Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I am trying to put compilation CDs on my sisters iPod (iPod Video). She wants to be able to group the compilation CD as one album but also wants the music from the various artists to be displayed under there individual Artists.

I tinkered with the grouping, artist, and compilation fields in iTunes but no combination I tried gave the desired results. (Yes I turned on Compilations on the iPod.) Is the possible and how can it be done withough putting each compilation CD in a seperate playlist?

Thanks.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
For compilation albums I have on iPods, I can get to the whole album by Music>Albums>album-name or the individual artist's stuff by Music>Artists ... I think it's been that way since before they added the "is a compilation" flag in iTunes. Is that not what you're seeing, or are you trying to get something else?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Yeah, i think thats it. So you have the same album name on all the songs in the compilation, the individual artist for each song and the compiltion tick box, ticked?

With that configuration, it has the album under albums, and the album under compilations, but each individual artist does not show under Artists

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Yep. For example, I have A Mighty Wind: the Album checked as a compilation in iTunes.

If, on the iPod, I go into Music>Albums>A Mighty Wind: the Album , all the tracks are listed.

If I instead go into Music>Artists>Mitch & Mickey>A Mighty Wind: the Album , I only get the four tracks with that name in the Artist field.

That works on 3G and 4G.

The 5G iPod does have some real bugs with handling albums, for example a lot of people can't get to songs if an album name hasn't been filled in. You may be running into a related bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.