long time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 861

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
Currently rocking a (two) cheap desk(s) from a local shop:

foto.jpg

However, I've started to collect pieces to build my own sit/stand desk, it's by far the most ergonomic solution but comes at a decent price too. Currently I have the lifters and controls, so I'm now on the lookout for feet and a tabletop. I build a new PC and got a new chair, so just the new table missing now.

How about building (or buying, if you'd rather do that) your own sit/stand desk like I'm in the middle of?

Reactions: MacGurl111

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Here's mine:
picture.php

My daughters former bedroom turned into my home office. Ikea Gallant desk (modular so it can be sized to fit), Ikea Billy bookcases (on far warll) and Expedit shelving (far right). Custom made shelves on far left.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Here's mine: Image

My daughters former bedroom turned into my home office. Ikea Gallant desk (modular so it can be sized to fit), Ikea Billy bookcases (on far warll) and Expedit shelving (far right). Custom made shelves on far left.

Off topic - are those certificates of some kind on the walls? :)

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
For the last 10 years i used a gallant desk from Ikea, very nice and comfortable and very reasonably priced.

Just last month i redid my entire home office and i ended getting a dining room table and using it as a desk.

All the desks that are actually designed to be computer desks are just way too small for the amount of stuff i wanted to put on there.

I installed a through desk monitor arm from monitors in motion, ikea cable management racks and a powerstrip under the desk and you would be hard pressed to think of it as anything but a desk if you saw it.

I have to be honest i have a hard time understanding why people get a 3000$ desktop and put it on a cheap desk.

For me the chair, desk and all the accessories are as important as the computer, they are part of the entire experience of using the computer.

Last edited:

michaelk7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Texas
Desk Pictures

Pardon the upside down pics.
Have been searching throught desk pics in an effort to find something fairly large. The two monitors seem to take the real estate up. For those that purchased IKEA have you regretedd their strength?

The other desks look so super and neat. Have not acheived that factor yet.
Thank you for your pics so far!
Mcihael

michaelk7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Texas
The IKEA Galant is very strong -- it's got a steel frame. It's not a flimsy $100 desk.

Talmy and NY99 those are very beautiful setups. The look is functional as well beautiful.

Augustus, my English would play destroy the beautiful wood floor. dsh3 it is neat!

Hard to beleive 3 monitors handle it so well!

Take Care,
Michael

pukrnukr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Roc
I've been searching the forums for an idea for a desk too. Ikea sells a lot of different table tops in different sizes, colors, and materials. And you can pick any legs from them or get legs from anywhere. I don't have a picture but I bought the high gloss white Linnmon table top and am using it as a really big coffee table. I found legs I liked on ebay. The only problem I had is that it was damaged on delivery. I don't have an ikea near me so had to have it shipped. Ikea sent me a new one but one of the corners was a little banged up on that too. I didn't call and complain the second time and just used it. They also have solid wood kitchen counter top for a decent price. I was thinking of ordering one of those to sand and stain a color I wanted to use as a desk with some hairpin legs.

michaelk7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Texas

Face Ache

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Oz
My desk.

znWPyFP.jpg

2m x 2m with a steel frame. It winds up and down (60cm - 110cm) and has runners inside the desk for wiring and power boards, so the only visible wiring under the desk is one power lead and the phone/modem line.

qbaZaJQ.jpg

It's an old Telco cubicle desk, but I've had it for the last 10 years. I'm told it was originally $3,500 but I paid $200 including delivery :D (and it's very heavy).

If you've got the space and the inclination, I recommend checking out auctions for commercial desks.

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Talmy,
Wanted to ask yesterday, what is the nice looking light you have behind the iMac? Meant to say the English Mastiff would not allow a wood floor to last long.
Enjoy!
The light is a Koncept Z Bar

Are you running all three off of the iMac? If so, what are the specs? And what is the paperweight, I can't tell :)

Yes, it's all off the iMac, specs in signature. The paperweight is a New York Rangers logo.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I've had this IKEA Jonas (now the Malm) for a couple years and I'm enjoying it. In the future, I'm planning on combining a couple IKEA Galants (staying with birch veneer) and making a nice long desktop for a couple of my computers.

Sorry for the bad picture quality and the seemingly really bright LEDs. (They really aren't that bright in real life)

Attachments

• IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 728

michaelk7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Texas
My desk.

2m x 2m with a steel frame. It winds up and down (60cm - 110cm) and has runners inside the desk for wiring and power boards, so the only visible wiring under the desk is one power lead and the phone/modem line.

It's an old Telco cubicle desk, but I've had it for the last 10 years. I'm told it was originally $3,500 but I paid $200 including delivery :D (and it's very heavy).

If you've got the space and the inclination, I recommend checking out auctions for commercial desks.
I think I have been hanging out in the wrong paces for bargains. The Galant has been prominent in my mind. Sure they are like Apple and no sales.

Face Ache, NYRR, Dsh3 Talmy, you have given me ideas for desks and how to set a desk up. What I have also learned is the room colors and what you have done with the room as opposed to just the desk. This evening I have a freshly gained perspective for the many people that have so many great artistic ideas! Why, would I expect less for the Apple community.
Michael

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Have not had to the ability to find a neat resonable priced desk. For years I have utilized an antique table creating an unstable keyboard and trackpad. An older Anthro keeps the HP and scanner. I have no lamps to focus on papers or area to spread papers. Do you have any udeas or do you have something similar?

I'm just missing something to make it more ergonomic or neater. Moments I think an IKEA would be great yet the wife then interjects her opinion. The dimly lit bedroom changed to office isn't a bright one. Have any great ideas what you have accomplished with a bedroom?

Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you agian for your input!
Michael

How do you get all the stuff to stay on the desks like that? ;) Never mind I just saw the other post I guess your in Australia. :D

michaelk7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Texas
Thanks for your posts. I think I am going to purchase a ikea Galant corner desk. I have so many nice oganized desks. The trouble will be hiding all the cables.

Thank you for all your assistance and fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.